Post-Game Talk: #57 - 02/14/20 | Rangers @ Blue Jacket

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
This team is going to **** around and not sell at the deadline, setting the team back for years lol

that might be the fan reaction but JG & JD have yet to do a single thing that even hints toward them wavering from the plan. last year we spent the whole year debating whether or not to sign or trade hayes and zuke and JG never considered it for even half a second.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I'm breaking my word about staying away from this board til the trade deadline. I can't take all the trade speculation. But I will make this one exception, to congratulate this team on winning a very tough road trip. When they play like this, they are very hard to beat. They have been playing very strong defensively.

Love the comment from Quinn after the game when asked about the goalie situation. He said,... We are 10-5 with 3 goalies, so I'm thinking about bringing a 4th one up,.. to see how that works out. LOL

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
*cough* Eric Staal trade *cough*
Staal has been very good since signing with the Wild...clearly he still had plenty left in the tank. I don't know what happened with us (probably AV), but I don't think he was a bad target. It just didn't go as planned. Obviously not a great trade, but not one I'd give Gorton too much shit for.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Staal has been very good since signing with the Wild...clearly he still had plenty left in the tank. I don't know what happened with us (probably AV), but I don't think he was a bad target. It just didn't go as planned. Obviously not a great trade, but not one I'd give Gorton too much **** for.
well at the time Saarela was like our 3rd best prospect so ppl took it hard.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
that might be the fan reaction but JG & JD have yet to do a single thing that even hints toward them wavering from the plan. last year we spent the whole year debating whether or not to sign or trade hayes and zuke and JG never considered it for even half a second.
We are a 10-1 shot in making the playoffs. And probably 20-1 that we resign Kreider. And watching him lately, it will be hard to see him go,... along with any chance we had in making the post season.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
If they trade Kreider we better be getting a close to NHL ready player back. We might not have the luxury of waiting 3-4 years until some late first rounder makes any kind of impact.

We're stacked on D and our forward depth, while not the greatest, is still pretty damn good. Whatever we lack in that regard will be made up by the Tsar in net

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Staal has been very good since signing with the Wild...clearly he still had plenty left in the tank. I don't know what happened with us (probably AV), but I don't think he was a bad target. It just didn't go as planned. Obviously not a great trade, but not one I'd give Gorton too much **** for.

AV-itis/that team just didn't have the magic that year/we were positioned to face the Penguins in round 1 for awhile and it was obvious from like Christmas on they were winning the Cup. It was a horrible read by Gorton, made even worse by the fact AV misused him. Speaking of AV and players he misused, Yandle probably should have been traded at that deadline, let alone us actually being buyers.

MADE EVEN worse by the fact that these guys went right back to being elite producers as soon as they left the Rangers in typical Rangers fashion.

Damn things were looking bad after we got our doors blown off by Pittsburgh. We had the worst prospect pool in hockey and an aging core locked into expensive contracts facing into the abyss of cap hell.

Gorts got right back on the horse and made his finest move yet trading for Zibanejad.

And then followed that up with a bizarre start to the 2017 offseason. That whole week surrounding the expansion draft, the Stepan trade, the draft and free agency was a crazy time on this board. There were rumors of the Stepan trade leading up to the expansion draft freeze and a lot of posters here were convinced we were getting one of Strome or Keller. Then we reached for Lias, then we took Chytil when nobody even knew who he was, then we signed Shattenkirk. And on top of that we were all furious with AV for his horrible personnel decisions that cost us the Ottawa series and wanted, no needed him fired. There was a strong movement to kickstart the rebuild too and the Stepan trade was encouraging with the hope McDonagh, Nash, Zucc, Hayes, etc. were right behind him on the way out only to make a win now move in signing Shatty.

All this to say it's hard to believe that was ONLY 3-4 years ago and it's been a very impressive turnaround.

Last edited:

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England

The last two games and especially last night's grind it out late winner has made me think more about TDL deals. Someone on the trade board posted the players over the last 10 years drafted with picks received for rentals. They're pretty mediocre. The issue with Kreider is the cost because with his physical assets and shot, he will still be able to produce for another 4-5 years or at least half of a 7 year deal. Is the cap going to go up so that in the latter half of his contract it's OK to pay that much for a third line vet?

With Georgiev, the return is going to be even more dismal. The only rationale is to keep Lundquist happy because we're going to get scraps in return who probably will never make any contribution to the team. Compare that to a tandem of Shestyorkin/Georgiev for the next decade when this team should have a decent run or two at the Cup.

If there is any way to keep Kreider and Georgiev from the cap and Lundquist perspective, then I would.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The last two games and especially last night's grind it out late winner has made me think more about TDL deals. Someone on the trade board posted the players over the last 10 years drafted with picks received for rentals. They're pretty mediocre. The issue with Kreider is the cost because with his physical assets and shot, he will still be able to produce for another 4-5 years or at least half of a 7 year deal. Is the cap going to go up so that in the latter half of his contract it's OK to pay that much for a third line vet?

With Georgiev, the return is going to be even more dismal. The only rationale is to keep Lundquist happy because we're going to get scraps in return who probably will never make any contribution to the team. Compare that to a tandem of Shestyorkin/Georgiev for the next decade when this team should have a decent run or two at the Cup.

If there is any way to keep Kreider and Georgiev from the cap and Lundquist perspective, then I would.

a kreider trade is more about whether or not you want to commit that kind of money and years to keep him then the return in a trade...if you aren't going to sign him you have to get something back

Reactions: jas

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Ppl were arguing Hank is better than Georgiev right now, head in the sand smdh
And Hank is going hall of fame now. Even with no more wins, no cup, nothing more.

It’s the hockey hall of fame. His international record matters, not just NHL. He’s an all time great.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
And Hank is going hall of fame now. Even with no more wins, no cup, nothing more.

It’s the hockey hall of fame. His international record matters, not just NHL. He’s an all time great.
No need to get defensive, nobody on this board would dream or arguing that. Past results and records however, are unfortunately irrelevant to current play of which he has shown to be our 3rd best goalie based on a limited sample size. It is what it is. Team has to move forward which Hank understands.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
N
No need to get defensive, nobody on this board would dream or arguing that. Past results and records however, are unfortunately irrelevant to current play of which he has shown to be our 3rd best goalie based on a limited sample size. It is what it is. Team has to move forward which Hank understands.
Not defensive. But there were and have been posts suggesting that he’s missing out on wins to lock up his HoF spot. He’s not missing anything to keep him out. He’s a lock.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I don’t agree on Lundqvist. I don’t think the only reason to keep him is appeasement. I think he has a lot to offer an up-and-coming-team and young goalie. That said, his cap hit does indeed appear to be a legit issue.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

A Shesterkin/Georgiev tandem will last at most 5 years. Smart money would be on 2. No way will it be the next decade.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
A Shesterkin/Georgiev tandem will last at most 5 years. Smart money would be on 2. No way will it be the next decade.
This is a good point. And another reason why I’d prefer they move G. In addition to - in my opinion - Henrik still has more left to offer and G should get a shot at being the number one guy somewhere (ideally out west).
Even if we keep G I don’t see it as something the team would be able to maintain for all that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->