Post-Game Talk: 6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft Day II - 1PM ET - NHL Network. SN, TVAS

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
In one post you admit that you don’t know anything about the picks and then in another post you say that you don’t think they will hit. I don’t know anything about the picks but I am far from saying they won’t hit. That’s just stupid.

I have the right to say I don’t know anything about the picks but I don’t think they’ll hit. It’s called honestly mixed with intuition. I’m loaded with honestly + intuition

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
My point is that it’s unlikely any of Boston’s picks hit (after Beecher) and if they do we are looking at 3rd and 4th liners. It’s like an 80% bust rate for Boston’s picks. I’d take 90% if it actually resulted in top 6 upside

If you get a top-6/top-4 player out of a draft that features a guy picked at the end of the third and three picked at the end of the fifth or later, that's a pretty big win. Heck, if you even get an NHL bottom-6 or bottom-pairing regular after the third round, you're doing pretty well. Look at the history of any team's draft picks - very few guys drafted in rounds 4-7 even become an NHL regular for one season, most become AHL guys at best. A 20% success rate for picks in the range the Bruins were picking (after Beecher) would be a good draft for any team.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
If you get a top-6/top-4 player out of a draft that features a guy picked at the end of the third and three picked at the end of the fifth or later, that's a pretty big win. Heck, if you even get an NHL bottom-6 or bottom-pairing regular after the third round, you're doing pretty well. Look at the history of any team's draft picks - very few guys drafted in rounds 4-7 even become an NHL regular for one season, most become AHL guys at best. A 20% success rate for picks in the range the Bruins were picking (after Beecher) would be a good draft for any team.

I’d rather a chance for a top 6 forward versus a slightly higher chance at a 4th liner

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Looks like the B's got their guy, they seem to value leadership more than other teams when balanced against skill. I don't mind that approach at all. A little shocked we are sitting with 8 nhl regular d-men for next season still with Zboril, Vaak, and Lauzon in the pipeline. That must be because of the Seattle expansion.

Reactions: Fenian24

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I went through the spreadsheet someone made of 60 public lists to see where the Bruins picks were ranked.
The Average is calculated if the name appeared on 10 lists so some have '???' instead.
Schmaltz didn't appear on anyone's list, not even TheDraftAnalyst's 'April 500'.

Source: DRAFT DAY: Expected Pick Range

NameDraftedAverageLowHighList Count
Beecher3043307150
Olson92???992086
Bychkov1541438617613
Mantykivi185???1542066
Schmaltz192?????????0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: LouisSleigher

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Looks like the B's got their guy, they seem to value leadership more than other teams when balanced against skill. I don't mind that approach at all. A little shocked we are sitting with 8 nhl regular d-men for next season still with Zboril, Vaak, and Lauzon in the pipeline. That must be because of the Seattle expansion.

There is nothing that says players can’t be moved after the draft. The B’s could trade one of their D prospects on the cusp for a similar F prospect from another team.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Here's another table by position, height, and weight.

I put this together after noticing how slight all but Beecher are. This reminds me of the 2014 draft where everyone was about 160 lbs on draft day. Since then, Pasta, Donato, Heinen, Bjork, and Johansson all got to at least 185 lbs and all but Johansson are NHLers. However, it took 3-4 years of patience in the development process for all but Pastrnak who got there his 1st year. It would seem they have gone for the same long-term development profile type of players here. If they manage to recreate the 2014 success (albeit with someone less than Pasta, obviously), then this could be a great draft crop come 2022-2023.

NamePositionHeightWeight
Beecher(C)6'3"210
Olson(LW)5'11"170
Bychkov(LD)5'11"161
Mantykivi(LW)5'11"160
Schmaltz(LW)6'1"165
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: dadeden

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I’d rather a chance for a top 6 forward versus a slightly higher chance at a 4th liner

If you’re trying to find “chance at a top 6 forward” in the fifth round ... the guys picked in the fifth round in ANY organization are more likely to be “chance at a top 6 forward” in the AHL than even make an NHL roster. We won’t know if any of these guys are hits for 3-4 years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pronman graded the bruins tied for last in the league. Not sure if he’s respected but he had the bruins tied for last in terms of a draft grade
We been discussing what an ass hat Pronman is for years. It’s probably schtick at this point atleast I have friends who think so

I don’t respect the guy I know some of my friends don’t.

Reactions: 00BW

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If that Ruins drafted Kaliyev they get an A for the steal of the draft.

The 4 recent drafts top round picks

McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Andersson, Lauko, Beecher

Specifically identifying players that fit the plan of 4 way puck moving defenseman and big fast 200-foot forwards

Sweeney stayed true to the blueprint.

Does anyone think for one second Pronman has a clue what the Bruins organization objective is?

Cory Pronman is no different than a lot of these guys

‘Oh, Lavoie. Kaliyev, Brink were available and they took Beecher’

ANGT!!!! F-A-I-L

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Well, I’m source looking forward to seeing them in ice. I assume “first year player “ camp is at Warrior? I’ll have to schedule some meetings around it to go. Would love to watch Beecher fly around the ice.

I like the points Dan/ @DKH is making above about philosophical approach but I also understand the hurt feelings with the skipping of Kaliyev (or similar, I kind of had a thing for Brink based on only what I had read - obv not a comprehensive analysis).

I do think there’s room for players who don’t “fit the mold” so to speak.

But at the same time, we can’t beat up Beecher because he isn’t who we wanted. From the handful of clips circulating, there’s plenty to be excited about with his game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I remember the Angelo Esposito up roar in 2007

Check out the second and third round of that draft

Horrible

PK Subban & Wayne Simmonds were the only good second round picks the 28 other guys were ass

In round three Yannick Weber may have been the best pick

Only draft I looked at but if Matt Grzelcyk was in the third round of the 2007 draft he would get the gold medal

If Grzelcyk was in the second round he gets the bronze

Reactions: Blowfish

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Still I feel we need an A Grade center prospect. Stud is one of them. Beecher I love but would never thought lavoie would drop so low. He might have been the better pick? Time will tell.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I went through the spreadsheet someone made of 60 public lists to see where the Bruins picks were ranked.
The Average is calculated if the name appeared on 10 lists so some have '???' instead.
Schmaltz didn't appear on anyone's list, not even TheDraftAnalyst's 'April 500'.

Source: DRAFT DAY: Expected Pick Range

NameDraftedAverageLowHighList Count
Beecher3043307150
Olson92???992086
Bychkov1541438617613
Mantykivi185???1542066
Schmaltz192?????????0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

When the Bruins drafted in Sweeney's first year as GM, their was much speculation (myself included) that the Bruins felt they were smarter than everyone else.

The picks above point to the same possibility. But when you just went to the 7th game of the Cup finals, its easier to think they deserve to have that opinion.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If that Ruins drafted Kaliyev they get an A for the steal of the draft.

The 4 recent drafts top round picks

McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, Vaakanainen, Studnicka, Andersson, Lauko, Beecher

Specifically identifying players that fit the plan of 4 way puck moving defenseman and big fast 200-foot forwards

Sweeney stayed true to the blueprint.

Does anyone think for one second Pronman has a clue what the Bruins organization objective is?

Cory Pronman is no different than a lot of these guys

‘Oh, Lavoie. Kaliyev, Brink were available and they took Beecher’

ANGT!!!! F-A-I-L

What if they had drafted Brett Leason?

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
For those touting Pronman, you can see his 2016 draft rankings that ABC opened up to the public: Top 100 prospects for the 2016 NHL draft

I don't think we are allowed to quote the whole thing but he had McAvoy ranked 26th and this was the last line. 'He won't be leaned on as the first guy over the boards to kill a penalty, but it's very possible he could skate top-four minutes at his peak.'

Last year, he also had Colorado system ranked 21st even though they had Makar, Kaut, Timmins (before shutdown for a year with concussion), and more.

Yes, it is important to read all opinions, but Pronman has long had an anti-Bruins bent. In that same list he had Cholowski ranked 80th, the Red Wings took him 20th, but he didn't sh** all over then like he did the Bruins taking his 74th ranked Frederic with the 29th pick.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I have the right to say I don’t know anything about the picks but I don’t think they’ll hit. It’s called honestly mixed with intuition. I’m loaded with honestly + intuition
You may be”loaded with honesty and intuition”, and, obviously, humility. But if you want credibility it would behoove you to add “IMO” or “IMHO” to your proclamations.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
You may be”loaded with honesty and intuition”, and, obviously, humility. But if you want credibility it would behoove you to add “IMO” or “IMHO” to your proclamations.

I take everything that isn’t sourced to someone credible on this site to be opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->