Post-Game Talk: #6 - 10/20/19 | canucks @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The 2020-21 season was always the one I had higher expectations for.

I can't say I've ever drifted from my feeling that 2018, 2019 and 2020 were going to be difficult seasons to endure.

I think they'll be worthwhile in the long run, but we're not close to being there yet.
I think we as fans will have a harder time this season because we are fickle and are anything but patient.

One quick look at the roster thread and all the talk of solving the 2C position ASAP is all you need.

This team may well be worse this year as the kids are relied on more (ready or not) and vets Zucc and Hayes, soon to be more are not here to keep the baseline up.

This might actually be the bottom out year in all honesty. But thats OK if we (and management) can be patient.

Reactions: jas

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He'll be better than he is right now, and the pendulum will likely swing the other way --- with a renewed hesitation to move him at all.

Not even for our sake, but for his own sake, he better get better.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
There will be lots of juggling early on, but I hope it doesn't get to Renney or Torts levels. Kakko will be fine, but Buch is exhausting to watch. I'd like to see Kakko on the first line and first PP unit for full games.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think we as fans will have a harder time this season because we are fickle and are anything but patient.

One quick look at the roster thread and all the talk of solving the 2C position ASAP is all you need.

This team may well be worse this year as the kids are relied on more (ready or not) and vets Zucc and Hayes, soon to be more are not here to keep the baseline up.

This might actually be the bottom out year in all honesty. But thats OK if we (and management) can be patient.

This is a team, that has three NHL defenseman who COMBINED have not played the equivalent of two NHL seasons.

Assuming that Lindgren comes up at some point, that number will balloon to four and maybe push us just past the two season marker. But it will still be an extremely young corps.

Then at forward we're looking at anywhere from 1-6 forwards who are either rookies or have less than 100 games of NHL experience.

So you're looking at the potential for, at any given point this season, more than half the lineup to be incredibly inexperienced.

And those inexperienced players are also joined by a lot of average or below average veteran talent.

The end result is going to be UGLY quite often.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Regarding Buch, he is a 3rd line player, and that's fine if that's what he wants to get paid like. He isnt capable of playing consistant minutes against the best players in the league. I'd keep him if he is cheap but if he is looking to get paid he can jump on a plane too, he is replaceable. The one thing I'd caution though is that we could get stuck into the Leafs problem where they kept selling and selling players waiting and waiting for the next year until their stars needed money and now they have no cap. If we are selling Kreider and Buch we need to find NHL level players for the team, either in the trades or through free agency. This has to be the last selling year. We need to take a step this year and start working towards our goal next year.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I can promise you all that what you will remember of this season after it's over will be a whole a lot different than what you've seen so far in the first 6 game.

the sooner we forget about the first 2 periods of the last game the better.

that was about as bad as i can remember a quinn team looking

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Can't believe Lemiux didn't see Howden and try to get him that puck there...I was at the game live and that play was right in front of me and I was cursing out Lemieux for not seeing that play develop. Could have been their best chance to tie the game, they had a ton of chances in the 3rd but that could've been the best one.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone else think that's not happening? He is gone gone gone

I've accepted that Kreider is gone. You just feel it, that it's inevitable. He has played very well the last couple of games not to warrant much heat. But he needs to go to a contender looking for a top 6 winger, and who are ready to compete now. Rangers are no where close to that now. CK will be in his 30's before they are ready.

Reactions: jas

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I've accepted that Kreider is gone. You just feel it, that it's inevitable. He has played very well the last couple of games not to warrant much heat. But he needs to go to a contender looking for a top 6 winger, and who are ready to compete now. Rangers are no where close to that now. CK will be in his 30's before they are ready.

His play isnt as much of a question as what his ask will be, his best years are behind him and he is likely looking for the Hayes deal. Not a chance he gets that from us, or maybe anywhere.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His play isnt as much of a question as what his ask will be, his best years are behind him and he is likely looking for the Hayes deal. Not a chance he gets that from us, or maybe anywhere.

Well no one should be giving him a Hayes type deal, but GMs never learn.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This is a team, that has three NHL defenseman who COMBINED have not played the equivalent of two NHL seasons.

Assuming that Lindgren comes up at some point, that number will balloon to four and maybe push us just past the two season marker. But it will still be an extremely young corps.

Then at forward we're looking at anywhere from 1-6 forwards who are either rookies or have less than 100 games of NHL experience.

So you're looking at the potential for, at any given point this season, more than half the lineup to be incredibly inexperienced.

And those inexperienced players are also joined by a lot of average or below average veteran talent.

The end result is going to be UGLY quite often.

I could have swore this very conversation took place repeatedly over the summer.

Reactions: Trxjw and NYR Viper

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
seemingly being unprepared right out of the gate and starting games without the required effort and execution is non-negotiable for me.

i thought a quinn team was going to be all out on effort and preparation. that was 40 mins of disjointed effortless play yesterday.

thats unacceptable. and thats gotta be on quinn too.

guys like marc staal and chris kreider are supposed to be leaders on this team yet on the ice, they are lacking and thats hurting this team. both of those guys wear the A.

a young team needs leadership and not just in the room. young teams need their best players (and sometimes the guys making alot of $$) to play the best. leaders set the tone.

what tone is chris kreider setting ?

perhaps this team is lacking leadership ? something is wrong because what we witnessed yesterday at home against a tired road team playing the 2nd of a b2b was embarrassing.
Honestly they’ve started their 3 last games pretty well, the issue was shooting themselves in the feet with early penalties each time. That to me is possibly of sign of coming out too strong. Even more concerning is most of the penalties are being taken by the veterans. Staal, Panarin, Kreider, Skjei...there were some really dumb ones in there. If they’re gonna keep Staal around for leadership then show some leadership dude.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Honestly they’ve started their 3 last games pretty well, the issue was shooting themselves in the feet with early penalties each time. That to me is possibly of sign of coming out too strong. Even more concerning is most of the penalties are being taken by the veterans. Staal, Panarin, Kreider, Skjei...there were some really dumb ones in there. If they’re gonna keep Staal around for leadership then show some leadership dude.

I was thinking... I don't think I've ever seen Staal retaliate like that before.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Man, everything was pointing towards us tying that game. TWICE they got "involved" in that one sequence, disrupting the flow we had going.
I honestly believe the game would be improved if they put the refs in umpire chairs above the ice. They just get on the way and they don't have a consistent view of what's happening skating around. Have is too fast for them.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Fantastic 3rd period but Vancouver was sitting back so that skews it a bit. Doesn't really make up for the abomination of the first two periods either. This team needs to be a lot less passive in the defensive zone and at the blueline but I'm afraid it's unlikely Quinn makes any adjustments.
What's happened? Last year it seemed like Quinn was "The force "

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I pay 12 bucks for a year ads free of the HF Boards. Well worth it.
Yeah, so people are paying "to not see" advertisements. Sounds like what cable "originally" was.
So.....websites put up inappropriate and in your face ads, so that it makes the reader or visitor to "want to" pay their hard earned money to NOT see something. Is something wrong here? Lol.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Because you added talented players to an uncertain lineup. There were far too many question marks at end of last season going into this season. I still say the moves were good ones, but at the wrong time.
The moves for Panarin and Trouba were prob a year or 2 early. Then again, they wouldn't have been available. We were well on our way to an awesome rebuild.....now, we may end up being caught in the abyss. UNLESS, what we have already (and next years draft) fully materializes.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Agreed 1000%..Tippett tailored the perfect system for that team and their players are really taking to it.
I'm not sure how things will shake out in playoff mode but that's the perfect example of how you start things off..
Why are we g8ving kudos to Tippett, when our very own Torts did pretty much the same thing. Maybe we should get Torts and all his jocularity back.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
It's too early to panic. If history is any indication guys like Kreider and Buch will eventually break out. Same with Kakko

The defense can only get better, so if Quinn is having is showing them video routinely and having them practice at all it should in theory get steadier.

That's not to say we're in any position for a playoff spot, we're not. But I wouldn't base the rest of the season on the last 3 games. We've had much worse starts than this before

Deleted member 23124

The moves for Panarin and Trouba were prob a year or 2 early. Then again, they wouldn't have been available. We were well on our way to an awesome rebuild.....now, we may end up being caught in the abyss. UNLESS, what we have already (and next years draft) fully materializes.
I'm wondering if they just jumped at the chance to get them because they were there or because there would be no one comparable 1-2 years down the road. I've always wondered about that. I always intended to look up the possible FAs but never got around to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad