Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Wisconsin will be the team to watch in college hockey next year. Turcotte and Caufield will be a perfect fit together.

I don't think USA Hockey National Team Development had anything to do it... I think all the kids wore a pair of these under their gear.

tenor.gif

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I think the best player in the draft slipped to you guys here.

I know that’s not the consensus, but I’ve been of that opinion all season.

This reminds me of the 2017 draft, where I also thought the best player in a weak top end of the draft prior to the draft, Pettersson, slipped due to bad drafting.

Hughes was crowned as the next American hockey phenom over a year before this draft. It was incredibly premature. It didn’t allow for the obvious development that happens in the 17 year old seasons of hockey players.

Turcotte outplayed Hughes this season and I’ve long said that his game projects better to the NHL. He isn’t as hyped, but I’ve watched these players play a lot over the last two seasons, and see Turcotte as having a higher ceiling and floor.

As for the other players picked ahead, I’m not going to complain about my team drafting Kakko, but I had Turcotte ranked ahead of Kakko. More positional value, better skater. Not a lot of difference in caliber, but I’d prefer Turcotte. I know that’s not a popular opinion.

I think the big gaffes here were the 3 and 4 picks. The 1 and 2 have been set nearly the whole season due to narratives surrounding players. Rarely do we see GM’s go contrary to consensus with the first few picks. Turcotte was talked about as the 3rd pick to his hometown team. They instead took an inconsistent player who has big bust potential. Colorado’s error wasn’t as bad because it wasn’t a kid who the GM has known for years living in their own backyard, but they needed a star forward. They are a one line team. That’s not going to win you a Cup.

I’m not guaranteeing that I’m right here, but I watched a lot of the NTDP players and enough of the other other 2019 draftees over the last few seasons. I think it’s a pretty weak top end of the draft. There’s no McDavid or Dahlin, but I think Turcotte will be the best player from this draft, like I thought Pettersson would be in the 2017 draft.

You can read the generic scouting reports, but what they underplay about Turcotte’s game is his hockey IQ and pure scoring ability. I think he has at least a 75 hockey IQ. I think he has the best hockey IQ in the draft. He’s such a smart forechecker and the best forechecker in the draft. He reads what defenders are going to do with the puck at such a high level. The player that defensemen who can’t move the puck don’t want to see coming at them while they retrieve picks is Turcotte. He’s going to take it from them and create an extra few zone opportunities per game due to his forechecking ability.

Also, his scoring stats were about the same as Hughes this season with worse line mates, worse zone starts and slightly worse PP usage. Hughes had better stats in international play and against college teams, Turcotte had better stats in league play. His stats are historically good for that program. He’s right there with his scoring averages compared to the best to ever come out of the NTDP program. You can look all of this up. People talked about how to rank the NTDP players this season, and I found the discussion to be very misinformed. Turcotte was viewed as having lower offensive upside, yet his scoring average was considerably higher than all of them, except Hughes. What is the basis for Zegras or Boldy having more scoring potential? It made no sense, but it was in the scouting reports, so it must’ve been true. Turcotte doesn’t play as flashy of an offensive game as some players in this draft because he plays more on the inside of the ice and less on the outside, but he’ll score a lot of points. He also has the ability to run a shift with offensive skill and dekes, so it’s not as if he isn’t capable of playing that style of game, but he operates closer to the net. That’s the more effective game.
Um Colorado got their #1 player in 2017 who will be the better player than Petterson. got their #2 ranked player this year :dunno: stop speaking on behalf of us , furthermore we liked Dach as well , Turcotte was never our guy.

Apololgies to you Kings fans you got a great player but why is a Ranger fan licking ur bxg after selecting Kakko, sounds like he wanted Turcotte :laugh:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Um Colorado got their #1 player in 2017 who will be the better player than Petterson. got their #2 ranked player this year :dunno: stop speaking on behalf of us , furthermore we liked Dach as well , Turcotte was never our guy.

Apololgies to you Kings fans you got a great player but why is a Ranger fan licking ur bxg after selecting Kakko, sounds like he wanted Turcotte :laugh:

Not sure if you're aware but we have some, ahem, history with the Rangers so their fans don't come over here for no reason.

Poster clearly really likes Turcotte and wanted to share, it's almost as if it's the Kings forum for discussing Kings prospects so that shouldn't be too shocking.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Not sure if you're aware but we have some, ahem, history with the Rangers so their fans don't come over here for no reason.

Poster clearly really likes Turcotte and wanted to share, it's almost as if it's the Kings forum for discussing Kings prospects so that shouldn't be too shocking.
Aha ok mybad him speculating on knowing what other teams think is annoying but its his hilarious opinions so thats why I jumped him here. I'll take it to the Rangers board next time and discuss there laughable '17 pick Andersson :laugh:

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Aha ok mybad him speculating on knowing what other teams think is annoying but its his hilarious opinions so thats why I jumped him here. I'll take it to the Rangers board next time and discuss there laughable '17 pick Andersson :laugh:
why is it a "hilarious opinion"? do you cone to our board hoping to see heaps of praise for the Avs?​

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Indeed.

I prefer Kopi over Toews but IMO Dach is more like Getzlaf than Kopi.
Dach is nothing like Getzlaf! He is Carter without the hands! Dach will be a 3rd centre or RWinger! Chicago shit the bed and it started with...lets take the biggest guy

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Let's hope he 's smarter and doesn't get a concussion in his first pre-season game picking a fight with the wrong guy.
Turcotte has more talent than B Schenn! I don't like to compare players. I think Turcotte is unique and has a pro mindset already!

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Dach is nothing like Getzlaf! He is Carter without the hands! Dach will be a 3rd centre or RWinger! Chicago **** the bed and it started with...lets take the biggest guy
He is nothing like Carter. He is not a shooting first center at all and is not a great skater like Jeff.

You constantly mix up Cozens with Dach and Cozens will be a good one.

At least you were right Blake **** the bed when he gave away Kubalik.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Things looking a little better!!

1. TURCOTTE
2. KUPARI
3. VILARDI
4. PETERSEN
5 MIKEY ANDERSON
6. ANDERSON-DOLAN
7. KALE CLAGUE
8. AKIL THOMAS
9. SEAN DURZI
10. BRICKLEY
11. STRAND
12. PHILLIPS
13. VILLALTA
14. SODERGRAN
15, LIZOTTE
16. MOVERARE
I like the list except that Vilardi probably at 10 is more realistic!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
He is nothing like Carter. He is not a shooting first center at all and is not a great skater like Jeff.

I guess time will tell with Dach. Chicago should send him back at least another season. If they don't he'll be a 4th liner or at best a 3rd liner. He's not strong enough for the NHL. I'm sure I'll able to watch him play for Saskatoon Blades a few more times in 2019-20!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

I don't know where you get your info and I don't mean in a derogatory sense. I live in Canada and have seen Cozens play 10-20 times...His foot-work is awkward. Dach can move and is a good skater. Maybe he'll develop into a great powerful skater. Cozens I have my doubts about. I was terrified the Kings might take him and I don't think LA would've taken him if Turcotte had been plucked earlier!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
the guy had better PPG than Hughes in USHL, dont think that is second line center material, also he was the best player on USDP in advanced stats ( outplayed by lesser players ??). If he isnt a 1C Bergeron style I will be disappointed
I think Turcotte has the potential to be LA's top center. Now we are talking 4-5 years when Kopitar retires/traded. Hope that doesn't happen and Kopi has many more productive years. First the Kings need to find him wingers not named Brown or Iafallo(respect due both)

Reactions: TopT

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Things looking a little better!!

1. TURCOTTE
2. KUPARI
3. VILARDI
4. PETERSEN
5 MIKEY ANDERSON
6. ANDERSON-DOLAN
7. KALE CLAGUE
8. AKIL THOMAS
9. SEAN DURZI
10. BRICKLEY
11. STRAND
12. PHILLIPS
13. VILLALTA
14. SODERGRAN
15, LIZOTTE
16. MOVERARE

Good list but Fagemo and Kaliyev are being underrated and Strand and Brickley are being overrated . Also you forgot Bjornfot . Remember Fagemo has a D+ 1 year better than lot of successful NHLers now and in the past . I’d go with

Vilardi
Turcotte
Kupari
Petersen
Clague
Anderson
Anderson-Dolan
Bjornfot
Kaliyev
Thomas
Fagemo
Durzi
Sodergran
Brickley
Strand
Parik
Moverare
Villalta
Phillips
Shafigulin

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I think Turcotte has the potential to be LA's top center. Now we are talking 4-5 years when Kopitar retires/traded. Hope that doesn't happen and Kopi has many more productive years. First the Kings need to find him wingers not named Brown or Iafallo(respect due both)

Kopi will be a top 6/9 center for us longer than 5 years. He will perform like Joe has . I’d love to see Prokhorkin and Kupari on Kopis wings . I’m very high on Kupari

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Good list but Fagemo and Kaliyev are being underrated and Strand and Brickley are being overrated . Also you forgot Bjornfot . Remember Fagemo has a D+ 1 year better than lot of successful NHLers now and in the past . I’d go with

Vilardi
Turcotte
Kupari
Petersen
Clague
Anderson
Anderson-Dolan
Bjornfot
Kaliyev
Thomas
Fagemo
Durzi
Sodergran
Brickley
Strand
Parik
Moverare
Villalta
Phillips
Shafigulin
Not sure why you have Vilardi rated at the top. Wishful thinking? Gabe hasn't played a lot hockey in 2-3 years! He's either Rocky or Bullwinkle. Vilardi's kind is going the way of the Dodo! Big and slow...with skills that haven't been sharpened in a few years tend to disappear!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad