Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
I think we might be undervaluing him by saying he caps out at 2C. He has just as much talent as anyone in this draft and could have been in contention for top pick with Hughes and Kakko if he hadn’t been injured/sick. His points per game was off the charts.

So there are several scouts who have said that they are uncertain as to where Turcotte might end up on a contenders roster. One of the concerns repeated most often is that there were many times what he was outplayed by his opponents who were considered to be of lesser skill/talent.

Another is that he is a bit of a monorail genius. He gets too focused on one aspect or another and misses opportunities as a result. He has the hands and drive to be more than a 2c and he isn't a dumb player. Still like others have said time will tell where he will end up on the roster of a legit cup contender.

For my money I think it is fan Fing tastic to see 2c in a kid who was just drafted. I mean he is a legit NHL'er right out of the draft and could end up being a 2c or top 6er. Nothing to complain about there imo.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
So there are several scouts who have said that they are uncertain as to where Turcotte might end up on a contenders roster. One of the concerns repeated most often is that there were many times what he was outplayed by his opponents who were considered to be of lesser skill/talent.

Another is that he is a bit of a monorail genius. He gets too focused on one aspect or another and misses opportunities as a result. He has the hands and drive to be more than a 2c and he isn't a dumb player. Still like others have said time will tell where he will end up on the roster of a legit cup contender.

For my money I think it is fan Fing tastic to see 2c in a kid who was just drafted. I mean he is a legit NHL'er right out of the draft and could end up being a 2c or top 6er. Nothing to complain about there imo.
the guy had better PPG than Hughes in USHL, dont think that is second line center material, also he was the best player on USDP in advanced stats ( outplayed by lesser players ??). If he isnt a 1C Bergeron style I will be disappointed

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Future leadership right here.

Couple of 2027 letters in that pic?

Never heard this term, dying laughing

I’m excited to see the Turcotte/Caufield duo at Wisconsin next year

They are going to absolutely obliterate things.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
the guy had better PPG than Hughes in USHL, dont think that is second line center material, also he was the best player on USDP in advanced stats ( outplayed by lesser players ??). If he isnt a 1C Bergeron style I will be disappointed

I think a less-physical (prime) Mike Richards may be the best compare? No standout trait, but enough skill for 70+ points with endless motor. So happy and surprised he fell to us.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I can see why he was drafted then, that was the Kings in a nutshell for a long time. Now that they get outplayed by everyone, they must be pining for the good old days when they usually beat good teams and got rolled by bottom feeders.

The bolded is something that can be overcome with compete/focus. When you are better than just about everyone, it's easy to take your own play for granted. I would guess it won't take long in the NHL for him to realize that you take everyone seriously and that anyone can beat you on any given day. That concern is probably why it's so difficult to pinpoint where he fits in, stuff like that is the difference between a top-liner and a top-6er.

Reactions: tonellisghost

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think a less-physical (prime) Mike Richards may be the best compare? No standout trait, but enough skill for 70+ points with endless motor. So happy and surprised he fell to us.

I think he's more Bergeron than Richards, he's more skilled than Richards and while he may not grow height wise he will widen.. think 205-210ish lbs in his prime.. I also think he'll be NHL ready after his Freshmen year...

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I'm thinking Adam Deadmarsh. Then again, maybe I'm basing this upon seeing Turcotte's father interviewed. Turcotte, you'll be an NHLer soon, but afterwards you're gunna morph into a fat guy!!! LoL

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
See I'm thinking if he really soaks in his time at Wisconsin under Granato, he can be a mini less physical Granato who plays center.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think we might be undervaluing him by saying he caps out at 2C. He has just as much talent as anyone in this draft and could have been in contention for top pick with Hughes and Kakko if he hadn’t been injured/sick. His points per game was off the charts.
True but I think the WJC-18 showed a difference between them, despite Turcotte’s injury.

salami

Sep 25, 2005
I'm thinking Adam Deadmarsh. Then again, maybe I'm basing this upon seeing Turcotte's father interviewed. Turcotte, you'll be an NHLer soon, but afterwards you're gunna morph into a fat guy!!! LoL

As I read about him I envisioned Brayden Schenn.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brayden Schenn's rep was that he was a guy juicing points against the Norway's of the world while disappearing against USA, Canada, Sweden, a heart-and-grit player whose scoring disappeared when the going got rough. I don't think Turcotte is comparable given how much his own teammates hate playing him at practice while he's racking up the highest PPG on the team while playing through hip injury and mono.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Brayden Schenn's rep was that he was a guy juicing points against the Norway's of the world while disappearing against USA, Canada, Sweden, a heart-and-grit player whose scoring disappeared when the going got rough. I don't think Turcotte is comparable given how much his own teammates hate playing him at practice while he's racking up the highest PPG on the team while playing through hip injury and mono.

I think he's such a unique player that it's difficult to find a current/past player archetype to compare him to. He's way more dynamic with speed and skill that you typically don't associate with a hard to play against two-way center. Turcotte is definitely a new age player with the skating ability and dangles to go right through a defense, but the included elements of compete level and defensive responsibility make him a bit of a unicorn and it's why I'm so excited about his potential on the Kings.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think he's such a unique player that it's difficult to find a current/past player archetype to compare him to. He's way more dynamic with speed and skill that you typically don't associate with a hard to play against two-way center. Turcotte is definitely a new age player with the skating ability and dangles to go right through a defense, but the included elements of compete level and defensive responsibility make him a bit of a unicorn and it's why I'm so excited about his potential on the Kings.

Kind of agree, but I do think Toews is a very good comparable.

People seem to forget he is/was very skilled himself

Some of those plays are carbon copies of Turcotte's highlight reel, and Toews' production is similar to Kopitar's on a PPG basis, obviously injuries have chopped down his seasons (hopefully not also a Turcotte feature)

Reactions: lumbergh

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017

It is about managing expectations I suppose. I don't see him being a team Captain with at least a 2c potential as being anything other than great but I keep my expectations as reasonable as possible and then am pleasantly surprised when they are exceeded but that is me. I would ad that advance stats don't translate perfectly.

1/b 2nd c either way is good for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad