GDT: #6: Panthers 5 at FLYERS 6 (2-1 SO), Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Lehtera has been good so far and is only playing 12 minutes a night.

What measure of good are people using?

Good for Lehtera?
Good for the Flyers?
Good for a non-offense producing, $5M per year forward?

The only measure of "good" that is valid is for his standards and quite frankly it's not "good" because our expectations of him should be related his salary and the cap space he takes up vs other players in the NHL who are paid similarly

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
idk which board is more toxic right now, yours or ours :laugh:

Reimer is probably starting so you should get a few 5 v 5 goals.

I don't know about you guys, but we have learned to laugh through the poison :naughty:

giphy.gif

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

Good for Lehtera?
Good for the Flyers?

The only measure of "good" that is valid is for his standards and quite frankly it's not "good" because our expectations of him should be related his salary and the cap space he takes up vs other players in the NHL who are paid similarly

I base my expectations on what he was before, and what the fourth line centers have been for us. He's skating much better than he was last season, and he and Raffl have had good chemistry and have created chances.

He's played the fewest Ev minutes per game among all players and has the second highest corsi among all forwards. As far as fourth lines go, the team has the best in a long time. I can understand why you would measure his ability according to his salary cap and offensive production (in just 5 games), but the Flyers weren't the team that signed that contract, and his cap hit hasn't prohibited them from doing anything, it doesn't matter.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
If deadhead's pet Knight is in for Weise, I'm good with that. Plus, if Knight is really 28 years old, he is almost old enough to make the NHL squad under this regime, so it is good timing.

NAK
Leier
Myers

^^ show me evidence they would be worse than say Weise, Lehtera (or Weal) and MacDonald.

Go through the rest of the Phantoms roster and anyone who is 20 - 25, bring them up and insert them in place of dead weight. WHAT HARM COULD BE DONE BY THIS?

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I base my expectations on what he was before, and what the fourth line centers have been for us. He's skating much better than he was last season, and he and Raffl have had good chemistry and have created chances.

He's played the fewest Ev minutes per game among all players and has the second highest corsi among all forwards. As far as fourth lines go, the team has the best in a long time. I can understand why you would measure his ability according to his salary cap and offensive production (in just 5 games), but the Flyers weren't the team that signed that contract, and his cap hit hasn't prohibited them from doing anything, it doesn't matter.

Unless our fourth line is productive, I won't join in on the cheers for exceeding low expectations party. The idea of having a fourth line that can do no more than stop scoring, weakens us as a franchise.

Yes his contract matters - we pay it. When you have a $5M forward, there should be implied expectation of offense. If there isn't, you're using kid gloves. Facts > Feelings

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK
Leier
Myers

^^ show me evidence they would be worse than say Weise, Lehtera (or Weal) and MacDonald.

Go through the rest of the Phantoms roster and anyone who is 20 - 25, bring them up and insert them in place of dead weight. WHAT HARM COULD BE DONE BY THIS?

Myers being on the ice for 6 goals in an AHL game?
Leier being by far the worse PK guy on the team last year and scoring 5 points in 39 games?
NAK looking like meh in preseason, Weal and Weise have both looked better so far.

When a player is ready, it's obvious, see Vorobyev, heck Rubtsov and Twarynski looked more NHL ready in preseason than NAK.
Friedman looks more NHL ready than Myers.

There is wishful thinking, then there is what's in front of your nose.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Unless our fourth line is productive, I won't join in on the cheers for exceeding low expectations party. The idea of having a fourth line that can do no more than stop scoring, weakens us as a franchise.

Yes his contract matters - we pay it. When you have a $5M forward, there should be implied expectation of offense. If there isn't, you're using kid gloves. Facts > Feelings
The line hasn't had the best puck luck with only 1 goal in 5 games, but they've clearly looked to be getting the better of their exchanges in each game. Raffl won't be held goal-less for the whole season.

I don't pay his contract, and the payment is a sunk cost. Whatever he's been paid doesn't matter at this point, and the expectation that he should score based on his salary, and not his role, is the wrong way to look at it. For example, I expect Konecny to score more than Lehtera. TK has had more scoring chances, even hit the pipes a few times, the goals will come. You can't look at the 0 on the score sheet for just 4 games and write off the lack of production.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
The line hasn't had the best puck luck with only 1 goal in 5 games, but they've clearly looked to be getting the better of their exchanges in each game. Raffl won't be held goal-less for the whole season.

I don't pay his contract, and the payment is a sunk cost. Whatever he's been paid doesn't matter at this point, and the expectation that he should score based on his salary, and not his role, is the wrong way to look at it. For example, I expect Konecny to score more than Lehtera. TK has had more scoring chances, even hit the pipes a few times, the goals will come. You can't look at the 0 on the score sheet for just 4 games and write off the lack of production.

I am actually talking about his season last year - 8 total points and a -8 as I believe a whole season is better to judge him by then a handful of games. He played his way out of a roster spot last season yet people on here are feeling optimistic about him bc he hasn't been a total waste for a handful of games?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Good for Lehtera?
Good for the Flyers?

I don't care what he's paid, but he is here to be a defensively responsible bottom six forward and a decent PKer, neither of which he was last year.

He has been fine in this year's limited sample size.

His salary was the price of an extra first round pick and does not impact any moves the Flyers make this year... and it comes off the books in July. What Lehtera makes is entirely irrelevant to evaluating what he brings to this team; his on ice performance is all that matters.

Reactions: Sudden Debt and SnS

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I don't care what he's paid, but he is here to be a defensively responsible bottom six forward and a decent PKer, neither of which he was last year.

He has been fine in this year's limited sample size.

His salary was the price of an extra first round pick and does not impact any moves the Flyers make this year... and it comes off the books in July. What Lehtera makes is entirely irrelevant to evaluating what he brings to this team; his on ice performance is all that matters.

Ah yes in 4 games he isn't the reason we lost so let's pretend his entire season last year where he was misused and also earned himself more trips to the press box than he actually took is less important. Makes sense. You're in a relationship with someone who cheats on you constantly for a year so you break up but you end up getting back together with them and for one week they haven't slept around...what do you think?

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Ah yes in 4 games he isn't the reason we lost so let's pretend his entire season last year where he was misused and also earned himself more trips to the press box than he actually took is less important. Makes sense. You're in a relationship with someone who cheats on you constantly for a year so you break up but you end up getting back together with them and for one week they haven't slept around...what do you think?

If he's been fine in the 5 games he's played this season and isn't taking up a spot of a player better than him, what's the issue? If he was playing like he was last year that'd be one thing, but he hasn't over stayed his welcome. I'm all for scratching him when he plays like he did last season.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Good for Lehtera?
Good for the Flyers?

I choose to look past his cap as it really isn't effecting us right now, and it's short term. My yardstick is he is going to play on the 4th line no matter what. As long as he is being an effective forth liner while he is here then I'm happy. He isn't my ideal 4th liner as I want to see somebody who is faster and more effective on the forecheck but if he keeps playing like he has this year I'll be okay with him.

We didn't give him the contract, and I doubt we would be spending that cap hit elsewhere if he wasn't here so it's not hard to look past

Reactions: Cootsfanclub

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
:laugh:
Okay.

Lehtera was a decent player in St. Louis for three years before he came to Philly. Not a $5M player, but NHL quality. He had a horrible year last year; no one will debate that. If he has a horrible year this year, he should be scratched. Few would argue that, too.

Why complain about the guy now when he is actually playing to expectations? :laugh:

What I think is that your analogy is poor. :p:

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Okay.

Lehtera was a decent player in St. Louis for three years before he came to Philly. Not a $5M player, but NHL quality. He had a horrible year last year; no one will debate that. If he has a horrible year this year, he should be scratched. Few would argue that, too.

Why complain about the guy now when he is actually playing to expectations? :laugh:

I think there is a $600,000 player out there who could easily do the same thing he's doing while he started the season in the AHL. I don't know how that is outlandish.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Okay.

Tarasenko's most common linemate in 15-16 was Torg, imagine Hak gave Voracek. That'd be actually worthy of condemnation.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->