5x5 Program

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
5x5 is great for linear progression on the core lifts. Add assistance work for the lifts rather than for your muscle. Aim for exercises that will increase your bench squat deadlift and OHP.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
5x5 with linear progression is a good beginner program. I did it for 3 months with added accessories. I'd suggest adding at least a couple accessory lifts per muscle group per workout. For the accessory work, do 3x8-12 or 4x8-12. If you can't do at least 8 for each set, it is too heavy. Once you exceed 12 on your last set, up the weight. If you're looking at Stronglifts, you're probably getting plenty of leg work that you can focus on upper body accessories. I'd suggest that doing 3x5 instead of 1x5 on deadlifts would be better for progression, but that is based on personal experience. Once you're past the point where you can make linear progression, make sure you find a good intermediate program.

For numbers, in 3 months I went from a 95/135/85 lb(S/D/B) to 200/265/135 with Stronglifts. You can see my bench progress was kinda ****.

For me, I'll be going back into programming with 5/3/1 Boring But Big with a 5x5 first set last. It's a simple program and should work well for a beginner as well if you're interested in looking at anything else. Here is a good summary: Boring But Big

You can find a good app for your phone to track progress with that program as well.
Is it your first time with 531? Ive done it for 56 weeks straight and tried a lot of variation, I wouldnt go with BBB.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The first one is quite questionable. It seems to be highly individual how muscles respond to both reps and frequency, but I have never seen any science saying you got to do at least 8. I know PTs etc. like to say somewhere between 8 and 12, but I think that has more to do with the risk of injury than anything else (I don't know though). If someone inexperienced try to lift close to their max there is probably a higher risk of serious injury doing squats, deadlifts etc. Person A might very well respond well to 8-12. I have over almost 20 years of lifting weights found I respond better to lower number of reps - even as low as sets with 2-3. Then it depends on what frequency I am on - I would not do squats 4 times a week doing close to my absolute max with 2-3 reps.

Do agree with you on the second one. I believe in higher number of sets with a high frequency (and lower number of reps for strength).

What I like with 5x5 is that you do get more sets and lower reps than what most people usually do.

To answer the OP. There is nothing scary about 5x5. But you got to test it out systematically to see how you react. Impossible for anyone in general terms to say online if it fits you or not. And a muscle is a muscle so compound or isolation shouldn't matter. People tend to like getting their biceps etc. pumped - so higher number of reps would make sense. In terms of getting stronger there is no difference.

The 3x5 deadlift vs 1x5 deadlift on stronglift is there for a reason. Its most likely going to fry up your CNS, deadlifts are hard to recover from.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Is it your first time with 531? Ive done it for 56 weeks straight and tried a lot of variation, I wouldnt go with BBB.
What has been your favourite variation? Always open to suggestions. I've been having a hard time sticking with a program due to health issues, but I get in when I can.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What has been your favourite variation? Always open to suggestions. I've been having a hard time sticking with a program due to health issues, but I get in when I can.
Triumvirate has been probably the one Ive run the longest, but its boring, off-season powerliftin/Bodybuilding are much more fun IMO.

Reactions: wingsnut19

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Triumvirate has been probably the one Ive run the longest, but its boring, off-season powerliftin/Bodybuilding are much more fun IMO.
Okay, thanks. I will take a look and see what seems to fit my needs most.

Reactions: Mrb1p

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I started the StrongLifts 5x5 program this week. I’m a complete noob to the gym. Starting working out 3 months ago but mostly doing half cardio and half the machines for full body strength every day. Hit a wall and wanted to transition to free weights and a program that works for most. Figured this was a good starting point for awhile.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Had to give up on deadlift while I heal an injury. Hope to start again by the end of the Summer.

5x5 has done wonders for my squats. Moving up at a relatively fast pace. Quads are getting ripped.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Had to give up on deadlift while I heal an injury. Hope to start again by the end of the Summer.

5x5 has done wonders for my squats. Moving up at a relatively fast pace. Quads are getting ripped.
What kind of injury lets you squat but not DL?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
What kind of injury lets you squat but not DL?

That is an excellent question.

It is with my right knee. It was injured when I was doing a deadlift. Probably due to improper form/going to heavy. It was bothering me when I squatted down to deadlift. However, when I do actual squats I don't feel any pain at all. I do full squats as well not half squats.

I think it was because when I was deadlifting my weight was shifted too much forward putting more pressure on my knees.

P.S - I'm actually going back to deadlifting this weekend as it has healed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That is an excellent question.

It is with my right knee. It was injured when I was doing a deadlift. Probably due to improper form/going to heavy. It was bothering me when I squatted down to deadlift. However, when I do actual squats I don't feel any pain at all. I do full squats as well not half squats.

I think it was because when I was deadlifting my weight was shifted too much forward putting more pressure on my knees.

P.S - I'm actually going back to deadlifting this weekend as it has healed.
How familiar are you with barbell training? It seems like issues that would stem from poor form.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
So Deadlifts are just 1x5 for everyone?

I'm doing Jason Blaha's ICF 5x5 and I do 1x5 on my top set and I feel it. I also do back off sets usually after. So right now I'm DLing 305 for 5. Then I'll probably do like 1 275. Then 1x5 225 then maybe 1x5 135.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
A tip for anyone wanting to overload/push through a 5x5 plateau. As you get stronger over time, 5 sets of 5 reps with the same weight will drain you. You won’t progress any longer. I recommend ramping to 1 top set of 5. 225x5, 235x5, 245x5, 265x5, 275x5. You still generate solid workload without the excessive neural fatigue. Your CNS “ramps up” as you “ramp” with the weights. I’d also add rest pause at the end. Meaning: Top set of 275x5 then take ten deep breaths (30 seconds approximately) and complete 1-2 more reps. Rack it, take ten more deep breaths and 1-2 additional reps. Repeat the process till you’ve achieved 5 additional reps to your top set, doubling your total, and esesntially turning your 5 rep set into a 10 one, by extending it with minimal intermittent pauses. Works wonders for strength and hypertrophy.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Can we apply 5x5 to everything like biceps curls, triceps, lat pulldowns, rows, etc?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sure you could, but I think it's best only for compound* movements.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Can we apply 5x5 to everything like biceps curls, triceps, lat pulldowns, rows, etc?

You can but it's not always the most beneficial. Rows, for sure, you can. Anything that is a compound movement, if you are aiming for strength gains, is best done in the 3-5 rep range so you can maximize how heavy you can lift. It's good to mix strength/hypertrophy (often said to be done with 8-12 rep ranges) together that's why you often see stuff like curls, tricep work, pulldowns in the 8-12 range. Rows can vary.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad