GDT: 6/26/20 - NHL Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Idk what you're guys opinions are but for me...i think it will depend on what other picks we get. If we get another pick at #10 I think Sanderson could be the pick at #7 and then maybe get Jarvis or Quinn at 10, and if they're not available then it just means someone else slipped which isn't bad :) If, somehow, Rossi is available at 7 though...that's my pick. Holtz may be available but in the 10 range I'm liking guys like quinn and jarvis the best and idk if we wanna get 2 rw snipers, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for this goal scoring allergic team.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Idk what you're guys opinions are but for me...i think it will depend on what other picks we get. If we get another pick at #10 I think Sanderson could be the pick at #7 and then maybe get Jarvis or Quinn at 10, and if they're not available then it just means someone else slipped which isn't bad :) If, somehow, Rossi is available at 7 though...that's my pick. Holtz may be available but in the 10 range I'm liking guys like quinn and jarvis the best and idk if we wanna get 2 rw snipers, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for this goal scoring allergic team.
The Devils are in BIG trouble if that is their mindset. Take the BPA or player with highest upside (as Fitz would say). Do not worry about position.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
@7 Cole Perfetti please, best natural goal scorer outside of Laffy in the top 10 IMO

Also the worst skater out of the top 10. His mental processing is sky high though, and he sees things quicker than most. I don't know if that is enough to make up for the skating or not.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We're almost burying the lead...we were actually a couple of wins away from the dopey play-in tournament, and chaos would have ensued since then we would actually be debating the merit of rooting against the Devils in the play-in tournament against the Penguins of all teams.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
We're almost burying the lead...we were actually a couple of wins away from the dopey play-in tournament, and chaos would have ensued since then we would actually be debating the merit of rooting against the Devils in the play-in tournament against the Penguins of all teams.
we beat pittsburgh the last game of the season and we would of been in

Reactions: glenwo2 and nugg

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The Devils are in BIG trouble if that is their mindset. Take the BPA or player with highest upside (as Fitz would say). Do not worry about position.

Yea, cuz it's easy to just say this or that guy is has highest upside...these guys in the 2nd tier are all extremely close to each other.

I feel like i'd beaten a dead horse with this, but BPA only matters when it's players in completely different tiers. When they're very close, you should consider position a bit too, especially considering d-men are ridiculously hard to trade for. The question is whether the scouts feel Sanderson is in that same tier or not. I do.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
we beat pittsburgh the last game of the season and we would of been in

Nah we finished three points back of the Habs, we would have needed two wins to pass them with fewer regulation wins. But we also played two less games than them so...

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Oh and in case someone missed it :

Very interesting.

It would have to be for a D-man, I suppose.

With the cap staying put for the next 3 years, Tampa is a prime trade partner. We have possibly the 10th overall pick as well as some promising youngsters who are entering their ELC contracts, meaning they’d be cheap and wouldn’t have to be exposed to the expansion draft. Those are two valid reasons as to why Brisebois would chase such a deal.

I’ve said numerous times that I would give Ty Smith and Arizona’s pick for Sergachev and their 2nd round pick. We gain a young dman with 1st pairing potential who’s already a very solid 2nd pairing dman. The Bolts get someone they can slide in nicely on their 3rd pair and groom properly while adding a very solid prospect with, give or take, a top #10 pick.

Reactions: Forge

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
With the cap staying put for the next 3 years, Tampa is a prime trade partner. We have possibly the 10th overall pick as well as some promising youngsters who are entering their ELC contracts, meaning they’d be cheap and wouldn’t have to be exposed to the expansion draft. Those are two valid reasons as to why Brisebois would chase such a deal.

I’ve said numerous times that I would give Ty Smith and Arizona’s pick for Sergachev and their 2nd round pick. We gain a young dman with 1st pairing potential who’s already a very solid 2nd pairing dman. The Bolts get someone they can slide in nicely on their 3rd pair and groom properly while adding a very solid prospect with, give or take, a top #10 pick.
But does sergachevs production carry over to us? What if he's a product of the TB system and then ty blows up over there? I worry that Ty's potential could be extremely high, so packaging him with a 1st for serg and a late 2nd (probably?)? Is that overpayment?

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Oh and in case someone missed it :

Very interesting.

It would have to be for a D-man, I suppose.

Ive been saying for sometime this is a major thing we should consider

We have so so much talent coming in over the next 3-4 years and weve drafted more than almost every team in the league. We need immediate help so we dont bottom out again and begin to create a losing culture.

Move the 10th/18th+ for a young yop-4 dman

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
But does sergachevs production carry over to us? What if he's a product of the TB system and then ty blows up over there? I worry that Ty's potential could be extremely high, so packaging him with a 1st for serg and a late 2nd (probably?)? Is that overpayment?

His "production" hasn't even really taken off yet in my opinion. Remember, he's not even their PP1 guy. But he has certainly evolved into a better two way defender than i would have thought. The last two years, his defensive impact has actually been greater than his offensive impact at 5 on 5 per the athletic. I'm sure that the team helps in some regard, I think it'd be hard to deny that. I'm in favor of going after him hard if he's put on the market, though I'm unsure of what I'd be comfortable offering. I don't have an issue of letting Smith go in order to get him, I'm just not sure what I'd be willing to put with Smith...I feel like Arizona's pick is too much, but maybe I'm just drawing lines in the sand arbitrarily. I feel like something like Smith + Vancouver 1 for Sergachev + TB2 is a reasonable deal given their constraints. But I dunno.

If the goal is for Smith to play on the left, then I'm also fine with finding a smaller package for Cernak. He's a righty, but he gets a lot of the dirty work in TB even though he's young and he's a defensive defenseman type. He honestly may be a really good first year partner for Smith

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This result is a bit embarrassing in my view. We had the lotto and don’t know who is going to pick first. A bit amateurish on some level.
Doesn't change anything for your mock draft.
#1 Mistery Team: Lafreniere
#2 LA Kings

Easier to project than a mistery team at #2 or #3.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Not possible since the two teams play each other. Unless the Carolina pick is lottery protected (I don't think it is) the Rangers have a 12.5% at the pick no matter what.

If the play-in never happens they'd have a 25% shot at it.
This is wrong. NYR don't get the CAR pick. They get the later of the CAR or TOR pick. If NY and TOR win the play-in, they aren't in the 2nd lottery.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
This is wrong. NYR don't get the CAR pick. They get the later of the CAR or TOR pick. If NY and TOR win the play-in, they aren't in the 2nd lottery.
Even simpler for you, if the rangers win the play-in series they are not in the lotto. The Toronto pick is top ten protected but they can’t pick top ten unless it’s #1.

Reactions: TBF1972

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

That’s the price you have to pay to land a 22 year old (his birthday was 2 days ago), top pairing dman.

We know exactly what Sergachev is capable of doing and Smith is still a mystery. If he turns out to be a 2nd pairing dman in TB, so be it, but he’s not going to replace Hedman or McDonagh anytime soon. On the other hand, he might turn out to be a very effective, smallish, 3rd pairing dman... we don’t know.

Ideally, we’d give back the pick we got for Coleman in a package with Ty Smith but if push came to shove and the Arizona pick was the breaking point... I’d still do it.

Sergachev is already a superstar in the making and would drastically change the core of our team.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
They draft lottery seems so rigged. I thought, at the very least LA would get the #1, but this conjures the most viewership for both the play-in round and the stupid second draft lottery. Devils for life, but can you imagine how the Wings fans feel?! A few weeks back, the NHL was talking about a format where the Wings could only pick 1-2, but now they slipped to the dreaded #4. LA and Wings are the wild cards.

Stupid: Laf
Kings: Stützle, Byfield
Sens: Byfield
Wings: ? (Perfetti?, Raymond)

If Kings take Byfield, I could see the Sens passing on Stütlze for Perffeti, which would allow the Wings to draft Stütlze. Do the Sens go after Drysdale at 5 if available? That would leave the Devils with a great mix of talented forwards, the 1b defenseman or the goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad