GDT: 6 PM - Phase 2 of the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery - Alexis Lafreniere Sweepstakes - NBCSN, NHLN, SN, TVAS

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Toronto is viable even if they are absolute horseshit, his point about them is true, and Edmonton won 4 lotteries when they were bottom feeders, how were they gifted anything? If they fixed it wouldn't they gain the most by letting a bad O6 team like Detroit win?

You don't find it statistically odd that a team can win the lottery 4 times in 6 years? Or that a team like the Penguins can win it back to back when they were going through financial difficulties and transferring ownership? To me, those are anomalies that make me question how legitimate the process is.

And yes, Toronto will still draw even if they're bad, but is it really in the league's best interest to have them be a bottom feeder year after year? That would be like MLB being happy the Yankees sucked. It may still draw, but the league does better when they're in the hunt, no?

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
My thinking is that Winnipeg won the pick initially so if they were eliminated, they should receive the pick. They were ripped off IMO. If I had a choice, I would have preferred Minnesota won it.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
i think Lafreniere will be a good NHLer, 70pt kinda guy, but i'm not sure he's got franchise/superstar in him. that said i'm glad TOR/MTL/PITT didn't land him

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Amen, I hate to rag on the NHL After they pulled off a RTP as amazing as they did, I tip my hat 10 times , truly amazing. Now , WTF was that?
I get that you want to discourage tanking and I'm on board with that but there is no way the 19th ranked team out of 31 should have the 1st pick.
The idea of a draft is to give the best players to the teams that need it most.....................................how did we accomplish that? We didn't. So FAIL, FAIL, FAIL.................................. after pulling off the best RTP among all major sports you had to go and f*** it up with the most (I can't say the words to best describe it) I'm going to go with the most ****** challenged way to do it. Detroit had a .275 winning % almost 25% of those wins came at the hands of the Habs but the 1st pick goes to a team who was 1 point behind the 11th rank OA team, WTF? I'LL ASK AGAIN , WTF?
I completely disagree. I don't like when the top pick is reserved only for the worst team. I like the lottery, and I would go further and have teams prohibited from receiving a top pick if they received one the year before. Say you win the top pick, you can't have a top three pick for three years. If you received the 2nd pick, you can't get a top pick for two years, and a top three, for one year. This would allow top talent to be spread out more, but also, I argue in today's salary climate with top pick RFA's getting monstrous contracts, it helps those teams stuck at the bottom get less hyped prospects by picking 4th or 8th. Filling in rosters with more affordable talent is how teams rise to the top, not top down high-skilled, high-salaried players. Edmonton, Buffalo and Toronto are stuck. Pittsburgh from the early 2000's is not happening nowadays. Now, I'm not saying a team of middle-talent players will get it done, Minnesota for example, can't go anywhere just barely making or missing the playoffs each year. But in the new system, they can be rewarded by finishing 17th much more likely as enough non-playoff teams are locked out of the top three spots. Plus, it helps the top players to not have their fate set in stone forced to go to the worst teams to start their careers, and possibly languish for eternity. I'm for the lottery, and wish it was more open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad