Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You do know that CHL players are obligated until 20, whereas college players can sign and play anytime in the AHL.

He was drafted outside of CHL. The agreement wouldn't apply to him. He could do one year in Saginaw and then go to AHL. He wouldn't have to wait until 20.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
As early as next year LA could be adding Vilardi(I know) - Turcotte - Kupari into the lineup. Thomas too.

I think they will space them out but hot damn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You sure? I thought the agreement applied to all? Import draft?

I've watched junior hockey for 17 years. I am sure. It's where you're drafted out of, not where you are currently playing. Bode Wilde is in the same boat. He could go to the AHL this year if the Islanders so choose to put him there.

As far as imports go, same general rule applies but it can get murky depending on if a player is "on loan" or not. That's not always spelled out very well. See Zadina.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
He’ll make it this year.

A couple of observations from the draft party. JAD was there on stage fielding questions. Also Kale Clague's draft profile was a prominent slide in the repeating slide show of former Kings draft choices which I assume they deemed as successes. I didn't see no Forbort in that slide show. I think it's safe to say the organization has big plans for both JAD and Clague.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the best player in the draft slipped to you guys here.

I know that’s not the consensus, but I’ve been of that opinion all season.

This reminds me of the 2017 draft, where I also thought the best player in a weak top end of the draft prior to the draft, Pettersson, slipped due to bad drafting.

Hughes was crowned as the next American hockey phenom over a year before this draft. It was incredibly premature. It didn’t allow for the obvious development that happens in the 17 year old seasons of hockey players.

Turcotte outplayed Hughes this season and I’ve long said that his game projects better to the NHL. He isn’t as hyped, but I’ve watched these players play a lot over the last two seasons, and see Turcotte as having a higher ceiling and floor.

As for the other players picked ahead, I’m not going to complain about my team drafting Kakko, but I had Turcotte ranked ahead of Kakko. More positional value, better skater. Not a lot of difference in caliber, but I’d prefer Turcotte. I know that’s not a popular opinion.

I think the big gaffes here were the 3 and 4 picks. The 1 and 2 have been set nearly the whole season due to narratives surrounding players. Rarely do we see GM’s go contrary to consensus with the first few picks. Turcotte was talked about as the 3rd pick to his hometown team. They instead took an inconsistent player who has big bust potential. Colorado’s error wasn’t as bad because it wasn’t a kid who the GM has known for years living in their own backyard, but they needed a star forward. They are a one line team. That’s not going to win you a Cup.

I’m not guaranteeing that I’m right here, but I watched a lot of the NTDP players and enough of the other other 2019 draftees over the last few seasons. I think it’s a pretty weak top end of the draft. There’s no McDavid or Dahlin, but I think Turcotte will be the best player from this draft, like I thought Pettersson would be in the 2017 draft.

You can read the generic scouting reports, but what they underplay about Turcotte’s game is his hockey IQ and pure scoring ability. I think he has at least a 75 hockey IQ. I think he has the best hockey IQ in the draft. He’s such a smart forechecker and the best forechecker in the draft. He reads what defenders are going to do with the puck at such a high level. The player that defensemen who can’t move the puck don’t want to see coming at them while they retrieve picks is Turcotte. He’s going to take it from them and create an extra few zone opportunities per game due to his forechecking ability.

Also, his scoring stats were about the same as Hughes this season with worse line mates, worse zone starts and slightly worse PP usage. Hughes had better stats in international play and against college teams, Turcotte had better stats in league play. His stats are historically good for that program. He’s right there with his scoring averages compared to the best to ever come out of the NTDP program. You can look all of this up. People talked about how to rank the NTDP players this season, and I found the discussion to be very misinformed. Turcotte was viewed as having lower offensive upside, yet his scoring average was considerably higher than all of them, except Hughes. What is the basis for Zegras or Boldy having more scoring potential? It made no sense, but it was in the scouting reports, so it must’ve been true. Turcotte doesn’t play as flashy of an offensive game as some players in this draft because he plays more on the inside of the ice and less on the outside, but he’ll score a lot of points. He also has the ability to run a shift with offensive skill and dekes, so it’s not as if he isn’t capable of playing that style of game, but he operates closer to the net. That’s the more effective game.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

This reminds me of the 2017 draft, where I also thought the best player in a weak top end of the draft prior to the draft, Pettersson, slipped due to bad drafting.

Hughes was crowned as the next American hockey phenom over a year before this draft. It was incredibly premature. It didn’t allow for the obvious development that happens in the 17 year old seasons of hockey players.

Turcotte outplayed Hughes this season and I’ve long said that his game projects better to the NHL. He isn’t as hyped, but I’ve watched these players play a lot over the last two seasons, and see Turcotte as having a higher ceiling and floor.

As for the other players picked ahead, I’m not going to complain about my team drafting Kakko, but I had Turcotte ranked ahead of Kakko. More positional value, better skater. Not a lot of difference in caliber, but I’d prefer Turcotte. I know that’s not a popular opinion.

I think the big gaffes here were the 3 and 4 picks. The 1 and 2 have been set nearly the whole season due to narratives surrounding players. Rarely do we see GM’s go contrary to consensus with the first few picks. Turcotte was talked about as the 3rd pick to his hometown team. They instead took an inconsistent player who has big bust potential. Colorado’s error wasn’t as bad because it wasn’t a kid who the GM has known for years living in their own backyard, but they needed a star forward. They are a one line team. That’s not going to win you a Cup.

I’m not guaranteeing that I’m right here, but I watched a lot of the NTDP players and enough of the other other 2019 draftees over the last few seasons. I think it’s a pretty weak top end of the draft. There’s no McDavid or Dahlin, but I think Turcotte will be the best player from this draft, like I thought Pettersson would be in the 2017 draft.

You can read the generic scouting reports, but what they underplay about Turcotte’s game is his hockey IQ and pure scoring ability. I think he has at least a 75 hockey IQ. I think he has the best hockey IQ in the draft. He’s such a smart forechecker and the best forechecker in the draft. He reads what defenders are going to do with the puck at such a high level. The player that defensemen who can’t move the puck don’t want to see coming at them while they retrieve picks is Turcotte. He’s going to take it from them and create an extra few zone opportunities per game due to his forechecking ability.

Also, his scoring stats were about the same as Hughes this season with worse line mates, worse zone starts and slightly worse PP usage. Hughes had better stats in international play and against college teams, Turcotte had better stats in league play. His stats are historically good for that program. He’s right there with his scoring averages compared to the best to ever come out of the NTDP program. You can look all of this up. People talked about how to rank the NTDP players this season, and I found the discussion to be very misinformed. Turcotte was viewed as having lower offensive upside, yet his scoring average was considerably higher than all of them, except Hughes. What is the basis for Zegras or Boldy having more scoring potential? It made no sense, but it was in the scouting reports, so it must’ve been true. Turcotte doesn’t play as flashy of an offensive game as some players in this draft because he plays more on the inside of the ice and less on the outside, but he’ll score a lot of points. He also has the ability to run a shift with offensive skill and dekes, so it’s not as if he isn’t capable of playing that style of game, but he operates closer to the net. That’s the more effective game.
Appreciated. Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Unless my last KO was so bad...he already proved and should be on the team.

Where does he fit is the question.

Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Kovy Porky Carter
Grundstrom Kempe Toffoli
Clifford Amadio Wagner
Lewis

Lizotte/Leipsic/Luff/JAD

If JAD makes the team moves will have to be made.

Could beat out Amadio would be my guess.

Could also play a year in the AHL which might be good honestly.

Kings should move out Carter at least. Easier said than done.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Iaffalo Kopitar Brown
Kovy Porky Carter
Grundstrom Kempe Toffoli
Clifford Amadio Wagner
Lewis

Lizotte/Leipsic/Luff/JAD

If JAD makes the team moves will have to be made.

Could beat out Amadio would be my guess.

Could also play a year in the AHL which might be good honestly.

Kings should move out Carter at least. Easier said than done.

We haven't even seen Prokhorkin yet.

Reactions: kilowatt

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
You’re kinda surly today.

You’re right. He may slid in as a winger. I think Rosen said 3rd line center. He could F off back to Russia. Just trying to slot lines at the moment. Kings have way to many forwards as is. Could be a good year for the Reign tho.

Surely? I'm still worried about Leon getting larger than that.

Surly you can't be serious

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The boldfaced, by far, one of my biggest issues with the other NTDP kids. To be fair, they were ranked lower, but i LOVE him getting his nose dirty and this team needs that more than it needs another board dweller.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
You can't be disappointed in the pick. He was very likely our #1 on our list. I am very surprised that he got by Chicago and Colorado. Better than I expected. Great pick. We got our top guy.
I think our guy was probably Byram then Turcotte! Either way we got a helluva player!

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Alex Turcotte was 100% our guy. After he was selected, Jim Fox went on stage and told a story that a month ago Luc told him that Turcotte was the #1 guy they wanted (discounting Hughes and Kaapo), but they didn't think they would get him. Said he knows that's the stock answer all GMs give about who they draft after the fact, but it was entirely the truth in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad