Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
More like we actually/finally get the 1OA
Long odds on either one.

The Kings marketing team will have a field day with the kid’s last name. I see a co-branding with the other Los Angeles sports teams - saying “LA”-Freniere was born to be in LA, and so on.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Long odds on either one.

The Kings marketing team will have a field day with the kid’s last name. I see a co-branding with the other Los Angeles sports teams - saying “LA”-Freniere was born to be in LA, and so on.

Oh gosh... I hadn't thought about all that crap..

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I keep getting the feeling that Turcotte will amount to nothing more than a Craig Conroy type of guy. Solid, but not spectacular. A midde-six guy, but only a top-six on a really poor team.

Am I alone in this thinking?

Thanks!!!

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I keep getting the feeling that Turcotte will amount to nothing more than a Craig Conroy type of guy. Solid, but not spectacular. A midde-six guy, but only a top-six on a really poor team.

Thanks!!!
I think that's his absolute floor.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Thanks!!!

I think people are mistaking him being very good at everything for being excellent at nothing. Think Kopitar and Toews. Or Toews/Richards, that's my best vibe on Turcotte. Not elite skillwise like Pettersson or something, but elite brainwise and two-way IQ, with great hands and offensive instincts. Someone elsewhere mentioned opponents have to respect his whole toolkit because he's not shoot-first OR pass-first, he keeps you guessing, and that deception is more effective than stickhandling even if it's less flashy.

Bonus points for him being one of the few high-end guys that's drafted early where you know he's tenacious, physical, wants to be in-your-face all game. Guys were talking about how he was slashing the shit out of them at practice. That's what I want on this team after a year where cream-puff Toffoli of all people talked about pathetic practices. Turcotte is going to melt that f***ing kid.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks!!!

I don't want to say you're alone, but without any explanation of why you feel this way, I will just say I vehemently disagree.

He is tied with Cole Caufield for the team lead on Wisconsin, but he's done it in two fewer games. The only two players ahead of him in scoring in the NCAA are seniors. He drives the play and controls the powerplay, while being vaunted as a defensively responsible player (though he hasn't had much PK time).

On the US National Team last year, he was second in points/game only to Jack Hughes. He missed significant time due to illness and a hip injury, but was still among the top producers when he recovered.

LA Kings Select Alex Turcotte No. 5 – What You Need to Know

Your feelings may be right, as prospects don't meet their expectation all the time, but if you are just going on a gut feeling, all evidence right now at least suggests you just have bad indigestion.

Reactions: Faterson

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Thanks!!!

Sounds like someone who hasn’t even watched Turcotte play a game.

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
If Vilardi keeps progressing the way he is, then even if Turcotte amounts to just a 2nd line center, that would be one heck of a 1-2 punch down the middle. Through in the remote possibility that the Kings end up in position to draft Byfield, that would be unmatchable depth down the middle. Although it would cause salary cap issues in the future (thout it is far too early to speculate on something like that).

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If Vilardi keeps progressing the way he is, then even if Turcotte amounts to just a 2nd line center, that would be one heck of a 1-2 punch down the middle. Through in the remote possibility that the Kings end up in position to draft Byfield, that would be unmatchable depth down the middle. Although it would cause salary cap issues in the future (thout it is far too early to speculate on something like that).
That’s a scenario where you’d either move one of the 3 players to fill holes elsewhere, or one would slide over to wing. Still, we’re a long way of that just yet. Although, you could have Kopitar as the leagues most expensive 4c :)

Reactions: Basilisk

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

No worries there, we’re known for success in lining up centers at wing.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
That’s a scenario where you’d either move one of the 3 players to fill holes elsewhere, or one would slide over to wing. Still, we’re a long way of that just yet. Although, you could have Kopitar as the leagues most expensive 4c :)

What I’d like to see is a total bounce back from Kopitar so that he’s still a 1C even 3 years from now.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

Thanks!!!

Dear goodness lets hope he becomes a better player then Craig Freakin Conroy. I'm really hoping the hockey Gods grants us a break from being screwed over in the draft and give us the best player in this years draft like they did Pittsburgh back in 1990. Wouldn't that be something. We need Turcotte and this years draft pick which will be pretty high to become studs if the Kings will be any good in the future. And if you're right and Turcotte becomes another Conroy sheesh God help us all.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Euh, there is a difference between hoping and thinking.

I understand what Basilisk is saying.

Turcotte’s numbers speak volumes. He was the closest thing to Hughes. Some even think he will turn out to be better.

Better goalscorer than Hughes but worse passer. At the same time, for some reason I am not super thrilled and he was my choice after Byram. I dont know what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad