Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I figure Greig will get early games with the big club leaving Sokolov in Belleville as the first injury callup if he continues to produce around a point per game. Also if we are out of the playoffs I could see us being sellers at the deadline again and moving out one of White, Dadonov, Tierney (if he's still with the team) or Watson, leading to Sokolov getting the full time call-up.

Reactions: NB613

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Big fan and think there are a few guys who could be on the cusp but the big club looks to be fairly set and I would like to see Soks and the rest play in games with full AHL line-ups and at minimum sustain the pace they had this season or ideally increase it before looking at getting guys to Ottawa.

If anyone should be penciled in before the season starts it is Brown IMO. I know some feel he may not be with us come camp but I am hoping he is to prove or disprove he can hang once and for all.

Reactions: Sweatred

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It was interesting hearing Stone on the Wally and Methot show say that one of the best decisions that he hated at the time was BMurr persuading him that he needed more time in the AHL. Stone said that he thought he was ready for the NHL but in hindsight staying longer was a great decision and he thanked Murray for it. Hopefully Soks benefits similarly.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I figure Greig will get early games with the big club leaving Sokolov in Belleville as the first injury callup if he continues to produce around a point per game. Also if we are out of the playoffs I could see us being sellers at the deadline again and moving out one of White, Dadonov, Tierney (if he's still with the team) or Watson, leading to Sokolov getting the full time call-up.

Greig could get the usual 9 games to start the season that some prospects get, but I think he will be returned to junior, I think he will still be too young to go to Belleville. I expect that L. Brown will replace Tierny who I think Seattle selects in the expansion draft & Sokolov maybe after the TDL could either be an injury callup or replace Dadonov. I'd be very surprised if White is traded next season & I expect Dadonov to be traded in the last yr of his contract, if they can find a buyer.

Reactions: NB613

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
If Sokolov reads this LOL. Watch Egor Vegas hockey. Watch what Stone does. Because Egor, you look like a beer leaguer without a puck. You float and you are not effective on a forecheck, because you do not generate enough speed, chasing players and they always pulling ahead. Stone is still an average NHL skater, but a marvelous player. What he does, he locks his left wing all the time, as soon as a team is losing the puck, he pulls back to his area in a neutral zone, without mindlessly chasing players all over the ice. Another winger goes high and forcing LHD to pass a puck to the RHD, where Stone operates and where he meets the puck carrier. Work on your takeaways, open ice hits, learn how to clog left wing neutral zone and that's how you can become very affective defensively. There are no Scotty Bowmans in this organization to teach you anything like this. You have to figure this on your own, as Stone did.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
If Sokolov reads this LOL. Watch Egor Vegas hockey. Watch what Stone does. Because Egor, you look like a beer leaguer without a puck. You float and you are not effective on a forecheck, because you do not generate enough speed, chasing players and they always pulling ahead. Stone is still an average NHL skater, but a marvelous player. What he does, he locks his left wing all the time, as soon as a team is losing the puck, he pulls back to his area in a neutral zone, without mindlessly chasing players all over the ice. Another winger goes high and forcing LHD to pass a puck to the RHD, where Stone operates and where he meets the puck carrier. Work on your takeaways, open ice hits, learn how to clog left wing neutral zone and that's how you can become very affective defensively. There are no Scotty Bowmans in this organization to teach you anything like this. You have to figure this on your own, as Stone did.

Randy Lee was the PHO and Player Development at the time and worked with Stone extensively. This organization is pretty good at player development, you don't need Bowman types to make sure players git gud. Shean Donovan isn't a nobody... Sokolov has a fighting chance, im not worried.

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Randy Lee, current AGM, was the PHO and Player Development at the time and worked with Stone extensively. This organization is pretty good at player development, you don't need Bowman types to make sure players git gud. Shean Donovan isn't a nobody... Sokolov has a fighting chance, im not worried.

Randy Lee was fired a long time ago.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Randy Lee was the PHO and Player Development at the time and worked with Stone extensively. This organization is pretty good at player development, you don't need Bowman types to make sure players git gud. Shean Donovan isn't a nobody... Sokolov has a fighting chance, im not worried.

How did Randy work with Stone?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

this is amazing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He was director of player development at the time, its a logical conclusion. Cant tell what bone you're trying to pick rn

You said he worked with Stone extensively... just wondering what work he did with Stone... I know the positions he held in the org.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Im extremely confused here. You thought sokolov was going to be as good as stone. In his very first pro year?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think you have to plan it out that way, but at the end of the day if he comes into camp and forces his way into the lineup, plans can change.
Sure but he’d have to have a monster off season imo

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
You said he worked with Stone extensively... just wondering what work he did with Stone... I know the positions he held in the org.

Nobody works with you in the professional environment in NHL on your skills. You have it or you do not. AHL is not a development league either. Just to get accustomed to the speed It is just not happening with development. Everyone on their own basically. There are just no resources for this. Even practices are half-botched. Sokolov payed his own money in Cape Breton for a skating coach. And he does it again. The same coach who was working with Batherson too. The whole AHL and NHL development))) is the exit interview, they tell you BS just to get you out of the door on the garbage day.
Development camps))) Basically you have to figure out your niche yourself and talk to the players and look for their advice. Look at Brown, The guy is obviously talented enough all his life to be top 6 on any team. Every coach threw him into a role player position and nobody cared a bit. So Sokolov, like Stone before him are just on their own. Stone figured that out, I hope Sokolov does it too.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Nobody works with you in the professional environment in NHL on your skills. You have it or you do not. AHL is not a development league either. Just to get accustomed to the speed It is just not happening with development. Everyone on their own basically. There are just no resources for this. Even practices are half-botched. Sokolov payed his own money in Cape Breton for a skating coach. And he does it again. The same coach who was working with Batherson too. The whole AHL and NHL development))) is the exit interview, they tell you BS just to get you out of the door on the garbage day.
Development camps))) Basically you have to figure out your niche yourself and talk to the players and look for their advice. Look at Brown, The guy is obviously talented enough all his life to be top 6 on any team. Every coach threw him into a role player position and nobody cared a bit. So Sokolov, like Stone before him are just on their own. Stone figured that out, I hope Sokolov does it too.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Yeah maybe extensively was the wrong word. My point, with context, was that our organization's support staff is pretty good at developing players. Stone wasn't just told to go out there and figure it out on his own.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
2uyk82.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad