GDT: [#56] Stars @ Hawks - The end of the road, 7pm CT (BSSW+, NBCSN)

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Last one of the season.
giphy.gif

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Gonna be weird not having any hockey to watch for months after the long playoffs and short offseason between last season and this one.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Glad they won, nice game to end off on. Especially cause Heiskanen and JRob had multi point nights :)

My thoughts exactly.

It sucks but they're just a few mistakes from being a playoff team this year.

Couple that with missing two top-line, PPG forwards, a Vezina caliber goalie, having our top 3 defenders all underachieve significantly for varying (mostly injury-related) reasons, various other injuries, and one of the most miserable schedules an NHL team has had in years - it's not the worst thing.

With all of that and the power in our division it was unlikely we would make much noise in the playoffs anyway.

I also tend to enjoy playoff hockey a lot more when Dallas doesn't make it, so that'll be nice at least.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kivi played half the games of the majority of the roster and still has more points than a big part of the roster and is pretty close to Dickinson , Faksa , Comeau and a few others. Same with Radulov with his 12 points in 11 games and he still outscored most of the bottom 6 forwards.

Honestly looking at the scoring numbers on the team. I don't think any skater on the roster really underperformed all that much ( some overperformated ) they've just missed 3 top 9 players for most of the year and the goaltending was pretty meh.

If the Stars had even remotely similar goaltending to what Nashville got out of Saros this year they easily make it.

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Kivi played half the games of the majority of the roster and still has more points than a big part of the roster and is pretty close to Dickinson , Faksa , Comeau and a few others. Same with Radulov with his 12 points in 11 games and he still outscored most of the bottom 6 forwards.

Honestly looking at the scoring numbers on the team. I don't think any skater on the roster really underperformed all that much ( some overperformated ) they've just missed 3 top 9 players for most of the year and the goaltending was pretty meh.

If the Stars had even remotely similar goaltending to what Nashville got out of Saros this year they easily make it.
Even if they just had a healthy bishop , we would have won atleast a few of those ot/shootouts .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Even if they just had a healthy bishop , we would have won atleast a few of those ot/shootouts .

Bishop was allways pretty bad in shootouts from what i remember. But the goaltending numbers in general just don't get it done. 0.911 and 0.905 . Goals against aren't even bad but when it mattered they didn't get the big saves they needed this year. Oettinger was as good as they team could hope for a young guy who zero experience but Khudobin was just not good enough.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Bishop was allways pretty bad in shootouts from what i remember. But the goaltending numbers in general just don't get it done. 0.911 and 0.905 . Goals against aren't even bad but when it mattered they didn't get the big saves they needed this year. Oettinger was as good as they team could hope for a young guy who zero experience but Khudobin was just not good enough.
He was def better than what we got from khudobin and otter in the shootouts . One thing he’s good at is breakaways in general , which we didn’t get many saves on .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Fun game to watch. Bears out Razor's old saying of "never leave a hockey game." Pretty impressive to win after going down 2-0 in the first minutes. Yes, it was the similarly unmotivated Hawks, and less talented (on D) to boot. But, impressed me nonetheless.

See you next year!

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
More players like Kiviranta, Dickinson and Comeau and less players like Cogliano, Kero, Dowling, Gardner, L'Esperance thank you.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I'm not saying they are alike, I am saying they are capable NHL bottom 6 players. The others are not.
I’m not a fan of comeau anymore . He hits and has a few good cycles here and there but doesn’t bring much to the table anymore . The bottom six needs more guys who can jump into a top 6 role and produce when theres injuries . Kiviranta and Dickinson are perfect guys for that . Not saying we don’t need the grit in the bottom six but there is no place for guys who don’t have any skill in today’s nhl .

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Getting more skill in the bottom 6 is a wonderful ideal, but I'm not sure there's enough skilled forwards in the league to make it possible right now. I've skimmed through quite a few GDTs throughout the season as I've surfed other teams' games, and it's pretty much a universal complaint that there are too many plugs in the bottom 6 and more skilled forward depth is needed.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Kiviranta-Faksa-Gury
X-X-Comeau

I don't care who rounds out the bottom but that should be your new checking line. Sign vets whatever. Let the third line eat. #freefaksa

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Those are more the result of the Stars being very good at suppressing shots. Tied for second best in the league.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Kiviranta-Faksa-Gury
X-X-Comeau

I don't care who rounds out the bottom but that should be your new checking line. Sign vets whatever. Let the third line eat. #freefaksa

Kivi is probably responsible for checking line duty, but Guri? Bones lost trust in him this year, especially after that OT giveaway. I see Guri as one of those guys who is wasted on a checking line.

If not gone to Kraken, Dickey has some potential on that line. It seems he replaced Faksa the last few games between Cogs and Comeau, for some reason. Probably a test to see if production went up or down.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Kivi is probably responsible for checking line duty, but Guri? Bones lost trust in him this year, especially after that OT giveaway. I see Guri as one of those guys who is wasted on a checking line.

If not gone to Kraken, Dickey has some potential on that line. It seems he replaced Faksa the last few games between Cogs and Comeau, for some reason. Probably a test to see if production went up or down.
If all forwards are healthy, someone has to get demoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad