Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
0 points in 6 games now. Only 6 minutes of ice time in today's game. Let's hope he wakes up soon.

Waking up would have been CHL. Lipanov is here. He's not. And now, he has 6 minutes of icetime. Way to go for development!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They started him off as the top line centre and he goose egged it. Moved him down and then to the wing and he hasn’t done anything. Limit his ice time more and more but really, you can’t fault the coach. Ikonen needs to wake up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They started him off as the top line centre and he goose egged it. Moved him down and then to the wing and he hasn’t done anything. Limit his ice time more and more but really, you can’t fault the coach. Ikonen needs to wake up.

how has he looked in the games though, lazy? bad decisions? snake bit? I haven't seen any since the 1st CHL tournament game.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
how has he looked in the games though, lazy? bad decisions? snake bit? I haven't seen any since the 1st CHL tournament game.

I can hook you up if you're looking for decent Liiga streams ;) . From the games I've seen, Ikonen is looking kinda over matched really. He's behind the play, slow in his decisions and easily separated from the puck. You can see he's not quite physically mature yet and it's hurting his game against pros. To his defense , Kalpa's offense has been very bad, scoring 9 goals in 6 games as of today. The team lost it's 4 best scorers from last season and it really shows. A few games at a lower level might do him some good.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I can hook you up if you're looking for decent Liiga streams ;) . From the games I've seen, Ikonen is looking kinda over matched really. He's behind the play, slow in his decisions and easily separated from the puck. You can see he's not quite physically mature yet and it's hurting his game against pros. To his defense , Kalpa's offense has been very bad, scoring 9 goals in 6 games as of today. The team lost it's 4 best scorers from last season and it really shows. A few games at a lower level might do him some good.

It's perfect that he went to Kalpa, they are preparing him for Montreal's inability to score goals. When he finally cracks the Habs' line-up, it will be a seamless process.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I haven’t seen him. Read an article about it and the jist is he just isn’t producing. Was doing okay at first but points didn’t show up and now his play had dropped off a bit, hence the demotion.

I’m not terribly worried. He’s a young player and will have to deal with adversity. Hopefully he will and be bettter for it!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I have the streams, it's their game times that are a problem for now, plus I'm thinking of focusing much more on the NCAA this year to get a really good look at Poehling plus Laval. Was thinking of getting the WHL package but not sure if I will or not as it's going to be hard to find time for all of them plus Habs.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I have the streams, it's their game times that are a problem for now, plus I'm thinking of focusing much more on the NCAA this year to get a really good look at Poehling plus Laval. Was thinking of getting the WHL package but not sure if I will or not as it's going to be hard to find time for all of them plus Habs.

Yeah euro hockey is kinda tricky time wise. I generally catch a period on my lunch break, it's one of the perks of having an office :laugh: .

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
A new low for Ikonen today as he gets under 5 minutes of ice time as the 13th forward in a 5-2 lost for Kalpa. A short stint with the JrA team would do him a ton of good right now in my opinion.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, I think he needs to get some confidence back in JrA.

I hope Poehling and our other draft picks have a good season. This is getting pretty depressing.

Reactions: ArsHabs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kalpa played a champions league game today in which Ikonen got 2 assists.

Hopefully that gets him going.

Jul 6, 2016
The kid should play vs kids of his age at a junior level, and dominate ! Not in a grown men's league.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Here's hoping it's the case. Two assists with about 12 minutes of usage? Impressive.
KalPa looked like NHL team against those norwegians. Skill level between FEL and GET-league is massive so I think that only shows what his problem is: he just can't keep up with the pace of FEL yet. Needs time to grow, preferably in A-jrs or Mestis

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
https://www.leijonat.com/2017/10/07...tehot-taysin-hukassa-romahtanut-nelosketjuun/
Ikonen has tough year in Kalpa.

Dropped to 4th line and gets only limited minutes in liiga games and only one assist in scoring stats.
http://liiga.fi/pelaajat/29554508/ikonen-joni/ottelu-ottelulta

World juniors will be big tournament for Ikonen ( if he makes in Finland's team).
If he plays with Vesalainen and Tolvanen i hope he can score good amount of points
and get more confidence in his scoring.

He has been getting more ice time lately since the CHL game,

10-4 (12:01)
10-5 (11:39)
10-7 (12:41)

Still not the 13+ minutes he got in 5 of the first 7 games if you count CHL + FNL but hopefully he can get going. I only saw a CHL and a FNL game and I thought he didn't look bad at all, small and skinny but he showed some things at times.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
To monitor Ikoen this year it will be interesting to compare him to his teammate Alexandre Texier, chosen 13 spots before Ikonen this year. Both are listed as centers, and have similar size, while Texier is six months younger than Ikonen. This year both have played 12 games in the Liiga, Texier has 3 goals 12:24 ice time and Ikonen one assist 10:00 ice time.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Why is this guy only playing so few minutes... Went he got move to Kalpa I expect that meant he was going to see more time and play a bigger role than he would have in the SHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad