Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm trying to think of an example....any sens players outside round 1 ever made it to opening day in their draft year? Nobody in recent memory comes to mind.
Aside from Formenton, It's mostly guys from a while back that got games in their first year after the draft.

Zack Smith got a game his first year after being drafted, not opening night mind you,
Arvedsson lined up opening night, though he was drafted as a 26 year old
Dackell did it as a 24 year old
Neckar played the second half of the season, though by today's standards, he'd be a 1st round pick

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I see some listing him as LW, he’s also been listed as RW. I think he played a bit of both at the WJC. With the sens dearth of prospects at RW and propensity to like RH guys on the right and LH guys on the left, I’d bet the sens want him to play right wing.

Does anyone know what his preference is?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I see some listing him as LW, he’s also been listed as RW. I think he played a bit of both at the WJC. With the sens dearth of prospects at RW and propensity to like RH guys on the right and LH guys on the left, I’d bet the sens want him to play right wing.

Played his off wing, and I’d imagine he prefers it

Reactions: Bileur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe Sokolov can develop some Evgeny Artyukhin style goonery to his game. If he can become a better version of Artyukhin that would be massive for the Sens. Sokolov seems like a smarter player than Artyukhin so maybe he could do a better job of playing right on the edge and picking his spots better.

Evgeny was a BIG big boy! 6'4" and 254 Lbs. He did not last long in the NHL but had a long career in hockey.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Evgeny was a BIG big boy! 6'4" and 254 Lbs. He did not last long in the NHL but had a long career in hockey.
Yeah Artyukhin was a massive wrecking ball on the ice. He had great straight line speed, was strong and powerful, hit to hurt, got into scrums and threw punches like a heavyweight. He was kind of like a 6'4 250 lbs super pest. He had some raw skill but didn't really work out in the NHL but had a long KHL career.

Sokolov could be a much better player overall and have way better production. I brought up Artyukhin because others were referring to Sokolov asa wrecking ball. If Sokolov can develop the same kind of frame as Artyukhin with the same meanness and physicality and then combine that with his own skills, hockey iq and maturity then he could be a monster for Ottawa.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah Artyukhin was a massive wrecking ball on the ice. He had great straight line speed, was strong and powerful, hit to hurt, got into scrums and threw punches like a heavyweight. He was kind of like a 6'4 250 lbs super pest. He had some raw skill but didn't really work out in the NHL but had a long KHL career.

Sokolov could be a much better player overall and have way better production. I brought up Artyukhin because others were referring to Sokolov asa wrecking ball. If Sokolov can develop the same kind of frame as Artyukhin with the same meanness and physicality and then combine that with his own skills, hockey iq and maturity then he could be a monster for Ottawa.

i would like to have a player or two on the team that hit cleanly like Artyukin did and handle the consequences as he did. If that could be combined with some net front presence and a knack for scoring a few dirty goals, it would add an element the Senators have been missing.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Watching now, love him saying how he wants to show everyone that his skating has improved in the last 9 months. A coachable guy who will always work to improve (a la Pageau).

And man his hands are huge!
He has an excellent attitude so far. I like how he mentioned that he wants to demonstrate that he can play at the next level and when asked about trying to make Ottawa's roster out of camp he said that if he is there it is because he deserves it but that he is happy with playing in the AHL is just proving he can play at that level. I also like how he emphasized the importance of being coachable and listening to what the coaches want from him. The coaches in Ottawa and Belleville will really like his attitude and he will get a lot more opportunities because of that.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
He has an excellent attitude so far. I like how he mentioned that he wants to demonstrate that he can play at the next level and when asked about trying to make Ottawa's roster out of camp he said that if he is there it is because he deserves it but that he is happy with playing in the AHL is just proving he can play at that level. I also like how he emphasized the importance of being coachable and listening to what the coaches want from him. The coaches in Ottawa and Belleville will really like his attitude and he will get a lot more opportunities because of that.

He's literally breaking all those old Russian stereotypes. I love this kids attitude and having Batherson in the system just adds to his potential too.

So far we've drafted a lot of good character players this year who also have skill (Stutzle, Sanderson, Greig, Sokolov). I like what I've heard from each one of them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

His pics all show him shooting right, including the pic above this post, but like most these days I assume he can play either side.

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Seems to me a lot of Russian wingers prefer to play their off wing. It would be best for him if he can play either equally well
Agreed. Ottawa seems to have added some really good depth for a future team with Jarventie, Sokolov, Formenton & Pinto all bringing some good size, grit, speed & offensive ability to the bottom two lines, if that's where they end up. This would really spread out the offence a little better & improve the bottom six significantly, if they all make it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While he may not be the best skater, although improving, it's Sokolov's playmaking ability, vision, passing & shot that makes him a valuable depth player for a future team. IMO he adds more skill to the bottom six & if they have Formenton on his line on the left side, that guy brings enough speed for two players. Both guys could compliment each other & all they would need is a decent centre.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Shot practice.

#slots

If I would be his couch. I would tell him not to depend on the strength of his wrists only. Making a good shot is a difficult skill to master and technics are the same like in golf. You have to use you hips and use your whole body in one smooth motion. His shot is strong, but he could injure his wrists very quickly. He has to study the way the best players shoot the puck. Using the whole body. Like Ovechkin.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If I would be his couch. I would tell him not to depend on the strength of his wrists only. Making a good shot is a difficult skill to master and technics are the same like in golf. You have to use you hips and use your whole body in one smooth motion. His shot is strong, but he could injure his wrists very quickly. He has to study the way the best players shoot the puck. Using the whole body. Like Ovechkin.

That is not a worry, Sokolov is better than Ovechkin at the same age.

And I don't think he'd be profesional hockey player if you were his couch, he'd be too lazy

:sarcasm:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
That is not a worry, Sokolov is better than Ovechkin at the same age.

And I don't think he'd be profesional hockey player if you were his couch, he'd be too lazy

:sarcasm:

Ovechkin and Malkin already dominated team Canada during world juniors. It was two men show on a bad Russian squad. If you remember. I am just saying, skating is one thing, but he has to improve in many other areas if his skating will not get to or exceed the acceptable NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad