RP Roy Face (R)
RP John Hiller (L)
RP Terry Forster (L)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The reasoning behind my roster.

Obviously, getting the greatest ledoff hitter, base stealer and run scorer of all time is a key to how I wanted to craft my offense.

Batting second is the all time hits leader. Logic would dictate that the majority of time that Henderson gets on base, he’d end up on third at least, before the #3 hitter, a contact machine. George Brett comes to the plate.

Hank Aaron, the prototype for cleanup hitters, IMO follows Brett.

With that top 4, it’s almost a certainty that if Rickey gets on base to lead off the game....it’s 1-0.

Eddie Murray, the greatest switch hitter in history bats 5th....hopefully preventing teams from pitching around Aaron too often.

In the 6th hole is Cal Ripken followed by Ivan Rodriguez and Bernie Williams...three consistent offensive players, who are capable of grinding at bats and pushing the pitch count up.

The pitching staff is generally a power staff with Gibson, setting the tone followed by Nolan Ryan and Schilling.

Sutton and Guidry round out the staff, offering a bit different look than the top 3.

In the bullpen, I’m comfortable with Smith and K-Rod closing out games, and I’d likely use Percival and Street as set-up guys.

Aguilera would be the guy I use for multiple innings, if needed.

Miller would be my situational lefty....in this series, I’d use him to face Bonds late in games, in high leverage situations.

As for the bench, Ortiz would be used to hit for the pitcher in key spots, taking advantage of his ability to come through in the clutch.

Whitaker would be a defensive replacement for Rose, if the situation was right. (Up 2-3 runs late).

Sheffield would back up the corners and PH if needed.

Dawson would back up the corner OF and if Williams was unavailable, Henderson would go to CF.

Personally, while obviously every lineup in this draft is going to be excellent, having the all-time leader in runs, the all time leader in hits and the all time leader in RBI, coupled with the quality players in the rest of the lineup, makes this a very formidable lineup.

My pitching staff prevents balls from being out into play as well as any in this group, IMO and the bullpen is strong.

The bench is powerful and while I may not have the defensive flexibility I may have wanted, I’m very happy with how it turned out overall.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
I've got the hitting advantage here, hands down. Aaron falls short of Bonds, and Pujols, Mantle and Frank are all top 20 -30 hitters in the history of this sport.

Altimore just won't be able to keep up offensively.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
I've got the hitting get advantage here, hands down. Aaron falls short of Bonds, and Pujols, Mantle and Frank are all top 20 -30 hitters in the history of this sport. Altimore just won't be able to keep up offensively.
Geez. Your OF has 3 top 30 hitters plus a 4th, Pujols at 1st.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Catcher

Advantage: Altimore

It’s difficult to speculate what could have been if tragedy hadn’t ended Munson’s career and life prematurely. Some say he could have won another league MVP, others say that his best days were behind him. Altimore has a sure thing in Pudge; no speculation is necessary. Excellent offensively, great defensively, and his rifle-like arm behind the plate can be placed alongside all-time greats: Bench, Campanella, and Berra.

First Base

Advantage: Hanshin

Albert Pujols was one of baseball’s most dominant players in the 2000s and once Bonds was out of the way, he was finally allowed to win a few league MVPs. Unfortunately, the 2010s happened and his value took a nosedive as he jumped ship to the American League. Pujols became a player with negative defensive value, a middle of the road batting average, and a double play machine although he can be counted on 20-30 home runs each season. You take the good with the bad, he’s still a better ballplayer than Murray who, for a guy with 500 home runs, his ability as a power hitter seems a bit underwhelming even though his switch hitting ability is a nice luxury to have.

Second Base

This was a tough one. Cano is unique in that he brings the capability to hit the long ball that is uncommon in a second basemen. For all of his faults, Rose was a one of a kind ballplayer, always giving his greatest effort, never taking a moment off, and played at the same high intensity, it didn’t matter whether it was the World Series or an exhibition game. He’s a top contact hitter of all time and can be counted on to frustrate any opponent.

Third Base

Advantage: None (Toss Up)

I’d say that these two are near identical players with Brett having a slight advantage, but I make this a toss up because of the versatility that Chipper Jones adds as a switch hitter.

Short Stop

Trammell is often overlooked and I’m glad to see he finally got the call to Cooperstown. Ripken still has the clear advantage.

Left Field

Henderson is the best base stealer of all time, and that’s nice. Dingers do more damage than stolen bases. It’s Bonds.

Center Field

If I have to explain why Mickey Mantle is a better ballplayer than Bernie Williams then you’re following the wrong sport.

Right Field

Frank Robinson is a great outfielder to have and just adds to an embarrassment of riches in the Hanshin outfield. Nevertheless, the first man to break the Babe’s home run record has the advantage here.

Bench

Advantage: Toss Up

Both benches are solid and honestly I don’t have a preference one way or the other.

Starting Pitching

The lack of left handed pitching is concerning and might hurt them in later rounds but they both have this problem so that doesn’t factor in deciding the advantage. The top three in the rotation are both deadly but Hanshin’s bottom two of Scherzer-Jenkins is unquestionably stronger than Altimore’s bottom two of Sutton-Guidry.

Bullpen

Hanshin has a great combination of lefty and righty in their bullpen. Altimore continues their lack of a significant left handed pitching presence in their rotation and bullpen which could haunt a team that is tasked with neutralizing Barry Bonds.

Reactions: Vegeta

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
UPDATE: In a slightly tougher than expected series, Hanishin prevails in 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->