Post-Game Talk: #58: FLYERS 6 at Panthers 2, Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart should start against TB, be a good test of whether he's ready to be the #1.

Hagg: CF 56.0%, xGF 82.63%, HDCF 83.33%

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
He has the occasional games that make you scratch your head but boy when he is really on his game he will make some eye popping near impossible saves.
Like any bona fide NHL regular goalie...he makes the eye popping saves. Just hoping he can make all the normal ones we expect...like ALL of them...and then some.

I think he has a bright Philly future too...we tend to turn on our goalies at the first sign of weakness, forever, boo. But homegrown kid Carter should hopefully have a looonnngg leash, people already love him, and want only the best of him. He'll need that long leash, and so will we all if we expect a homegrown goalie to actually impress us at every stage, and work through this team's cycle of Cup Winning ability, which is at a lowish ebb right now, not absent, but lowish. Claude is a wild card.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
giphy.gif

oKo4TkW.gif

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
In a playoff race And against the team you need to pass to get in. With marquee name players and a coach with multiple Stanley cups. All that and the building is half full at best with opposing team fans accounting for almost half the attendance.

Get this team out of the south and give Canada another team. These pet teams of bettmans in the southern us are not expanding the game, they are a drag on the salary cap we could be using.

to justify keeping teams like Arizona and Florida by saying it grows the fanbase, then not playing in the olympics when it’s in China’s time zone is the definition of hypocrisy. It’s comical that Bettman thinks getting booed is a badge of honor at this point. He’s from Queens. He has been commissioner for 27 years!!!!
There is no Gostisbehere or Auston Matthews without Florida and Arizona. Adding another team to Canada isn’t going to make Canada produce more NHL players. Now that the league is expanded to 32 teams more quality NHL players are going to have to be developed and that’s not going to happen in Canada.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hart should start against TB, be a good test of whether he's ready to be the #1.

Hagg: CF 56.0%, xGF 82.63%, HDCF 83.33%

Seems like a no brainer?

He was great tonight. Expected rust last game, but he was excellent last night.

shows how big depth is. Guys like Braun and JVR look really good and they can roll teams. I think a lot of us were correct to say they could have challenged for the division to start the year with Patrick and Lindblom.

Reactions: Curufinwe

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Why do you think it works in Tampa but not Ft Lauderdale/Miami? Because Tampa has won?
No, not really. Unlike the Miami area,Tampa has a larger local, non snowbird/senior population, especially inland. More young families and more folks born and bred locally and loyal to their local teams.

The hockey fans in the Miami area are mostly older retirees who are loyal to their teams up north. Sure they’ll draw a little better if they reached the final, everyone likes to see a winner, but it will have little effect on season ticket sales. They really should just bite the bullet and move the team to Quebec. Hell, they wouldn’t even have to change divisions.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
CBJ is raking up points by losing in overtime. That’s their NINTH loss of overtime, not including their shootout losses.

Wasn't that us a few years ago when we had the 10 game losing streak? I think we got 5 points out of those games which kept us afloat.

I got excited when I saw we were only 3 back of the Pens, then realized they had 3 games in hand and their next 2 are against MTL and DET.

Reactions: DaphneLion

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Wasn't that us a few years ago when we had the 10 game losing streak? I think we got 5 points out of those games which kept us afloat.

I got excited when I saw we were only 3 back of the Pens, then realized they had 3 games in hand and their next 2 are against MTL and DET.

It was the infamous 10 game losing streak that, you know, wasn't a 'losing' streak because it was 0-5-5.

Hex and Hak sure tried to polish that turd team they were trotting out on the ice every night. Then again, I think we made the playoffs that year.

Reactions: Rebels57

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I didn't think they could produce so much on the road with that lineup. Great result, even if it means Frosty probably goes back down soon.

I've been noticing the Hayes line getting caved at 5v5. Hayes has been a blackhole at 5v5 this year, which is curious, because it doesn't look like that was the case in previous years.

Whether his linemates are TK, Farabee, JVR, whomever, his line seems to stuck in mud.

Wasn't there one combination with Hayes that worked at one point? I feel like it was Laughton and Farabee, maybe?

Whatever the case, I get the feeling Hayes will be a wing way before the end of his contract.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I've been noticing the Hayes line getting caved at 5v5. Hayes has been a blackhole at 5v5 this year, which is curious, because it doesn't look like that was the case in previous years.

Whether his linemates are TK, Farabee, JVR, whomever, his line seems to stuck in mud.

Wasn't there one combination with Hayes that worked at one point? I feel like it was Laughton and Farabee, maybe?

Whatever the case, I get the feeling Hayes will be a wing way before the end of his contract.

He has done "okay" at 5v5 but just had some awful luck... goalies have saved nothing when he is on ice.

49.1% CF
49.3% ExGF

Was expecting quite a bit more than 1.24 5v5 P/60 though even with poor luck. Before this year he has been a monster 5v5 scorer.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
He has done "okay" at 5v5 but just had some awful luck... goalies have saved nothing when he is on ice.

49.1% CF
49.3% ExGF

Was expecting quite a bit more than 1.24 5v5 P/60 though even with poor luck. Before this year he has been a monster 5v5 scorer.

Yeah, it's curious. He has his career-worst on ice save %, and PDO.

At the same time, TK, Raffl, NAK, even Provorov have equally awful on ice save % but don't seem to get caved at 5v5.

Maybe Hagg needs to put on a "How I got a cool 106.9 PDO" clinic :)

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly

Ya, I think he was clicking for a short time with Farabee and Laughton. Pretty sure this is right before Oskar's diagnosis and TK getting hurt then everything got F'd.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
There is no Gostisbehere or Auston Matthews without Florida and Arizona. Adding another team to Canada isn’t going to make Canada produce more NHL players. Now that the league is expanded to 32 teams more quality NHL players are going to have to be developed and that’s not going to happen in Canada.

I agree with what you are saying in general. But I dont think adding a team in Seattle will move the needle a whole lot as I have heard there is already a decent hockey scene.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

I'm surprised at how often he ends up on the wrong side of the puck. Especially since he is known for his defensive work and has the most experience playing for AV.

I get the feeling he cheats a little knowing he can use his long reach and good skating for a player his size to get himself back into a lot of plays if he gets caught.

If you watch his in zone, off puck coverage he seems to often be giving up lanes for players to drive the net through or get open while he is trailing behind them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->