Post-Game Talk: #60: Lightning at FLYERS, Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Gudas having a hearing but Hagg not having a hearing is a bit ridiculous.

Never even thought Gudas would have one, but was pretty sure Hagg would.
I missed the Hagg hit, what happened? And I can't believe Gudas is having a hearing for that little tap. I guess it's just retribution against the Flyers for forcing George Dufus-Parros into suspending Malkin for attempt to blind.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

torkad frukt

Mar 8, 2013
I missed the Hagg hit, what happened? And I can't believe Gudas is having a hearing for that little tap. I guess it's just retribution against the Flyers for forcing George Dufus-Parros into suspending Malkin for attempt to blind.
Gudas suspended two games and will miss the outdoor game...

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Save percentage has been going down for a couple years, it's at .904 this season after being .908 last year and .910 for two straight years before that.

So .915 is solidly above average, even among starters. .920 is pretty close to All-Star level.

Also deadhead is mostly just pulling arbitrary numbers out of his ass and has no idea what Hart will do next year.

I'd suggest we stop underestimating him.

Reactions: Starat327

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Both were better than Weight on the Islanders, now that was terrible coaching.
Hakstol got the Flyers to the playoffs 2 of 3 seasons with a mediocre team, the same way Berube got them to the playoffs with a mediocre team.

Anyone who thinks the current roster with an average goalie is a top 8 team is smoking something good (send to PO BOX . . .).

They've had average to below average talent for 7 years, they made the playoffs on the back of a conservative scheme and Mason twice, and a miracle last year. When the goalies were average or below, they missed the playoffs.

The talent is finally arriving, but gee, top young prospects actually take a couple years to develop, who would have thought? This year Hart and Lindblom with Myers and Morin and NAK and Bailey getting a cameo, next year those four plus Frost plus ???.

A better coach is not going to perform miracles, Hart is already doing that.

Neither Berube nor Hakstol got their teams to the playoffs. Their teams got there despite terrible decisions holding them down.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Neither Berube nor Hakstol got their teams to the playoffs. Their teams got there despite terrible decisions holding them down.

I'm not sure if you heard or not, but the islanders are only better because of goaltending, as well.

It has nothing to do with Letting up 16% less shots per game year over year or a PK that is improved by 7% over last year(to date). You know, systems stuff that coaches who can coach in the NHL implement.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Well at least Myers gets to play so that’s good news.

Somehow Hagg whose action was much worse gets away with a fine...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not sure if you heard or not, but the islanders are only better because of goaltending, as well.

It has nothing to do with Letting up 16% less shots per game year over year or a PK that is improved by 7% over last year(to date). You know, systems stuff that coaches who can coach in the NHL implement.

Yeah, definitely has nothing to do with getting one of the best gameplanners in the league.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Consider that Weight was awful, far worse than Hakstol or Gordon or Berube.
Any decent coach would have improved that team.

But if you think goalies don't matter, explain the Flyers under Gordon or St Louis under Berube.
On the other hand, how about Hitchcock in Edmonton? Or Chicago under Q last year?

Coaches matter, but talent matters more, and goalies most of all.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Haggs history or lack there of kept him from suspension. But now he has a record.
Gudas has a rap sheet, and weather you agree with it or not he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. Keep your stick down dummy.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Consider that Weight was awful, far worse than Hakstol or Gordon or Berube.
Any decent coach would have improved that team.

But if you think goalies don't matter, explain the Flyers under Gordon or St Louis under Berube.
On the other hand, how about Hitchcock in Edmonton? Or Chicago under Q last year?

Coaches matter, but talent matters more, and goalies most of all.

Kindly point out to me where I said goalies don't matter. I'd wait for you to find it, but I'll save you the effort. I never did, and that's largely because I played competitively as one for many years. But I also understand how much easier my job was when the system my coach played focused on better shot management and limiting high risk chances. You can make any goalie look good with the right system. See Smith, Mike and Brygalov, Ilya.

Since you brought up that talent matters more though, how do you explain that despite losing a franchise center, who had more talent than anyone on the roster, the Islanders are still better than last year?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You mean his patented wedging of a guy who just got rid of the puck against the wall isn't instilling fear in anyone?

Yeah, Hogg hits for hitting's sake. When Gudas and Provorov are on, they pin guys to the boards and those guys move the puck, but that's just their last-ditch attempt at getting it in deep because their entry has been halted.

When Hogg does it it's routinely after the other team has gained the zone, and they have guys deep who can recover the puck. It's grating to hear the TV crew praise those plays which are ineffective. It's like watching a dude celebrate getting a first down when his team is losing by 21 late in the 4th quarter; yay, good job, what's the point

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg beats everyone in hit quantity but he’s a p***y. f***ing midget Ghost hits harder in the rare instance he actually tries to lay someone out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Kindly point out to me where I said goalies don't matter. I'd wait for you to find it, but I'll save you the effort. I never did, and that's largely because I played competitively as one for many years. But I also understand how much easier my job was when the system my coach played focused on better shot management and limiting high risk chances. You can make any goalie look good with the right system. See Smith, Mike and Brygalov, Ilya.

Since you brought up that talent matters more though, how do you explain that despite losing a franchise center, who had more talent than anyone on the roster, the Islanders are still better than last year?

Because Weight was really bad, far worse than Hakstol and Berube.
Hakstol took this team to 98 points and the playoffs with bad goal tenders last year, the last month they were limping through with Mrazek, for god's sake.
Weight had JT and Barzal, and Halak and Greise in goal and could only garner 80 points.

Hakstol's scheme was goalie friendly, Flyers consistently gave up less scoring chances than average:
2018-19: SCA (2), HDCA (4)
2017-18: SCA (10), HDCA (10)
2016-17: SCA (7), HDCA (8)
2015-16: SCA (14), HDCA (12)
2014-15: SCA (9), HDCA (17)
2013-14: SCA (12) , HDCA (8)
2012-13: SCA (16), HDCA (13)
2011-12: SCA (11), HDCA (13)
2010-11: SCA (19), HDCA (20)

Hakstol had his faults, but exposing his goalies wasn't one of them.
And he never had the quality defensemen that Lavi got to play with here.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Because Weight was really bad, far worse than Hakstol and Berube.
Hakstol took this team to 98 points and the playoffs with bad goal tenders last year, the last month they were limping through with Mrazek, for god's sake.
Weight had JT and Barzal, and Halak and Greise in goal and could only garner 80 points.

Hakstol's scheme was goalie friendly, Flyers consistently gave up less scoring chances than average:
2018-19: SCA (2), HDCA (4)
2017-18: SCA (10), HDCA (10)
2016-17: SCA (7), HDCA (8)
2015-16: SCA (14), HDCA (12)
2014-15: SCA (9), HDCA (17)
2013-14: SCA (12) , HDCA (8)
2012-13: SCA (16), HDCA (13)
2011-12: SCA (11), HDCA (13)
2010-11: SCA (19), HDCA (20)

Hakstol had his faults, but exposing his goalies wasn't one of them.
And he never had the quality defensemen that Lavi got to play with here.

And yet, Trotz is able to own the division without Tavares, and Robin freaking Lehner in net, who couldnt hold down a job in Buffalo. Its not as though the Islanders went out and got a premium goalie this offseason. He's 32 games in, so this isnt a 'hot hand' type of situation. Hes consistently performing well, and there's a reason for that. If you honestly believe that the Islanders just got magically better overnight because of Robin Lehner suddenly releasing his inner Marty Brodeur, than I grossly overestimated whatever level of intelligence I thought you did have.

Just to recap though - the islanders lost talent (which you claim trumps coaching, so they should, by your logic, be doing much worse) and are getting better performances out of their goalie consistently due to a large decrease in shots against ( coaching scheme) and a very much improved PK (again, coaching scheme), and you think the impact of a good coach is minimal?

I wasn't even making this about the flyers - but since you brought it up, Do you think that playing a goalie who had just recently recovered from a major knee surgery 3 times in 4 days isn't 'exposing' a goalie? You realize that poor personnel decisions dont have to just be an 'on ice' thing, right? Oh, wait. That's right. Something about "never knowing if you can handle the load if you dont test it" or something to that effect, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad