Post-Game Talk: 5th annual Prospects Challenge set for September 6-9

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric Registered User

Booooo

GloryDaze4877 likes this.
  2. AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates Lionel Ritchie for Hart Trophy Sponsor

Ludwig Larsson wins in OT for NJ.

Was ALL Boston until Anderson send an very ill choice pass right to NJ to start a 2 on 1 that started the possession for the game winner.

TCB and Mission ImPastable like this.
  3. jangerhofer

jangerhofer Registered User

Little concerning to see so many goals allowed on weak-side plays, but I suppose it's difficult to coordinate coverage with a d-partner with whom you've played a grand total of about two hours.

4. JOKER 192

JOKER 192 Just a Fan

Well that sucks.

Liked Vakk and Asslin

Anderson not so much.

5. Saxon Eric

Next game in 7 days!

BlackFrancis and Alicat like this.
  6. Mission ImPastable

Mission ImPastable This is not Brad

Oh well nice to see a game, anyways thanks Angry for the youtube info

TCB likes this.
  7. JCRO

JCRO At least I'm safe inside my mind Sponsor

I only caught the third but man did Anderson stick out in a bad way various times.

8. DKH

DKH Registered User

Studnicka great balance and use of body

Vaakanainen looks great

9. BruinsBtn

BruinsBtn Registered User

Terrible end to that game. Zech completely lost the guy on the backdoor play with 8 seconds left, then Andersson with another giveaway in OT. I was such a fan of Axel but he needs to go to the CHL and play somewhere he can build some confidence. Another guy who stood out was Studnicka. He moves his feet great for a big guy but he looked absolutely gassed far too often. Way too many turnovers to play for Butch too.

On the NJ side, Hughes is much more of a work-in-progress than anticipated. Guy gave it away a half-dozen times.

Overall, the Bruins 29th-ranked prospect pool was even overall with the lauded #3 Devils. Their only goals were on two-man advantages.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  10. AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates Lionel Ritchie for Hart Trophy Sponsor

Keyser looked great in the first half. Good positioning, good anticipation and confidence. Asselin was decent, Hannoun had a good game. Steen will be a star in Providence.
    I want to see Zech get some time with coaches, he has the tools but needs to watch Krug film ala CLockwork Orange.
    I like Lauko, will be rooting for him.

Generally they all need seasoning except Bjork and Vaak. Depending on how the RFA front goes both could make the team out of camp.

Will be interesting to see the goalie brawl in Providence. Lagace is the vet and will get a spot, but Keyser looking like he may push Vladar for the backup.

PepeBostones likes this.
  11. BruinsBtn

There was no confusion. I think Steen was the guy who hit Hughes. Bastian went after him and cross-checked him to the ice and then slashed him again on the ground. Sherman skated over and grabbed Bastian as he was whacking Steen and dropped the gloves.

12. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    gonna be a long season, can`t even beat a non playoff team like the Devils #lotterypick:sarcasm:

BMC likes this.
  13. Mission ImPastable

Mission ImPastable This is not Brad

I watched our goals again. Nice passes by Zech and Stud on the 1st. Henooin, Hymom, dammit I'm going with High Noon made 3 good plays on his goal. First on the face off he beat his man and put it back to the dee and immediately circled to the open space and took a nice pass. He drove the net beating the dee and made a great pass. He then followed up the puck and circled the net and put it high over the keeper. Good plays by the little Heinen.

Blowfish likes this.
  14. Blowfish

Blowfish Registered User

Great to hear he’s continuing his strong play.

15. GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877 Barely Irrelevant

A few things:

The hit on Jack Hughes was by Perrott. It was clean and Bastian went after him from behind and knocked him to the ice with a crosscheck. Sherman stepped in to protect him.

What happened to Cam Hughes was unclear because in the middle of the play, the camera jumped to a closeup of a NJ player. If they had stayed with the wide shot, we could have seen the play. It looked like a collision between Hughes, Boqvist, and a Bruins D? If I had to guess, I would say that he caught a stick from one of the other two players.

Andersson had a couple of bad plays, but overall I thought he was very good. He was trying to hit Hannoun down low right before the GWG for NJ in OT, but Hannoun was not expecting it, and it was easily picked off.

I agree with Eric, Jack Hughes should have gone to college for a year. He's going to be good, but I think he's going to get an education this year.

Studnicka just needs to shorten his shifts a bit and he will be fine.

Props to the NJ organization for streaming the game, but I thought their guys were ****ing awful. They kissed Hughes' ass the entire game, even though he was outplayed by guys on both sides (Maltsev and Boqvist easily from NJ). They were saying B's player's names, but they were the wrong ones on several occasions. Keyser left midway through the game (planned) and they didn't realize it was Gauthier until well into the 3rd.

This is why the B's should be streaming this with their announcers.

edit: Also the officiating was pretty lopsided. Both penalties (on Stud and Asselin) that resulted in the 5 on 3 were BS. The PP at the end was also a gift. Lantosi and Boqvist collided going for a puck and they called the penalty on Boston.

16. OneManIsNoMan

OneManIsNoMan Registered User

I was watching while doing some presentation work for a meeting, so I only saw bits a pieces. On thing that stood out to me is Keyser seem to have a very strong push-off, allowing him to exploded from post to post.

PepeBostones and AngryMilkcrates like this.
  17. BronxBruin

BronxBruin Registered User

Home Page:
    My thoughts from watching the final two games of the tourney:

Good:
    -- I only saw Bjork in one game but he looked to be on a different level than everyone else. That is a bit to be expected but it was good to see. Hopefully he carries the play into the season.
    -- Studnicka was the second most notable player. He showed off his skill, played well defensively, and showed more grit/nastiness than I remember. He definitely needs to clean up the turnovers though. He made a few too many blind passes to the other team.
    -- I thought Vaakanainen was really good as well. He showed his usual solid defensive play but seemed more involved offensively than we have seen in the past.
    -- I liked Lauko as well. His speed and tenacity stand out every time I see him. He was also constantly getting into it after the whistle as well.
    -- Steen was good in the first game I saw (2g, 1a) but was a bit less noticeable in the final game. Still had his moments but inconsistent (which is normal for young players).
    -- Zech showed a lot of confidence with the puck on his stick. It'll be interesting to see him develop in Providence this year.
    -- Asselin was constantly mixing it up with the other team and made some nice plays as well (including a PP goal vs Buffalo).
    -- Hannoun is tiny but he stood out among the camp invites. He had a couple points and was surprisingly physical given his size. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot in Providence.
    -- All of the goalies seemed fine to me. None of the goals I saw would I consider 'soft' as the majority of them came on the PP or odd man rushes.

Not so good:
    -- I thought Andersson looked OK for the most part but he had 2 brutal giveaways right to the other team leading to a 2-on-0 and 2-on-1. We'll see how he does in camp (I thought he looked good in the preseason last year) but the QMJHL is looking more likely in my opinion.
    -- Shen was essentially invisible. I don't recall a single play he made in the 2 games I watched.
    -- Koppanen is pretty meh. It wouldn't surprise me if he was back in Finland before the end of the season.
    -- Sherman is basically the defensive version of Koppanen...just kinda there and if you notice him, it's more likely because of a screw up than him actually making a good play (though good on him for dropping the gloves). Given the defensive depth in Providence, he'll probably be seeing a lot of the press box (or even possibly the ECHL).

PepeBostones, DKH, Saxon Eric and 2 others like this.
  18. BruinsBtn

I don't really have a clue about goalies but I loved him in Oshawa the past two years. One thing I did notice is that he can get small in the butterfly. Sometimes when he goes down he really slouches -- especially on shots in traffic -- and you can see a lot of net above him. Whereas guys like Rask and Price stay more upright. I don't know if that's a style thing or something that needs to be corrected.

19. GloryDaze4877

I thought Koppanen had a very strong game today.

Sherman is a work in progress. You can't teach his size and he moves very well for a guy that big. It's unlikely he becomes an NHL regular, but I think it's too early to give up on him.

I guess that's why there are so many different flavors of ice cream? Everybody likes something different.

20. GloryDaze4877

Keyser will beat Vladar out and be the #2 in PRO.

Tbaybruin and JOKER 192 like this.
  21. BruinsBtn

I don't ever really have an idea but I hope they're both awesome wherever they're playing.

22. PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

That crosschecking sequence was quite brave.

23. BruinsBtn

From the Athletic on Cooper Zech:
    "In 2014-15, Zach Zech, Cooper’s older brother, played for Odessa. Zach urged the Jackalopes to give his brother a tryout."

I'd love to meet his parents with a name like that.

BMC likes this.
  24. Saxon Eric

Be better for Keyser to play lots of games in Atlanta than 22-25 in Providence
    Vladar has his issues but I still have him slightly ahead of Keyser

25. BMC

BMC Per Johan Axelsson Sponsor

They should have just named him "Kick Me" :biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.