GDT: [#58] Dallas Stars at Carolina Hurricanes, 7:00 PM CST (FS-SW)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd like to see a strong personality come in who can exert a calming influence on the group. It might even take multiple players. Zuccarello is a good add but he doesn't check all the boxes. Neither does Hayes. It's a challenging problem that management faces that requires taking a few gambles on the personalities of guys they've probably never met and how the team reacts to some changes.

I think if you find Benn the right help you won't need to strip his captaincy. That's a last resort and should probably coincide with trading him altogether.

Can you list any examples of someone available who can do this?

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Can you list any examples of someone available who can do this?

I've said before I consider Hayes our best option. I don't know any players on a personal level though. Zuccarello is a good add but if he's the only move I don't think it's enough. My understanding of Hayes' personality is basic at best so it's a guess that's far from educated.

Panarin should not be remotely considered, and Duchene wouldn't be terrible but far from ideal. Then again, nothing you can say in the locker room will affect the team quite like making a play to score a goal, and Duchene can certainly do that. I think even if you were in the industry you'd have a hard time putting a list together like what you're asking with any confidence.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I've said before I consider Hayes our best option. I don't know any players on a personal level though. Zuccarello is a good add but if he's the only move I don't think it's enough. My understanding of Hayes' personality is basic at best so it's a guess that's far from educated.

Panarin should not be remotely considered, and Duchene wouldn't be terrible but far from ideal. Then again, nothing you can say in the locker room will affect the team quite like making a play to score a goal, and Duchene can certainly do that. I think even if you were in the industry you'd have a hard time putting a list together like what you're asking with any confidence.

If I’m not mistaken, Zuccarello is definitely a leader in the Rangers’ locker room. I don’t think anyone else available really fits the description.

I have no clue how Hayes does.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
If I’m not mistaken, Zuccarello is definitely a leader in the Rangers’ locker room. I don’t think anyone else available really fits the description.

I have no clue how Hayes does.

I would be okay with Dallas paying a decent amount to get Hayes and Zuccarello in the same deal. Unprotected 1st, no prospect off the table sort of price.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

This confuses me. What you're looking for is what Nill tried to do with Hanzal, Methot, and Comeau. This team lacks high end creative skill. It's an absolute blessing that a player of Panarin's caliber is available to us after missing out on guys like Tavares and Karlsson.

Panarin has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be in Columbus and he still shows up to player every game. Something our captain can't even do, who is paid significantly more at the moment.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
This confuses me. What you're looking for is what Nill tried to do with Hanzal, Methot, and Comeau. This team lacks high end creative skill. It's an absolute blessing that a player of Panarin's caliber is available to us after missing out on guys like Tavares and Karlsson.

Panarin has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be in Columbus and he still shows up to player every game. Something our captain can't even do, who is paid significantly more at the moment.

Methot maybe. Hanzal and Comeau are fringe personalities signed to fill defensive roles not to be team leaders. I still consider Methot to be one of Nill's smarter moves, but career threatening injuries are a bitch.

I would be all in for Panarin if I had any confidence he would re-sign here. But why throw assets away? It's not like CBJ want to trade him. They're a playoff team.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Methot maybe. Hanzal and Comeau are fringe personalities signed to fill defensive roles not to be team leaders. I still consider Methot to be one of Nill's smarter moves, but career threatening injuries are a *****.

I would be all in for Panarin if I had any confidence he would re-sign here. But why throw assets away? It's not like CBJ want to trade him. They're a playoff team.

I've been to probably 12 blue jackets games this year and their team is pretty sound top to bottom. They're going to lose Bobrovsky and Panarin which is going to hurt, but they will still have their identity. They're too young of a team to lose out like that for 1 run.

Dallas is also now desperate because of the extremely real possibility of missing the playoffs again. We're a prime candidate to overpay.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I've been to probably 12 blue jackets games this year and their team is pretty sound top to bottom. They're going to lose Bobrovsky and Panarin which is going to hurt, but they will still have their identity. They're too young of a team to lose out like that for 1 run.

Dallas is also now desperate because of the extremely real possibility of missing the playoffs again. We're a prime candidate to overpay.

The Jackets could put anyone in place of Panarin and Bobrovsky and be 100% fine. They aren't integral to that team's success. Sure, they'll struggle a bit, but they are built like the Jets, and those teams aren't falling apart in the next two or three years.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The Jackets could put anyone in place of Panarin and Bobrovsky and be 100% fine. They aren't integral to that team's success. Sure, they'll struggle a bit, but they are built like the Jets, and those teams aren't falling apart in the next two or three years.

Hmm so replacing someone like Panarin with someone like Nichushkin should be no big deal then right?

They'd absolutely feel the pain of losing Panarin and Bobrovsky. You don't lose your top scorer and by far your best player and your #1 goalie and not feel the effects of it.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
This might be the dumbest post I’ve ever read on this forum.

Holy ****ing ****

I think you've read dumber. And you're all a bunch of pedants, which is incredibly annoying.

Bobs has a .904 SV% this year, which clearly isn't helping them survive. Goalie numbers are 95% team oriented, though. But their PK has been decent, and Korpisalo's numbers aren't great either, so I'm not sure if its Bob and Korpisalo being bad, or some sort of systemic issue where only the most amazing shots aren't getting blocked.

Even with Panarin, their PP is considerably below average. Like, almost as horseshit as ours bad. Their PK is pretty good, which probably means that their backend is a little too heavily weighted toward defense than offense.

If you replaced Panarin with say, Mike Hoffman or Mark Stone, or Tarasenko, or Parise, or literally any of those good 2nd line forward guys, then they'll be fine as a club, which they can do. If you replaced Bobrovsky? Who the f*** knows, goalies are voodoo.

If you took my comment to mean, replace Panarin with Nichushkin and Bobrovsky with the ghost of Kari Lehtonen, then you're the dumbest thing on this forum.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think you've read dumber. And you're all a bunch of pedants, which is incredibly annoying.

Bobs has a .904 SV% this year, which clearly isn't helping them survive. Goalie numbers are 95% team oriented, though. But their PK has been decent, and Korpisalo's numbers aren't great either, so I'm not sure if its Bob and Korpisalo being bad, or some sort of systemic issue where only the most amazing shots aren't getting blocked.

Even with Panarin, their PP is considerably below average. Like, almost as horse**** as ours bad. Their PK is pretty good, which probably means that their backend is a little too heavily weighted toward defense than offense.

If you replaced Panarin with say, Mike Hoffman or Mark Stone, or Tarasenko, or Parise, or literally any of those good 2nd line forward guys, then they'll be fine as a club, which they can do. If you replaced Bobrovsky? Who the **** knows, goalies are voodoo.

If you took my comment to mean, replace Panarin with Nichushkin and Bobrovsky with the ghost of Kari Lehtonen, then you're the dumbest thing on this forum.

so what you're saying is if you replaced Panarin with an equal player (e.g., Stone or Tarasenko) they'd still be fine???

thanks for the helpful tip

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Even with Panarin, their PP is considerably below average. Like, almost as horse**** as ours bad. Their PK is pretty good, which probably means that their backend is a little too heavily weighted toward defense than offense.

If you replaced Panarin with say, Mike Hoffman or Mark Stone, or Tarasenko, or Parise, or literally any of those good 2nd line forward guys, then they'll be fine as a club, which they can do. If you replaced Bobrovsky? Who the **** knows, goalies are voodoo.

Oh so "anyone"=elite top 6 player.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Ah, the pedantry is kicking in even faster. I'm glad the quality of posting around here seems to be #horseshit too.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Ah, the pedantry is kicking in even faster. I'm glad the quality of posting around here seems to be #horse**** too.

You post a vague, general statement that quickly gets picked apart, and instead of realizing that, you just accuse everyone of being pedants instead?

Reactions: Kcb12345

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You guys are clearly taking what he/she said way too literal.
They have a good team without Panarin and Bobrovski.
Sure the forwards up front outside of Atkinson and PLD don't scream elite or anything but from top to bottom that team is solid.
Losing Panarin and Bobrovski would hurt them obviously, especially if bobrovski was playing to his norm,
but they could lose both and still be a playoff team.

They are a far cry from Dallas where without Seguin and Bishop, we're firmly locking up a lotto pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->