6 in 5 Playoff Thread

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
This has been somewhat popular in years past. Figured with the hand-wringing we keep some perspective:

Six in Five will give us 98 points. I think we all think the Jets are not exactly playing their best but lets look at the results:

First 5 games: Checkmark!

Right on track!

If we're at (or above) the 6 in 5 line, while playing like garbage, that's a pretty big win IMO. Last season took us awhile to get rolling, and I expect the same this season as well.

Thanks for starting up this thread, I enjoy it every season.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We've gotten fancy with graphics in the past, but I kinda like the simple version.
I am hurt Tom. Hurt I say!

;)

Apparently Mike Babcock preaches the "6 in 5" idea to the Leafs. So who is he that's lurking around here? Sipowicz? :D
It was originally a Mike Keenan thing. I'll dig up a post from one of the past 6 in 5 threads at some point.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The positively thread is my emotional base camp for HFBoards. A place to return to when I need to decompress and gather myself.

6 in 5 is where I go for my reality check. We have 16.4 milestones on our critical path time line this season.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Here's a post from a previous thread that discusses the rationale behind the 6 in 5 concept:

----

6pts in 5 will result in a 98 points, or an almost guaranteed playoff spot, as no team has ever (as far as I know) NOT made the playoffs in the modern era if they've ended the season with this point total. In essence, this thread allows us to concentrate on JUST the Jets, and ignore what's going on around the league. Get 1.2pts per game, and it doesn't matter what teams around us are doing.

The Florida board has tracked this for the last 4 years, and I've always found it interesting so I thought I'd do the same for the Jets. The Panther's version of this, for those that are interested: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1506883&highlight=6pts. Here's last years thread for the Jets: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1515915&highlight=keenan

This concept was originated by Mike Keenan when he was the Rangers head coach for the '94 season. The main idea behind this - not every game is a must win. Consistency is key, and a small slide / losing streak is not necessarily the end of the world. A note about last year: at the beginning of the season, the pace the Western teams were on was outrageous - in the end, LESS than 96pts would have guaranteed the Jets a playoff spot.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I had a nifty little spreadsheet I used last year. If I find it I'll put it here and someone else can track it.

I mean, not that it's difficult at all.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The positively thread is my emotional base camp for HFBoards. A place to return to when I need to decompress and gather myself.

6 in 5 is where I go for my reality check. We have 16.4 milestones on our critical path time line this season.
6 in 5 has long been one of my favorite threads. I love the simplicity of the concept and how it levels out the highs and lows.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Regular season, schmegular season.

Announce the Stanley Cup parade route already!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
6 in 5 has long been one of my favorite threads. I love the simplicity of the concept and how it levels out the highs and lows.

It really is the key isn’t it? I didn’t really like our first 5 games but our goaltending carried us to 6 in 5. There are going to be ups and downs,highs and lows, and different ways to achieve 6 in 5 so this allows me to relax and focus on the priority amidst losses 40% of the time.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jets 3rd in the division still. If we see both St. Louis and Chicago lose tonight it will bode well for some early separation.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup. Need to keep the big picture in mind. Secure a playoff spot, and with our talent it is then playing your best at the right time.

Yea our team is not that good right now yet we are still on a playoff pace. My belief is at some point here we will wake up and start playing better.

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We are still on pace for over 100 points but with only 10 games played the percentages change pretty dramatically with each point or loss of point.
Some of our better players have to start being our better players and we should be fine.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yea our team is not that good right now yet we are still on a playoff pace. My belief is at some point here we will wake up and start playing better.

I don't think we can talk "pace" at this point. Our schedule so far is not a representative sampling. 7 out of those 10 games have been against teams that in all likelihood will not be in the playoffs. I do not like at all what I've seen so far against the good teams. For all the skill we have, we just might not be a good team. Maybe Vegas wasn't the only team to overachieve last year. Now, I'm not going to push That Button just yet, but I'm certainly keeping my hand close. :)

panic-button.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad