GDT: [#6-Pre] Wild @ Stars (7:30 PM CST, FS-SW)

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Seems like the biggest worry about keeping Harley around is some fear about ruining him, but when has that ever really happened. What player's career was ruined or stifled by being up in the NHL too soon?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Seems like the biggest worry about keeping Harley around is some fear about ruining him, but when has that ever really happened. What player's career was ruined or stifled by being up in the NHL too soon?

Not to mention he doesn't have to stay around the whole year if it doesn't work. 9 NHL games have never ruined anyone imho

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m 100% against him staying up for a full year because I think that’s to much to soon, but I doubt 9 games could hurt him and if he looks good keep him the full 9.

Reactions: HatchtrickBateman

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I have seen people mention Niskanen but Niskanen wasn't even an 18 year old when he made the Stars in 07/08 but a 2005 pick that made the team 2 years later.

As a matter of fact Niskanen was 20 and close to 21 when he made the Stars.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Most players for whom this argument applies were simply never going to be ready. I'm sure there are a least a few cases throughout the years where a player's career was hindered at least mildly by getting promoted too early, but generally they were never going to be NHLers or reach their expectations anyway.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Juniors/WJC just makes more sense. Plus you dont f*** yourself when its game 50 and the dude is wearing down.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Man this team sucks offensively

You'd think with seemingly 5 legitimate, high-quality top 6 forwards, we'd be able to actually do f***ing something. I know we haven't seen them all together yet, but we have 7 goals in 6 games, even though its preseason. Unless we're just trying wacky shit which doesn't appear to be the case, there should be as much concern can be given for preseason results.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Juniors/WJC just makes more sense. Plus you dont **** yourself when its game 50 and the dude is wearing down.

Sure but that doesn't mean giving the guy a look to start the year would hurt him in any way.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So who gets cut tomorrow

Caamano and Hanley are 100% goners . I'd personally keep Gardner over Dowling but maybe thats just me . Gurianov has not looked good so he might be a cut as well. I would cut Fedun because i don't think he's good enough for a permanent NHL role but we'll have to see.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
My prediction for who gets cut tomorrow:

Gurianov, Caamano, and Hanley. I think maybe Robertson and Gardner get in one more game but idk for sure. Gurianov hasn't impressed but he also is in a position in his career where he could be our extra forward

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Gurianov was an enigma last season but he's now fairly rapidly approaching bust territory.

He hasn't earned a spot in the top 14 forwards but if he does somehow get it, he's going to absolutely have to make the most of it.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

serp

Jan 17, 2016
When do the rosters have to be finalized ? Tuesdays or something ? If thats the case they'll probably go to 8 defenseman and 14-15 forwards tomorow. Which would mean Harley survives another round because there's no way Hanley should stay over him.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Was tonight the first time Harley has played on the right side this preseason?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Gurianov was an enigma last season but he's now fairly rapidly approaching bust territory.

He hasn't earned a spot in the top 14 forwards but if he does somehow get it, he's going to absolutely have to make the most of it.
He's been in bust territory since 15-16. he's not approaching it, he's built residence in it.

When you go that far off board over the easy and obvious choices and then have a season like he did in the KHL, you don't work towards "bust" your have to work out of it. He hasn't

Reactions: Smelling Salt

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So the Stars updated the roster list on the official team Website . It has Gardner and Dowling listed as forwards ( not Gurianov , Robertson or Caamano ) . On defense its 8 players and Hanley is not in the list but Harley is . The three guys ( Hanzal , Johns , Cecconi ) who are hurt are still listed by the way as well .

Wonder if that has any significance ? If so i'd be ok with that . Gardner looked the best out of the younger forwards .

Grasping at straws here maybe but that'd be a 23 opening night roster that actually makes sense.

Dallas Stars 2019 Roster

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So the Stars updated the roster list on the official team Website . It has Gardner and Dowling listed as forwards ( not Gurianov , Robertson or Caamano ) . On defense its 8 players and Hanley is not in the list but Harley is . The three guys ( Hanzal , Johns , Cecconi ) who are hurt are still listed by the way as well .

Wonder if that has any significance ? If so i'd be ok with that . Gardner looked the best out of the younger forwards .

Grasping at straws here maybe but that'd be a 23 opening night roster that actually makes sense.

Yeah that would make a lot of sense (those cuts would) but that's kinda odd if it leaked that way. Honestly might have though

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah that would make a lot of sense (those cuts would) but that's kinda odd if it leaked that way. Honestly might have though

I have no idea why the roster list was updated like that but it is.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Whats with Minny constantly icing their full team? They have no depth players?
Their first games off the season are on the road. They wanted starting lineup to bond and create chemistry and get used to being together asap. Plus they it’s was there 2nd to last preseason game.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015

Dallas Stars 2019 Roster
I was looking at their roster on their website a week or so ago. It was about the same. There was still about 20+ forwards in camp but they only had 15-17 on their listed roster, which included Gardner but nor Gurianov, Robertson etc. I wouldn't look too much into it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I was looking at their roster on their website a week or so ago. It was about the same. There was still about 20+ forwards in camp but they only had 15-17 on their listed roster, which included Gardner but nor Gurianov, Robertson etc. I wouldn't look too much into it.

It did have more players on it ( all send down by now ) and Harley wasn't on it at all. This list has definitely been updated. Now does that mean anthing for the final roster ? No idea. Probably not but one can dream right ?

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The roster page doesn't make sense this time of year, it has something to do with the NHL profile database. So we can't get any insights from that page.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad