GDT: 6 PM - Phase 2 of the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery - Alexis Lafreniere Sweepstakes - NBCSN, NHLN, SN, TVAS

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
There were other more rage-inducing choices that could have been picked. SO I will decide to be okay with this.

Odd how a good Rangers team means more viewership and thus more revenue for the league.
Not a tinfoil hat wearer trying to prop up a conspiracy theory, but thats quite the advantageous situation for the owners.

Reactions: BMC

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
There were other more rage-inducing choices that could have been picked. SO I will decide to be okay with this.

Odd how a good Rangers team means more viewership and thus more revenue for the league.
Not a tinfoil hat wearer trying to prop up a conspiracy theory, but thats quite the advantageous situation for the owners.

I'm happy Pitt didn't get the pick but I'd rather an authentic process in selecting who gets the pick instead of shenanigans..this puts every draft in question going forward. Give me the system the NFL uses and leave it out of the hands of the suits

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'm happy Pitt didn't get the pick but I'd rather an authentic process in selecting who gets the pick instead of shenanigans..this puts every draft in question going forward. Give me the system the NFL uses and leave it out of the hands of the suits

Well, if there is anything that will force the owners to revisit the draft selection order selection process it is what just happened.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Finally a valid point on why it was okay that they included Montreal in this year's playoff tournament. Because had they not, I would have bet vital parts of my anatomy they would have won the rights to draft Alexis Lafrenière.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't live up to hype he's getting and another prospect ends up being the steal of the draft. Chiarelli drafted Pastrnak in the late 1st round

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Forget tanking or getting help from a bad season going forward. It won't work as the NHL FO decides who get the elite players.

If you really believe that, then please explain to us why Edmonton ended up with Connor McDavid.

Or why Auston Matthews went to Toronto instead of, say, Uncle Gary’s pet project in Arizona.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If you really believe that, then please explain to us why Edmonton ended up with Connor McDavid.

Or why Auston Matthews went to Toronto instead of, say, Uncle Gary’s pet project in Arizona.
0548ef5d178bcb2ec2a2ab21a5663079f6952e-v5-wm.jpg

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

This new system that allows big market teams like the rangers to vault right up into the 2 and 1 picks after being nowhere near the bottom of the league is pretty lame.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't live up to hype he's getting and another prospect ends up being the steal of the draft. Chiarelli drafted Pastrnak in the late 1st round

Any draft pick is a crap shoot. You really never know how a player is going to develop or what they'll look like against a higher level of competition. But as he's the consensus number one right now and from Quebec, I'm happy that the league didn't conspire to make sure Montreal got him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Because Toronto being viable is more important to the league than AZ? And Edmonton ended up with winning the lottery 4 out of 6 years at one point, so they already got their freebies from the league?

Reactions: BMC and KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Because Toronto being viable is more important to the league than AZ? And Edmonton ended up with winning the lottery 4 out of 6 years at one point, so they already got their freebies from the league?

I always respect franchises more that use skilled scouting than getting gifts from league to improve their franchise. Boston drafted Bergeron Marchand Krejci Pastrnak, Lucic, Krug was undrafted I think. Detroit drafted Datsyuk and Zetterberg late. Meanwhile Pitt, Chicago and now NY all get gifts

Reactions: LSCII

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Will be interesting to see where Byfield is when he reaches the same age as Lafreniere is now. There is almost a 1-year age gap between them. Lafreniere just completed his 3rd junior season (Age 18 season), whereas Byfield completed his 2nd (Age 17 season). If you compare their Age 17 seasons, Byfield's numbers are pretty much on par with Lafreniere, who will be a 19 year old by the time the NHL's next season starts (if it goes ahead as planned).

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

The Leafs could ice a bunch a beer leaguers and the the home games would still sell out.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Finally a valid point on why it was okay that they included Montreal in this year's playoff tournament. Because had they not, I would have bet vital parts of my anatomy they would have won the rights to draft Alexis Lafrenière.

You know it brother. :5:

Reactions: LSCII

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Toronto is viable even if they are absolute horseshit, his point about them is true, and Edmonton won 4 lotteries when they were bottom feeders, how were they gifted anything? If they fixed it wouldn't they gain the most by letting a bad O6 team like Detroit win?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I just thought the guy running the ping pong ball machine fumbling the winning ball looking like he was a deer in head lights was the giveaway. I feel bad for that guy today especially doing all that in front of his boss Bettman

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
It is... acceptable.

Glad it's not Pittsburgh or Toronto.

I hate the Rangers the least out of them all, especially post-Avery Rangers.

Reactions: BMC

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
This was a debacle by the NHL and absolutely stupidity for the sake of forcing the Draft Lottery as early as possible to quench the thirst of casual fans needing sports material to watch.

Thankfully Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Edmonton did not get the top pick but outside of Minnesota and Florida I see no argument for any play in team needing the first pick. Teams like LA, NJ, Anaheim, and Ottawa desperately need that talent for their rebuilds.

At least the Rangers are a rebuilding team but it can be argued they already have the best prospect pool and added Panarin for "free" because they are NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad