Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He got decent 5 v 5 minutes in the first period, centering a line alongside team captain Tommi Jokinen. He's a bit behind the play at times but he's working hard. He does look tiny out there, he's got some major bulking up to do.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He got decent 5 v 5 minutes in the first period, centering a line alongside team captain Tommi Jokinen. He's a bit behind the play at times but he's working hard. He does look tiny out there, he's got some major bulking up to do.

He's got talent and that's what matters to me. Not worried about being behind the pro game or not being strong enough right now.

He has a couple years to get stronger. Lehkonen was too weak at first too.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
He's 18 y.o., right ? Give him time, for god sake !

That's why I said the next 2 years are important and we'll see if his game matures into a "pro" game.

He's got a lot of work to do and it's up to him. He clearly has skills, but that's not what will take him to the NHL. We'll see in 2 years and hope for the best...

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Lehknonen did 0.60 PPG in his post draft season for the same team. Will be fun to compare the two in their progression.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Lehknonen did 0.60 PPG in his post draft season for the same team. Will be fun to compare the two in their progression.

And it's exactly what everyone will do because there are similarities are almost uncanny.

Both Fins, both drafted around the same spot, both about the same size when drafted. Both we to Liiga to play pro hockey.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
And it's exactly what everyone will do because there are similarities are almost uncanny.

Both Fins, both drafted around the same spot, both about the same size when drafted. Both we to Liiga to play pro hockey.

IMHO Ikonen isn't quite in Lehkonens class. We were very fortunate to get Lehkonen who I recall had concussion concerns heading into the draft that thankfuly have subsided.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005

How 'bout comparing the way they play? That's a lot more relevant when comparing players, isn't it?

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
IMHO Ikonen isn't quite in Lehkonens class. We were very fortunate to get Lehkonen who I recall had concussion concerns heading into the draft that thankfuly have subsided.
Lehkonen was also hyped a few years before his draft. I remember creating him in NHL11 and NHL12 (and I generally only created top-15 or top-30 prospects at the time for the future drafts), so yeah, if he did have concussion issues that might have lowered his stock.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
No point for our boy today in a 1-0 lost to Tappara . He keeps getting around 13 minutes of ice time, which is just about what I was realistically hoping for, so all is fine there.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's obviously early but I'm not really expecting a Lehkonen type year from him. I really hope I'm wrong of course. I just don't like the question marks I seem to hear. AT the very least we'll need to be patient with him. I still think Poehling's the better prospect right now and has a better chance of panning out.
I hope I'm wrong there too because I think Poehling's pretty sure fire at least to make it. So if Ikonen could end up a better player then we'd be in great shape. I just don't agree with some who think Ikonen's the better prospect. More raw skill but I think the question marks are a bit of a concern.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It's obviously early but I'm not really expecting a Lehkonen type year from him. I really hope I'm wrong of course. I just don't like the question marks I seem to hear. AT the very least we'll need to be patient with him. I still think Poehling's the better prospect right now and has a better chance of panning out.
I hope I'm wrong there too because I think Poehling's pretty sure fire at least to make it. So if Ikonen could end up a better player then we'd be in great shape. I just don't agree with some who think Ikonen's the better prospect. More raw skill but I think the question marks are a bit of a concern.

There was tons of question marks with Lehkonen until he started producing and followed it up in the playoffs.

Some were giving up on him at the time. In any case, it's still very early for Ikonen. Lehkonen turned a corner in his D+3 season. Plenty of hockey to be played until that stage for Ikonen.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
There was tons of question marks with Lehkonen until he started producing and followed it up in the playoffs.

Some were giving up on him at the time. In any case, it's still very early for Ikonen. Lehkonen turned a corner in his D+3 season. Plenty of hockey to be played until that stage for Ikonen.

fair enough but Lehkonen had a really good first year of Liga if I'm not mistaken. Definitely not writing Ikonen off and it's way too early. Just a gut feeling that I can't shake that I hope I'm wrong about.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
fair enough but Lehkonen had a really good first year of Liga if I'm not mistaken. Definitely not writing Ikonen off and it's way too early. Just a gut feeling that I can't shake that I hope I'm wrong about.
Lehkonen scored 30 points as 17yo and was 2nd best scorer in his team. For example: Puljujärvi scored 28 pts in his draft -1 year.

Right now seems like Ikonen is not ready for Liiga. Not as a center anyway. I think they're gonna move him winger sooner than later and if that doesn't work out: send him to Mestis or back in Sweden.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Lehkonen had a higher ppg as a 17 year old then he did as an 18 year old but he had injury problems that year and then again the next year as a 19 year old in the SHL. Then he broke out the next year as a 20 year old.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if Ikonen has more offensive talent.

But Lehkonen seems to have an elite two way game and the work ethic.

It will be interesting to see what both are doing in 5 years. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Iknen becomes the better top six forward, offensively at least.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Our boy was kept off of the score sheet again today in a 3-1 loss against Karpat. He was used as a RW and was back to around 13 minutes of ice time. His team is off to something of a slow start offensively with 9 goals in 5 games, nobody is really standing out scoring wise.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The Habs need more 'konens'.

You are absolutely correct, especially center "Konens".

This kid was drafted at the end of the 2nd round so I will guess the statistics will say he had a 5-10% chance of becoming a top 6 center/player.

Poehling at back end of first maybe a 10-20% chance of being top 6?

If you already had top 6 centers of average NHL age you should be using a 1st and a 2nd every 2-3 years on a center to hopefully land one every 6-8 years or so given where we draft.

We need darts with the skill set to have that upside. Hand haven't thrown enough darts at that position over the years.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Most fans didn't expect a Lehkonen type year from Lehkonen! In fact. some fans were miffed because Hudon wasn't recalled instead. (Those fans said similar things about Byron relative to Hudon until Byron scored 22 goals--although not all of the Hudon boosters conceded the point even then.)

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Most fans didn't expect a Lehkonen type year from Lehkonen! In fact. some fans were miffed because Hudon wasn't recalled instead. (Those fans said similar things about Byron relative to Hudon until Byron scored 22 goals--although not all of the Hudon boosters conceded the point even then.)
After his PO where he dominated SHL in scoring at 20, it was obvious that this guy could play.

As for Hudon, year after year, he does perform.

Byron was a surprised for all of us.

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Our boy was kept off of the score sheet again today in a 3-1 loss against Karpat. He was used as a RW and was back to around 13 minutes of ice time. His team is off to something of a slow start offensively with 9 goals in 5 games, nobody is really standing out scoring wise.
Nobody is standing out scoring wise, but he played with Gymer and Luostarinen and they've been KalPa's best best forwards by far and Ikonen was once again completely invisible.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Nobody is standing out scoring wise, but he played with Gymer and Luostarinen and they've been KalPa's best best forwards by far and Ikonen was once again completely invisible.

Well, the team lost their top 4 forwards from last year so there's obviously going to be an adjustment period. Ikonen started the year on a line with Tommi Jokinen and I was really hoping they'd develop a little chemistry together but it hasn't been the case at all. Joni has been looking a bit slow and lost, always kinda behind the play. Coach Kapanen has continued to give him decent minutes though so at least there's that . I have good faith he'll get it going soon, he's too talented not to. If not, a stint with a Mestis team might be in order or with the Jr.A team, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad