GDT: [#58] Dallas Stars at Carolina Hurricanes, 7:00 PM CST (FS-SW)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jim Nill better make some calls and moves before Tuesday's game against Nashville. Man we thought tonight was bad just wait until we play Nashville again and then St. Louis....we aren't winning those games unless we get a major shakeup over these next 2 days.

And then Carolina again late next week. A 5 game losing streak could be enough to doom this team. We need to make a move ASAP.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
That sucked but I thought L'Esperance had a decent game. Looks more dangerous and intelligent offensively than the Stars other depth guys.

Hintz was great too.

You know the team needs a shakeup when the broadcast can't stop talking about trades and the deadline coming up lmao

Reactions: Henderson33

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Radulov could be very easily moved, especially after the career-best year he had last year. His number this year aren’t bad, either, especially when Stars scoring is down across the board. Retain in Benn, and he’d get a small haul; cap hit wouldn’t matter in a rebuild. Mid-round in Spezza better than nothing. You could maybe talk me into keeping Lindell but he has value around the league and could possibly return a scoring winger. Fair enough on goalies, but someone would buy, especially on Khudobin as a backup.

Thanks for the cordial back-and-forth. :)

Hey man, I hope you're right, something big to happen and change the culture of the team would be huge. I just don't believe Jim Nill would be the person to do that. I'm also very pessimistic about this team in every way possible at the moment :laugh:

:cheers:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If Monty was fired tonight, I’d be fine with it. I’d also then be fine with some major roster shakeups. This team has a lot of quit in it.
Think at this point we need both, Quennville is still free, though i doubt he'd be willing to come here since we're likely to see a new Regime this summer.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Think at this point we need both, Quennville is still free, though i doubt he'd be willing to come here since we're likely to see a new Regime this summer.

I would make that trade every day. I also don't think Monty has been given a very good roster to work with, but Quenneville is on another level.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
And then Carolina again late next week. A 5 game losing streak could be enough to doom this team. We need to make a move ASAP.

If 1-3-1 on a crucial road trip doesn't trigger a move then I'm convinced nothing will (or it will just be way too late). Crazy how fast a collapse can happen and a team can fall out of the playoffs. Just recently we were on a 5 game win streak and feeling so confident about them and now look at us. Ridiculous. 3 of 10 points on this road trip...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Have the Stars scored more than 3 goals in a road game at any point this year ?

Edit : 3 times ( in Montreal , Brooklyn and in Denver )

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Hey man, I hope you're right, something big to happen and change the culture of the team would be huge. I just don't believe Jim Nill would be the person to do that. I'm also very pessimistic about this team in every way possible at the moment :laugh:

:cheers:
Oh, I agree there’s no way it would happen. I’ve come to the conclusion (right or wrong) that Nill is going to have a successful GM career, and I really hope he does, but his effectiveness here may be at its end. I think last season’s interference from ownership not only messed up his ‘plan’ in some big ways, but also made him overly-passive.

In the end, though, it’s just a game, right? :)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I would make that trade every day. I also don't think Monty has been given a very good roster to work with, but Quenneville is on another level.

I think Quenneville is not worth the money and control he commands. He has not exactly been doing himself any favors with the Hawks these last few years.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Quenneville is not worth the money and control he commands. He has not exactly been doing himself any favors with the Hawks these last few years.

I wouldn't disagree with that, who knows what would happen if he came to Dallas. But the guy has missed the playoffs twice in his entire career (and got fired this year, so three).

I'm just looking for a shakeup, and someone with his resume might wake some players up.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Well he's 2 years removed from a #1 finish in the division and conferencce but had to deal with Nill level of stupid roster management (like Saad for Panarin) and worse goaltending than Lehtonen and Neimi (due to injury to Crawford) provided us. All the while the team is tied to boat anchors like Seabrook.
Monty has some how made it so every player is having a career worst season at the same time

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If 1-3-1 on a crucial road trip doesn't trigger a move then I'm convinced nothing will (or it will just be way too late). Crazy how fast a collapse can happen and a team can fall out of the playoffs. Just recently we were on a 5 game win streak and feeling so confident about them and now look at us. Ridiculous. 3 of 10 points on this road trip...
I think it solidifies a move. Nill knows he’s getting fired if this team misses the playoffs.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well he's 2 years removed from a #1 finish in the division and conferencce but had to deal with Nill level of stupid roster management (like Saad for Panarin) and worse goaltending than Lehtonen and Neimi (due to injury to Crawford) provided us. All the while the team is tied to boat anchors like Seabrook.
Monty has some how made it so every player is having a career worst season at the same time

He was a huge part why the team has those boat anchors. He pushed to retain his favorites at any cost.

Quenneville had huge influence on roster decisions. It was in part why he was fired . The team needed to move on from some of Quennevilles favorite toys and he wasn't having any of it.

You may think you end up with an all-time great coach and while you do get that you also get Hitchock level stupidity on some level . Similar with Babcock or how you would with Sutter.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
A desperate GM needing to make a move? Sounds like a recipe for a Forsberg-Erat type deal.

Fortunately, we have nothing close to a Forsberg level prospect.

Erat is Kevin Hayes. Forsberg could be Robertson.

Although I still think Nill should be trying to add Hayes. He's a positive energetic sort of guy so he might enable them to have fun again.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'd see if Benn would waive and flip him to Col for Panarin, with or without an extension.
Get out of that Albatross, Worst case, you can take a run at the bevy of UFA wingers who will be available to replace him
best case, you get Panarin to sign and replace him and Run at Duchene in UFA.

Call up Tampa in the offseason when they'll have issues getting Point fit into the fold and try to get Johnson for cheapish

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I actually really like Hayes here, him and Zucc would be a great pair to pick up.

I'm not as big on Zucc because he's not going to be an instrument of a culture change. If the team hates coming to work so will he. But he's also generally positive and a great professional so if the price is right definitely get him in here.

Think Cogliano. He was also supposed to be influential but he's just not like that. He's professional but he's no alpha in the room.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
That sucked but I thought L'Esperance had a decent game. Looks more dangerous and intelligent offensively than the Stars other depth guys.

Good to hear. I was skeptical how his first game would play out hearing that he'll be centering the 4th line. But he ended up with 15:53 of icetime. Not too shabby. Coach must have had moderate trust in him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm not as big on Zucc because he's not going to be an instrument of a culture change. If the team hates coming to work so will he. But he's also generally positive and a great professional so if the price is right definitely get him in here.

Think Cogliano. He was also supposed to be influential but he's just not like that. He's professional but he's no alpha in the room.

I'm not sure who you think we could acquire that will be "an instrument of a culture change". The leadership of this team is set and isn't going to change anytime soon by the looks of it.

Adding more guys like Cogliano certainly can help. Zuccarello definitely fits that same description. He seems to be a very passionate and incredibly hard-working guy, definitely someone you want in your locker room and around your young players.

The culture change is going to have to be a lot deeper than simply adding a player or two. If that really is the problem, it begins with stripping Benn of the C.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I'm not sure who you think we could acquire that will be "an instrument of a culture change". The leadership of this team is set and isn't going to change anytime soon by the looks of it.

Adding more guys like Cogliano certainly can help. Zuccarello definitely fits that same description. He seems to be a very passionate and incredibly hard-working guy, definitely someone you want in your locker room and around your young players.

The culture change is going to have to be a lot deeper than simply adding a player or two. If that really is the problem, it begins with stripping Benn of the C.

I'd like to see a strong personality come in who can exert a calming influence on the group. It might even take multiple players. Zuccarello is a good add but he doesn't check all the boxes. Neither does Hayes. It's a challenging problem that management faces that requires taking a few gambles on the personalities of guys they've probably never met and how the team reacts to some changes.

I think if you find Benn the right help you won't need to strip his captaincy. That's a last resort and should probably coincide with trading him altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad