Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hoping that KalPa can advance, as I'm sure it was a great experience for Lehkonen when he helped his team win the CHL last year. I know some don't care much for the tournament but any experience where a young player like Ikonen or Lehkonen can play against the top Euro teams aside from the KHL should be good experience for them before moving on to the NHL.

Flu and fever he's had. Won't play in the next game either most likely.

thanks, too bad as I was looking forward to watching the game.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
except one of his assets is being a great skater....

skating technique is good, he moves well but needs to get faster, what is easlily notoceable on the forecheck, he isnt strong enough on the puck.. I personally wouldnt be surprised to see him take some time to adjust to Pro level hockey..

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Flu and fever he's had. Won't play in the next game either most likely.

I can confirm he's not playing today. The game is about to start and he's not in the line-up.

Next time Kalpa plays any game is next Thursday for their 3rd Champions Hockey League game. Hopefully he'll be good to go for that one.

Edit: Kalpa lost 4-2. They were down 2-0 and tied it early in the 3rd. However, Kometa Brno scored two later in the frame and won the game. Kalpa missed out on a 4-minute power play when it was still 2-2. A few minutes later, after they squandered that opportunity, Brno scored to make it 3-2, and then made it 4-2 about 30 seconds later on a breakaway.

Last edited:

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
He looks quite tenacious, good backchecking. Also got his team a power play when an opposing player hooked him. I have a recording program ready if he does anything particularly nice :laugh:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Too bad his team got into penalty trouble in the first, it really cut on his minutes and it's the only period I have the time to watch today :cry: . Oh well, I saw him make a nice back checking effort, it's something.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He played a lot in the Liiga pre-season so this might be because he's not 100% back yet from his virus. We'll see, I don't expect him to get first line minutes all year but he has to be top 9 or else he's kinda wasting his development time.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I hope he's not 100% and they're slowly bringing him back because if not this is not looking good at all. I think he got like 4 shifts in that whole second period.

7:55 TOI after 2 periods 44% FO.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He played a lot in the Liiga pre-season so this might be because he's not 100% back yet from his virus. We'll see, I don't expect him to get first line minutes all year but he has to be top 9 or else he's kinda wasting his development time.

Disagree, he will learn all year what it takes to be a pro and what he needs to do to improve.. Im not expecting much offensively this year in the ligua, I see it as a long learning process, he has to get faster and bulk up.. On the other side he should be fun to watch next WJC..

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He ended up with a little over 13 minutes, which is decent for an 18 year old. Not great, but if it's the floor then he'll at least be in the mix for his team. We'll have to way and see how it goes in actual Liiga games .

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Ikon's coach from last year mentioned that he needs to work on his strength and his skating -- and dedicate himself to improving in those areas like Lehkonen did -- to be a full-time and long time NHLer in the future.

Love the skills. Need to see if the body fills out and if he's as tenacious as Lehkonen was.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Ikon's coach from last year mentioned that he needs to work on his strength and his skating -- and dedicate himself to improving in those areas like Lehkonen did -- to be a full-time and long time NHLer in the future.

And he is 100% right.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
He still plays a very junior game. Whether he takes his game to the pro level in the next 2 years will depend on him.

Don't see any similarities with Lekhonen except that they're both finnish.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Nothing going right for Kalpa again today, Malmo is up 6-2 with 10 minutes to go in the third. Ikonen's line has been mostly locked inside the defensive zone so he hasn't had much of a chance to shine.

Edit: Just as I'm writing that he's bumped to the second line and they almost score on a deflection .

Jul 6, 2016
paddy;135512211[B said:
]He still plays a very junior game.[/B] Whether he takes his game to the pro level in the next 2 years will depend on him.

Don't see any similarities with Lekhonen except that they're both finnish.

He's 18 y.o., right ? Give him time, for god sake !

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
SM Liiga's regular season starts tonight.
Joni Ikonen's team Kalpa travels to Mikkeli where they face local liiga team named Mikkelin Jukurit.

Rosters are published to SM liiga's website http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2017-2018/runkosarja/1/kokoonpanot/
Joni Ikonen is Kalpa's top line Center in tonight's game.

If Canadiens fans wants to follow Joni Ikonen's liiga games best way on that is to get ruutu+ liiga subscription.
Ruutu+liiga subscription costs 14,95 euros per month ( about 21,67 Canadian Dollars).

http://www.ruutu.fi/urheilu/sm-liig...tu_liiga_brandi_980x400_ct&utm_campaign=Liiga
Here you can bought ruutu+ liiga subscription

http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2017-2018/runkosarja/1/seuranta/
Live score update to Jukurit vs Kalpa game.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
SM Liiga's regular season starts tonight.
Joni Ikonen's team Kalpa travels to Mikkeli where they face local liiga team named Mikkelin Jukurit.

Rosters are published to SM liiga's website http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2017-2018/runkosarja/1/kokoonpanot/
Joni Ikonen is Kalpa's top line Center in tonight's game.

If Canadiens fans wants to follow Joni Ikonen's liiga games best way on that is to get ruutu+ liiga subscription.
Ruutu+liiga subscription costs 14,95 euros per month ( about 21,67 Canadian Dollars).

http://www.ruutu.fi/urheilu/sm-liig...tu_liiga_brandi_980x400_ct&utm_campaign=Liiga
Here you can bought ruutu+ liiga subscription

http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2017-2018/runkosarja/1/seuranta/
Live score update to Jukurit vs Kalpa game.

Kiitos !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad