Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Back to projecting Alex Turcotte..
The kid is really, really good and arguably elite..

Think Patrice Bergeron ceiling with a Mike Richards floor..

Elite
- Will/Determination, Hockey IQ, Defense and Awareness
Above Average - Skating, Speed, Shot, Playmaking and Passing

Might need another year to physically mature but his game is NHL ready

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Posted this in his thread in the prospect forum. I thought it would also be relevant here.

14 points in 9 games. Hobey Baker watch should be on for now. Only two Freshmen have won the Hobey Baker, Kariya and Eichel. Kariya was at 2.56 PPG, Eichel at 1.78.

Turcotte is at 1.56. Using the last 30 years, Turcotte is on pace for the T5th best U19 season in PPG, but 3rd is well within reach. Some guy named Ryan Hughes is third at 1.63, Jaden Schwartz is 4th at 1.57, and he's tied with Zach Parise for 5th at 1.56. Notable players just below what he's averaging are Brian Gionta (1.55), St. Louis (1.53), Weight (1.50), Heatley (1.47), Cammalleri (1.45), Keller (1.45), Boeser (1.43).

If he can get that average up a little to 1.65 or above, I would have to think he's in close contention for the Hobey Baker. That would be the third best U19 season in recent history behind a HHOF'er and another guy who'll be there when his career is over. Both of those guys won the Hobey Baker as a Freshman. Then again, the sample is only 9 games, so it's small enough that he could definitely start struggling and his PPG number could go the other way.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Back to projecting Alex Turcotte..
The kid is really, really good and arguably elite..

Think Patrice Bergeron ceiling with a Mike Richards floor..

Elite
- Will/Determination, Hockey IQ, Defense and Awareness
Above Average - Skating, Speed, Shot, Playmaking and Passing

Might need another year to physically mature but his game is NHL ready

Turcotte 11th in NCAA scoring! If not for being out ill 2 weeks ago and missing 2 games, he may be about 5-6 overall scoring.
As far as getting stronger, he is....but looks pretty developed for an 18 yr old. He's very determined and works hard.
He will certainly be strong enough to play for the Kings next season, if he signs.

Elite Prospects - NCAA Stats 2019-2020

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ncaa/stats/2019-2020gettyimages-1147214701-1024x1024.jpg GettyImages-1147217037-1024x698.jpg

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
I've watched all the games televised this season. As much as I love AT game, CC goals are very pretty. Very quick hands scores from all over.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Did you ask Turcotte? Because that’s the opinion that matters.

No, I was just going off of what was rumored to happen. There were a few articles that came out discussing his choice to stick with his commitment and Granato even mentioned a few times that he knows he won't be sticking around very long.

You are right that his opinion matters most, I don't personally know him so I was just basing it off of what I have read.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

This article made my day....and quotes from Caufield too. I like that Alex says he and Bjornfot have already become good friends and stay in touch. Cool.

“You could put him in an NHL game tonight and he’d do just fine,” Granato said. “Over the long haul, and what’s best for his long-term career and development, this year is really important. This is the right place for him this year. At the end of the year, he’ll have to make that decision. Not me.
“And the L.A. Kings will have to make that decision. Is he ready? I talk to Blakey and Luc and Mike Donnelly and (Jarret) Stoll every day. They’d like to have him ready at the end of the year, no doubt.”

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, Im sure he’ll be continuing his academic pursuits next year lol
He probably won't, but I think after reading the article in The Athletic on Turcotte, I think it would be wise of him to stay through the end of his sophomore season.

His presence next season won't matter in the least to the Kings. His ice time will be reduced, and he may get frustrated. I look at what is going on with Hughes this season, and I don't think he is better for the experience.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
He probably won't, but I think after reading the article in The Athletic on Turcotte, I think it would be wise of him to stay through the end of his sophomore season.

His presence next season won't matter in the least to the Kings. His ice time will be reduced, and he may get frustrated. I look at what is going on with Hughes this season, and I don't think he is better for the experience.
Yeah, I have zero problem with him waiting an extra year and developing physically. We still need to road test Amadio, Lizzotte and hopefully Vilardi next year anyway.

Just sounded like people were wondering a while back if he were remaining there for his education.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It depends on so many factors. One major factor is the lack of competition a C. Kopi is the only lock down the middle and next year we could easily have Turcotte, JAD and Porky down the middle, with Vilardi sliding over to wing. So I don’t think Ice Time would be hard to come by. Granato reckons he’s physically ready now, in 8 months time he will be even more ready and stronger.

I think it will be down to how many bodies they move out of the roster to make room for the kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad