GDT: #58 | New York Islanders @ Washington Capitals | February 4th | 7:30 pm | F/W 1-0

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
DeHann Hamonic
Hickey Visnovsky
Reinhart Strait

Good looking D for next season. If we get a goalie we could significantly improve our goal differential.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Great game last night, too bad many were in the Snow must go thread instead of watching the actual hockey game = )

Last edited:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
DeHann Hamonic
Hickey Visnovsky
Reinhart Strait

Good looking D for next season. If we get a goalie we could significantly improve our goal differential.
Not much difference from this year. Just plugging in another rookie that will struggle through the first half of the season. We need another big solid right shot veteran to round out the trop six.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Don't know if anyone saw me on tv but I was sitting in the first row on the nearside boards in the left end that the Capitals shot at twice wearing a navy blue Tavares jersey. Awesome game to be at. Not a high scoring affair but they got the win. Clutterbuck, Nielsen and de Haan were really impressive.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Don't know if anyone saw me on tv but I was sitting in the first row on the nearside boards in the left end that the Capitals shot at twice wearing a navy blue Tavares jersey. Awesome game to be at. Not a high scoring affair but they got the win. Clutterbuck and de Haan were really impressive.

Did not know that was you Hershey nice, I did see and I'm a fellow owner of blue JT jersey. :handclap:

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Not much difference from this year. Just plugging in another rookie that will struggle through the first half of the season. We need another big solid right shot veteran to round out the trop six.

Exactly , someone who gets it. I would love for Reinhart to step in and be great but its unreasonable to think he will do so. I would much rather have Reinhart be the first call-up when the inevitable injury happens. A good franchise should have 8 dmen capable of playing in the NHL during a season, injuries will happen. This year we have ~6, with 4 of them being bottom pair guys.

When Ness, Donovan, Carkner, and Martinek combine for 106 games its a recipe for failure.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Did not know that was you Hershey nice, I did see and I'm a fellow owner of blue JT jersey. :handclap:

Just watched the DVR of the game and saw myself about every 10 seconds, pretty damn cool. My buddy and I had awesome seats, doubt I'll ever see a game from somewhere like that again. There was actually a decent contingent of Isles fans there. Really impressed with the Verizon Center. It was the first time I was there and it was a great building. Kind of a depressing reminder of how other teams have facilities that are worlds beyond what this franchise has suffered through at the dilapidated Coliseum for years. Highly recommend heading there to see a game if you want to follow the Isles on the road or are in the area.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
DeHann Hamonic
Hickey Visnovsky
Reinhart Strait

And I will say that is an average looking d corps...one that is an injury away from being brutal...AGAIN.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just watched the DVR of the game and saw myself about every 10 seconds, pretty damn cool. My buddy and I had awesome seats, doubt I'll ever see a game from somewhere like that again. There was actually a decent contingent of Isles fans there. Really impressed with the Verizon Center. It was the first time I was there and it was a great building. Kind of a depressing reminder of how other teams have facilities that are worlds beyond what this franchise has suffered through at the dilapidated Coliseum for years. Highly recommend heading there to see a game if you want to follow the Isles on the road or are in the area.

Nice to know it's a good arena. I thought about getting tickets to the game at the last minute (I'm only an hour and a half away from DC), but decided against it. I'm looking forward to checking it out in the near future.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Nice to know it's a good arena. I thought about getting tickets to the game at the last minute (I'm only an hour and a half away from DC), but decided against it. I'm looking forward to checking it out in the near future.

Definitely do it. Can't say enough good things about Caps fans. Those people are a class act. I was wearing a Tavares jersey and my buddy was wearing a white away jersey and we had some great conversations with many really friendly people both on the concourses and in the seats. Not a single smartass remark from anyone.

I think you'll be surprised by the contingent of Islanders fans there. Saw plenty all over the place. Shared a lot of high fives and thumbs up on the way out.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
DeHann Hamonic
Hickey Visnovsky
Reinhart Strait

Honestly would love to take a shot at Girardi. I fore one take two things into account with our D core going into next season.

1) I don't think we should play any more rookies on the blue line unless they absolutely blow the door down and force our hand. Season the kids in the minors and allow them to get adjusted. No one is saying they couldn't be the first call up in case of emergency.

2) Tempered expectations. I don't trust Viz. The guy has an injury history an arm length long and is getting up there in age. I think we are on borrowed time with the guy already. That and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a sophomore slump from CDH.

Those two things combined leave me wanting to really go after more veteran stability to the blue line. Rangers fans are ill informed and very snobby. However, the smart ones will tell you. Mac Truck was able to develop nicely playing with a presence like Girardi.

Another defender I would like to look at is Nikita Nikitin. I don't know if the Blue Jackets let NN walk seeing as how the guy has been a big part of their success this year. Yet, someone I would def like on the Islanders.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Donovan has looked his best when paired with him and that's crazy that a rookie can shelter a rookie at the NHL level.

He seems more relaxed playing with De Haan, did they play as a pair in Bridgeport? I'm pretty impressed with De Haan's ability to step up too, reminds me of Hamonic a few years ago.

Thomas Vanek looks a lot like Matt Moulson in that NBC Sports graphic...

I loved that moment! My wife looked at it (and she doesn't pay much attention to the hockey) and recognised Matt Moulson too. You can tell we get on national TV a lot can't you! :sarcasm:

Favorite has to be "No Need To Vanek."

That pun is solid gold!:yo:

I was really disappointed we got a PP instead of a PS with Vanek and then the opposite with Grabner...it's like the refs know the Islanders strengths and weaknesses.:amazed:

The PP sucked like normal, need to get that sorted. Although the November slump didn't help I expect. Loved the shutout though, Nabby was great all night (amazing what he can do when rested eh? :sarcasm:) We need a few more wins like this to post a respectable finish to the season.

Point is we need to win with this group at some point.

Playing well for the rest of the season and perhaps sniffing the playoff race again will do much more for this team than drafting another high-ranked prospect who's 3 years away from contributing anything. I know that's sacrilege to say on the HF Boards where all prospects are fail safe, superstars, but that's the truth.

Agreed! :handclap: As far as I'm concerned Snow needs to start picking up players to plug gaps, not picks, over the next couple of months.

Good win!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad