Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
The former LA Kings player and Wisconsin Badgers Head Coach is looking forward to grooming the LA Kings No. 5 Draft Pick

Tony Granato's Eager to Prepare Alex Turcotte for the NHL

In addition to Turcotte, he will also be coaching Cole Caufield, who was drafted 15th overall by the Montreal Canadiens this past June. The pair know each other quite well from their time in the USA Hockey National Team Development Program, and will have the opportunity to play together again this season in Wisconsin.

"Cole and [Turcotte] will play together a lot this year on a line. They did the first weekend of the year and lit it up with two great performances. Being able to go through three years in a row with the same player and buddy is pretty special," Granato suggested.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The former LA Kings player and Wisconsin Badgers Head Coach is looking forward to grooming the LA Kings No. 5 Draft Pick

Tony Granato's Eager to Prepare Alex Turcotte for the NHL

In addition to Turcotte, he will also be coaching Cole Caufield, who was drafted 15th overall by the Montreal Canadiens this past June. The pair know each other quite well from their time in the USA Hockey National Team Development Program, and will have the opportunity to play together again this season in Wisconsin.

"Cole and [Turcotte] will play together a lot this year on a line. They did the first weekend of the year and lit it up with two great performances. Being able to go through three years in a row with the same player and buddy is pretty special," Granato suggested.

Scary thought for the rest of the Big Ten knowing that the guy who might be the best finisher we've seen in college hockey in recent memory is going to play with a Top 5 pick center who plays the full 200 game. Their games are going to be alot of fun to watch this year, I don't even think Tony Granato can mess it up.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Gaudreau had over 40 points and 20 goals in his freshman year.

I have yet to see Caulfield reach that.

Multiple players from that US development program will bust. I just have that feeling for a long time already.

Jack Hughes
Alex Turcotte
Trevor Zegras
Matthew Boldy
Spencer Knight - I could see him Busting
Cameron York
Cole Caufield
John Beecher
Alex Vlasic - Not impressed the more I saw of him
Drew Helleson

Those 2 are the mot obvious in my eyes...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Gaudreau had over 40 points and 20 goals in his freshman year.

I have yet to see Caulfield reach that.

Multiple players from that US development program will bust. I just have that feeling for a long time already.

Of course you haven't, Caufield has yet to play in a game in his freshman year.

He may still turn out to become a more productive player than the guy who went 10th overall, who is not off to a good start.
Vasili Podkolzin at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKing

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Scary thought for the rest of the Big Ten knowing that the guy who might be the best finisher we've seen in college hockey in recent memory is going to play with a Top 5 pick center who plays the full 200 game. Their games are going to be alot of fun to watch this year, I don't even think Tony Granato can mess it up.

And it starts tonight. Excited to see what he and Caufield can do. Wish we can watch the game somehow.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Of course you haven't, Caufield has yet to play in a game in his freshman year.

He may still turn out to become a more productive player than the guy who went 10th overall, who is not off to a good start.
Vasili Podkolzin at eliteprospects.com

Yep. Caufield and other USNT products are busts already because they haven't matched Jonny Hockey's freshman numbers before their college seasons have even started.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
and to think people actually wanted to draft him. *shudders in Russian*

??

So one fan who has probably never seen him play thinks he will be a bust so it validates your opinion on him?

He said he thinks a lot of the NTDP kids will bust, so does that mean the Kings should have passed on Turcotte to take one of those good old tough western Canadian kids?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
As for the USNT kids from this past draft, it isn't much of a take to claim several will bust simply due to the sheer number of them that were drafted. Of course some of them will bust since being a 1st or 2nd round pick doesn't guarantee anything.

Now, if you want to put your name on "Caufield will bust", then we've got something.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Turcotte on the 2nd line with Calufield (duh). Some decent prospects in this game tbh. Holloway is going to be a top draft pick this year, Newhook, Boldy and Knight for BC and Miller also for Wisconsin.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Turcotte on the 2nd line with Calufield (duh). Some decent prospects in this game tbh. Holloway is going to be a top draft pick this year, Newhook, Boldy and Knight for BC and Miller also for Wisconsin.

These are maybe the two best teams as far as # of elite NHL prospects. Hoping the Badgers can pull this one out on the road.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yep. Caufield and other USNT products are busts already because they haven't matched Jonny Hockey's freshman numbers before their college seasons have even started.

What’s funny about it is that CC had 14G in 17 games vs NCAA teams as a 17 year old. Which is better than the pace Johnny Hockey had as an 18 year old in the NCAA.

But yup, he’s a bust before he has played an NCAA game.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As for the USNT kids from this past draft, it isn't much of a take to claim several will bust simply due to the sheer number of them that were drafted. Of course some of them will bust since being a 1st or 2nd round pick doesn't guarantee anything.

Now, if you want to put your name on "Caufield will bust", then we've got something.

I agree.

As far as the USNTDP team from last year, there were three I had (and still have) major concerns:
1. Spencer Knight - I think his numbers benefited from being on a good team, because many times I saw him miss very stoppable shots
2. Trevor Zegras - More style than substance, although Anaheim is a very good team to develop forwards
3. Cam York - While I think he'll be an NHL player, he showed a lot of tunnel vision and "puck watching" in the games I watched. It can be coached out, but until it does, he'll get burned a lot.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
??

So one fan who has probably never seen him play thinks he will be a bust so it validates your opinion on him?

He said he thinks a lot of the NTDP kids will bust, so does that mean the Kings should have passed on Turcotte to take one of those good old tough western Canadian kids?
What? I was referring to Podkolzin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad