#57's top 150 + Sleepers

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Ruzicka plays in the Czech's U20 league, put up some nice numbers over there this year. He skates very well and has a very nice 6'1 196lbs frame. He's got soft hands, is good along the boards and is responsible defensively. I could see him developp into a very good 2nd liner in the future.

i have heard he is a boom or bust prospect who is not very good along the boards and poor defensively :dunno:

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
No way is Esposito going 16. Some team will roll the dice before then because of his massive upside. Only a year ago he was rated #1. As for the habs I think they should go after more offense. Although they have decent prospects none of them will end up playing on the first line and thats what the habs need. They havent drafted a real star now since Koivu which was what 13 or 14 years ago?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
No way is Esposito going 16. Some team will roll the dice before then because of his massive upside. Only a year ago he was rated #1. As for the habs I think they should go after more offense. Although they have decent prospects none of them will end up playing on the first line and thats what the habs need. They havent drafted a real star now since Koivu which was what 13 or 14 years ago?

carey price has star potential, markov isnt to bad either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would be surprised if he isnt picked up in the first round. He could go as high as 15 IMO. A tall, righthanded shooting dman with offensive skills who has the frame to grow into is not easily come by.

Plante is a guy who looks great on paper - size, offensive stats, high PIM - but not so much on the ice ... so of course he gets listed way higher than he should in rankings like this. Doesn't matter quite so much if you're big and can play the PP in junior if your skating is clunky and your defensive reads are iffy. See Biron, Mathieu.

He's a worthwhile prospect - I'd have him early 2nd round, probably - but to see him go top-15 would really surprise me. Comparisons to Kurtis Foster are pretty apt.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Roman Schlagenhauf (2007), C/LW

Thanks for the reports, I'll keep an eye on him. Definitely looks like a sleeper to me.

i have heard he is a boom or bust prospect who is not very good along the boards and poor defensively :dunno:

We all hear different stuff about those european prospects. :sarcasm:

I've seen him play once and liked his play along the boards, and thought he was okay defensively, he also looked good in the offensive zone. - So that's my impression of him after one game. He's been ranked early 2nd by pretty much everyone, so I guess he's a good prospect regardless. Boom or bust? I doubt it.

Dwight King?

Like I said, and like everyone knows, this draft is WIDE OPEN. King is ranked just a bit outside of my top 150, doesn't mean I think he won't be drafted. It's just about who you like the most, who you dislike. And I just don't happen to think Dwight is worthy of a top 150 selection. We'll see in 10 years if I was right I guess.

Yes, but I just think Esposito is the 16th best prospect eligible for this draft, doesn't mean I think he'll go 16th overall. I actually happen to think the Habs will draft him, atleast I hope, because just like you, I feel like we need a potential superstar, not another 2nd liner. He's well worth the risk, IMO.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Where do people have Dustin Jeffery ranked? He had a pretty strong season and is a 2nd year eligable player.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
why do you rank him at 79? it is because you hate him? cuz i see him being drafted between 30 and 40.

i dont think he ranks them based on where he thinks they will be picked. he ranks them based on how good he thinks they will become. he posted a ranking, not a mock draft:)

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
White plays in the USHL for Tri City. Hes a pretty complete player, skates well, nice wrist shot, nice defensive game, nice size and isnt afraid of traffic. He's a competitor and has been rising lately and I really like his all-around game.

Pacioretty I havnt seen much of, he plays in the USHL too and is a great offensive player, but also plays a good two-way game. White and him are still far from the NHL, but they have 1st line potential and are actually pretty safe bets to make it IMO.

Ruzicka plays in the Czech's U20 league, put up some nice numbers over there this year. He skates very well and has a very nice 6'1 196lbs frame. He's got soft hands, is good along the boards and is responsible defensively. I could see him developp into a very good 2nd liner in the future.

TJ Brennan is a riser, one of the top rookies in the Q this season. He's great all-around, and his offensive game is very good. He has a nice first pass and rarely makes mistakes. He'll have to improve his strenght, but I have no doubt he'll be a top-4 blueliner someday for an NHL team.

MacMillan exploded in the playoffs for Halifax with Voracek. He's well-known for his defensive game, but he showed he could produce offensively if put on a line with an offensive player. He could be a pretty good, two-way 2nd liner in the future, but more realistically one of the league's best 3rd liner. Think a John Madden type of guy.

Someone just posted an article on Riley Nash

Brett MacLean is a guy who has fallen a bit lately. He did well for Oshawa but played most of his time on the 2nd line (the top checking units where against the 1st and Tavares) and played on the PP with Tavares. I dont really like his skating, but he's got soft hands and is a dangerous player offensively.

Yeah, I realized a little while I go we had the same kind of opinions!

Petrecki I think isn't good enough for the new NHL - think Adam Foote. I'm sure you know enough about him to judge him though. As for Sutter, I think he could become a good NHL player, but I just think there are better prosects available at the tailend of the 1st.

Kytnar shined at the U18 and had some nice stats in the Slovak's Div I playing against men. Maybe he's too high but I just fell in love with him at the U18. For most of you guys he'd be a sleeper, but I just happen to think he's the next big Slovakian offensive star. I really like his offensive game, and he already has the size to compete. Watch out for him.

As for Seleznev, I actually don't really know a lot about him - I dont even know his style of play - never saw him, but I read something about him that made me think he had a lot of potential. He said he really wanted to come to N-A and play in the NHL, and that he was willing to do anything to get to his goal. I also heard he was a pretty smooth skater, and that he had a nasty side to his game.

Brett Maclean played on the first line with Tavares all year long. As for fallen a bit lately ...I don't know ....the results I've seen are mixed. This analysis makes me question the accuracy of the rest of your post.

colman

Jul 7, 2006
I like that you have Carter Camper and James Marcou on your list for sleepers,but they outscored everyone in the ushl thats draft eligible.Marcou was 18 pts ahead of Turnbull and in the playoffs is way ahead of him.#3 overall in playoffs tied for first in goals,Camper didnt have a good playoff

Bégin is the bestest*

i dont think he ranks them based on where he thinks they will be picked. he ranks them based on how good he thinks they will become. he posted a ranking, not a mock draft:)

ok understand, but this guy has good offensive skills, if he learns how to play more physically he'll be a really good player.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Thanks a lot for all the responses 57, I have a couple other guys I'd really like to get some info on if you don't mind.

Kevin Marshall
TJ Galiardi
John Negrin
Eric Doyle
Akim Aliu
Will Weber
Stefan Legein
Brendan Smith

Any info you can provide is much appreciated, thanks again.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Brett Maclean played on the first line with Tavares all year long. As for fallen a bit lately ...I don't know ....the results I've seen are mixed. This analysis makes me question the accuracy of the rest of your post.

Well yeah, sorry, slight mistake on my part, but I don't think that means I'm just shooting bullshnit at everyone. I just didn't see all of Oshawa's games, unlike you it seems, so I'm sorry if I offended you.

As for him playing on the first line, that most be why he has fell a bit lately.. I'm sure someone will still take a chance on him in the first round though.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Thanks a lot for all the responses 57, I have a couple other guys I'd really like to get some info on if you don't mind.

Kevin Marshall
TJ Galiardi
John Negrin
Eric Doyle
Akim Aliu
Will Weber
Stefan Legein
Brendan Smith

Any info you can provide is much appreciated, thanks again.

Stefan Legein is one player I've seen numerous times. Plays for the Sauga Ice Dogs and really broke out this season. His skating is his best asset, IMO, as he was voted as the best skater by coaches in the OHL, I think. Rightfully so, because in all the games he played he was by far the best skater on either of the teams. He's a solid two-way player as well, but also possesses the scoring touch as evident by his performance this year scoring 43 goals.

Leafs scouts were seen various times this year watching the Dogs play and anyone with even a single brain cell would think they were scouting Legein. I will not be surprised if they moved up from the second rounder to select this local kid. He reminds me a lot of Chris Kunitz of Anaheim Ducks.

jeff88_5

May 24, 2007
I got a question:

If Jakub Kindl, Taylor Chorney and Kris Russel were available in the 2007 draft, where would you rank them?

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
If a certain question may be asked. Now I have make a sort of informal study of LWR's available in '07 draft particularly late round types. I would like to see where they go in draft and for certain situations. On your list I see no Ben Winnet or Dimitry Tsyganov. Yet as a sleeper I see Igor Musatov (who NHL draft guide has as LWR, but also been listed as LWL in certain places). Are you familiar with 1st 2 players and where do these 3 stack up?

jeff88_5

May 24, 2007
Not the answer I expected....

I just want to know that because I expect to draft them in a league. It will also give me an idea of the draft potential...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad