Post-Game Talk: #60: Lightning at FLYERS, Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, Myers is a stud, he'd just stand out there, anticipate every TB pass, and intimidate them with his size.
MacDonald didn't play well, neither did Ghost in that first period either, but MacDonald plays 3rd pair minutes, Ghost . . .
Myers will help in two years, but he's going to make his share of mistakes.

Interesting look at the Lightning:
6 forwards play 13+ ES minutes: Kucherov (#58), Point (#79), Stamkos (#1), Johnson (UDFA), Guorde (UDFA), Palat (#208). Weights - 178, 166, 194, 183, 172, 188
Johnson - 2 AHL seasons
Guorde - 4 AHL seasons
Palat - 2 AHL seasons
Palat only has 13 ES points, he's more of a mucker.
Killorn has 24 ES points, Miller 19, Cirelli 18, Joseph 18, Callahan 13, Erne 12. Paquette 12.
The role players fill their roles well.
And the top offensive players don't play ridiculous minutes, Kucherov (15:48) and Point (15:15) are the only ones over 15 minutes.

The defense is big and experienced, only young guys are Sergachyov (20) and Cernak (21)
They're 4th and 5th in ES minutes, just ahead of Girardi and Coburn.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I basically watched a far superior team skate circles around the inferior team.
TB is the class of the league and they're playing at the top of their game right now. That bunch is going to make many teams look bad; especially a mediocre one.
Actually there is a silver lining in that game. Fletcher can see the obvious; this team is not that good. The "core" has to be broken up. It has never won a PO series and won't get into the POs this year. Its past time to start making serious changes to rebuild the club.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
No, Myers is a stud, he'd just stand out there, anticipate every TB pass, and intimidate them with his size.
MacDonald didn't play well, neither did Ghost in that first period either, but MacDonald plays 3rd pair minutes, Ghost . . .
Myers will help in two years, but he's going to make his share of mistakes.

Interesting look at the Lightning:
6 forwards play 13+ ES minutes: Kucherov (#58), Point (#79), Stamkos (#1), Johnson (UDFA), Guorde (UDFA), Palat (#208). Weights - 178, 166, 194, 183, 172, 188
Johnson - 2 AHL seasons
Guorde - 4 AHL seasons
Palat - 2 AHL seasons
Palat only has 13 ES points, he's more of a mucker.
Killorn has 24 ES points, Miller 19, Cirelli 18, Joseph 18, Callahan 13, Erne 12. Paquette 12.
The role players fill their roles well.
And the top offensive players don't play ridiculous minutes, Kucherov (15:48) and Point (15:15) are the only ones over 15 minutes.

The defense is big and experienced, only young guys are Sergachyov (20) and Cernak (21)
They're 4th and 5th in ES minutes, just ahead of Girardi and Coburn.

Just like having anyone else as a coach vs. Hakstol wouldn't change this team at all right?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, no way Myers will help you for the next two years. He's going to be making mistakes while the guys in front of him are veterans who play perfectly.

Him doubting Myers pretty much guarantees Myers will be really good.

He only hates on our good players, like Sanheim, TK, Ghost, Voracek, Giroux, etc....

Reactions: baudib1

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Him doubting Myers pretty much guarantees Myers will be really good.

He only hates on our good players, like Sanheim, TK, Ghost, Voracek, Giroux, etc....

When is the last time the Hive whiffed? We've been right about TK, Sanheim, Lindblom, Hakstol, VDV, coming into the year with that goalie tandem..I'm sure there's more this year and last. The Contrary Hive on the other hand whiffed on all that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When is the last time the Hive whiffed? We've been right about TK, Sanheim, Lindblom, Hakstol, VDV, coming into the year with that goalie tandem..I'm sure there's more this year and last. The Contrary Hive on the other hand whiffed on all that.
TK, Sanheim, Lindblom, Voracek/Ghost/Giroux bouncing back last year, Hakstol, Hagg, Manning, Lehtera, VDV, MacDonald, goalie usage... literally every topic has went as the Hive predicted and the anti-Hive remain incorrect on all of it and refuse to admit they were wrong.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
chief-gif.gif

Lmao that guy is the final authority on being a p***y nerd.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
The players are great, it's all the coach's fault!
Doesn't that mantra get old?

Ghost is a solid defenseman, but he's not a 1st pair guy, neither is Sanheim, Provorov needs a veteran top four RHD next to him, then sort out the rest.

Giroux shouldn't be playing center, unfortunately, that'll probably wait for Frost.

Patrick needs to play with real forwards.

TB isn't the fastest team in the league, but they're the quickest and the quickest decision makers and great at passing and catching (underrated skill) the puck, so the puck and the players are constantly moving. Flyers have average speed but also average quickness and they're below average decision makers - too many players like to hold the puck and wait for the perfect pass. Flyers struggle with putting together a sequence of quick, short passes stick to stick to move the puck.

However, one myth, TB is not a true smurf team, they have one of the biggest defensive groups in the league, Stralman at 5'11 190 is the only D-man listed under 215 lbs. So they play quick, smurf forwards in front of battleship defensemen. Their top two lines are small and very quick, their bottom two lines are full sized and check. They've become a more balanced team.

TB is why Flyers should go for Keefe over Q, the game has changed over the last decade.
Cooper was an AHL coach for 3 years before he was promoted to HC.
Giroux is fine at center. The problem is he is playing with our two least defensively responsible wingers and not being sheltered.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Which is why Giroux should move back to wing when Frost arrives.
Exactly who on this team is a "defensively responsible forward?"
Maybe Lindblom, but he's still a rookie
Which is why they'd be crazy to trade Farabee, this team needs more skilled, two way forwards.

I'm all for playing Myers, I just don't think he'll help the team win this year.
Which is kinda why I'm hoping they fall out of playoff contention and get away from "win now" moves.

The team hasn't played better under Gordon than Hakstol, now that Hart is coming back to earth, the warts are obvious to all but a few fanatical believers. This team isn't built for 21st century hockey. Better coaching will help, but coaches can't skate, pass or shoot.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
now that Hart is coming back to earth

This is not a gotcha question, could you please elaborate on this? In which games is he coming back down and compared to which games?

I haven't noticed any significant changes one way or another, hence why I would appreciate knowing what I should focus on

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is not a gotcha question, could you please elaborate on this? In which games is he coming back down and compared to which games?

I haven't noticed any significant changes one way or another, hence why I would appreciate knowing what I should focus on

A single game sample size against the best team since the 90s Red Wings while playing 3 games in 4 days is how he is coming to that conclusion.

In other words it's a premature, bad conclusion. Dude is still at .917 for the month and put up .974 3 days ago on the second half of a back to back.

Basically, DH is deeply desperate to ignore the fact that he's wrong about Hakstol being a bad coach and will say any ridiculous thing he must.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
A single game sample size against the best team since the 90s Red Wings while playing 3 games in 4 days is how he is coming to that conclusion.

In other words it's a premature, bad conclusion. Dude is still at .917 for the month and put up .974 3 days ago on the second half of a back to back.

Basically, DH is deeply desperate to ignore the fact that he's wrong about Hakstol being a bad coach and will say any ridiculous thing he must.

Team scores 6 goals in a game while giving up 5- "theyre only winning because of goalies"

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Even struggling to compare Hak to Gordon, another horrifically bad non-NHL coach, shows how bad he really was.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Both were better than Weight on the Islanders, now that was terrible coaching.
Hakstol got the Flyers to the playoffs 2 of 3 seasons with a mediocre team, the same way Berube got them to the playoffs with a mediocre team.

Anyone who thinks the current roster with an average goalie is a top 8 team is smoking something good (send to PO BOX . . .).

They've had average to below average talent for 7 years, they made the playoffs on the back of a conservative scheme and Mason twice, and a miracle last year. When the goalies were average or below, they missed the playoffs.

The talent is finally arriving, but gee, top young prospects actually take a couple years to develop, who would have thought? This year Hart and Lindblom with Myers and Morin and NAK and Bailey getting a cameo, next year those four plus Frost plus ???.

A better coach is not going to perform miracles, Hart is already doing that.

Reactions: marcsson68

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

I hoped there would be proper explanation of that statement - I suspected we might be talking about just one game (against a team that is 78.7% in pts so far) but I hoped it wouldnt be the case since 1 < 289. But you are the only one to answer so far, sooooo....

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Gudas having a hearing but Hagg not having a hearing is a bit ridiculous.

Never even thought Gudas would have one, but was pretty sure Hagg would.

Reactions: mja

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart was .931 S% during the win streak, that wasn't sustainable.
Figure more likely is .915-.920% for the next couple seasons as he learns on the job.
Good enough to win, but not good enough to carry a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad