Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Well learning not to dangle too much is probably easier than learning how to dangle.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Just want to concur that it would be good for people to limit their declarations on players they barely know or don't know at all.

Exactly, I understand this is a message board and opinions are goig to be expressed. It would just be nice if people could learn to limit there rants to fact based observations and lose the childish nick names.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He does that a lot but he also provides kernels of wisdom.

Off the top of my head he's taken heat here over the years for saying that:
- Grigorenko would bust;
- De La Rose would surpass Bournival on the depth chart;
- Sergachev won't reach his ceiling due to IQ issues;
- Subban is good, Weber is better;

Regardless, on this issue he's correct. If all you know about a player are a couple tweets from Corey Pronman, don't praise Timmins and don't diss Timmins.

One question: how does he know who's seen what?

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He does that a lot but he also provides kernels of wisdom.

Off the top of my head he's taken heat here over the years for saying that:
- Grigorenko would bust;
- De La Rose would surpass Bournival on the depth chart;
- Sergachev won't reach his ceiling due to IQ issues;
- Subban is good, Weber is better;

Regardless, on this issue he's correct. If all you know about a player are a couple tweets from Corey Pronman, don't praise Timmins and don't diss Timmins.

Stopped reading here.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Everytime I have seen him he has been confident, exciting and selfish. I think the last quality might be his undoing.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Would already be a better option than Shaw or Gallagher on the left side half-board of our powerplay. Him and Drouin or Galchenyuk (with Lekhonen in front of net) will be great powerplay.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Love this pick for the Habs. Bummed that the Yotes traded down from 35 to 44 and still passed up on Ikonen. Ikonen could end up being a 25-30g steal of a winger.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Would already be a better option than Shaw or Gallagher on the left side half-board of our powerplay. Him and Drouin or Galchenyuk (with Lekhonen in front of net) will be great powerplay.

I don't really think so. He needs to figure out the SHL/Liiga first.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I don't really think so. He needs to figure out the SHL/Liiga first.

Shaw and Gallagher are better 5vs5 players, by far. Skill-wise, Ikonen, at the moment, can dangle and one-time the puck harder and faster than these two. On the PP, that's what you need.

Yes, he needs to play with Frolunda in the SHL for three years and learn to become a more-rounded player against men. He will be playing for us at the start of 2020-2021.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Interesting exchange from early this morning:

All the 'weak draft' predictions can never predict the surprises that come with every crop of prospects, often in the 2nd round. It'll be interesting to see which of today's no-name 2nd round picks becomes an NHL star... even more interesting if Timmins is the guy who figures it out beforehand.

Ikonen will be that guy. I would trade McCarron to get an early 2nd to draft him.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Shaw and Gallagher are better 5vs5 players, by far. Skill-wise, Ikonen, at the moment, can dangle and one-time the puck harder and faster than these two. On the PP, that's what you need.

Yes, he needs to play with Frolunda in the SHL for three years and learn to become a more-rounded player against men. He will be playing for us at the start of 2020-2021.

Oh his dangles and one timer are excellent. It'd also be refreshing to have Drouin or Galchenyuk have someone to pass to cross crease on that side, who can also return the favour. Would really force the opponents to give up the points and good luck with that (Weber).

It'll be very interesting to watch him develop. Frölunda will be playing in Austria in the CHL. Might drive over there to see our boy play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->