Post-Game Talk: #56 Penguins at FLYERS, Monday, Feb. 11, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Malkin: “But after my fine, can I get back on the ice swinging sticks at my opponents?”

Parros: (nodding exaggeratedly and pointing at tape recorder): “Absolutely not.”

Malkin: (stifling laughter) “Oh yeah, that would be wrong.”

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Way late, and the Flyers were due for a loss, but gosh darn, to the f***ing Pens? When the Flyers actually played a good game (majorly)? Bah humbug, trade the tradeable players and lets move to the off season. The playoffs were a pipe dream, and I'll be more pissed if they get curb stomped again, than if we just end up not qualifying.

Only game question, why was TK demoted to the 4th line, replaced by a combo of Laughton and Raffl (lots of line juggling going on last night).

2nd question not asked- why can't we have nice things?

3rd question no need to utter- anyone watching the NBCSN Philly feed get a huge chuckle out of Jimmy and Jones cracking that the outdoor game will have a larger demand and more relevance than just a few weeks/month ago? Hilarious, unintentional comedy, understatement of the year most likely. How much would those tix costs if Hexy and Hak were still here with the status quo (no Hart).

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The terrible quick whistle aside, the Flyers got no puck luck last night. Some pucks were there to be had on rebounds from Murray but we just could not find a way to get inside to get those rebounds. They still did a lot of good things last night and yeah it sucks to lose to Pittsburgh, but they were overdue.
Just get back at it tonight. Hopefully they have enough energy tonight because they really seem to empty the tank last night.
As mentioned many times, Gordon deserves some pretty good heat the way he handled the last 5 minutes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just took a few more looks at the Bjugstad goal from last night. Another comedy of errors. Sanheim made a poor decision to step up on Kessel in the neutral zone, who easily played it forward to Malkin. Giroux was backchecking and should have pickef up Bjugstad since Provy was closer to Malkin. Instead G shaded over towards Malkin and was very lackluster in his effort. This created that mini 2 v 1 with Malkin and Bjugstad vs Provorov. Malkin screened Hart quite a bit and Provy may have changed the shots direction when he attempted to stickcheck.

TLDR: Sanheim and Giroux cost us that 2nd goal against.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Watching last night, I had no thoughts that Flyers were winning any important aspect of the game.

Penguins shut down many of the best scoring chances by tying up bodies and sticks, and letting no rebound or similar attempt even get made.
Flyers were suffocated by Penguins ozone forecheck at will, with defense ofteny throwing it into no-man's land on the boards with nothing but hopes.
Flyers PP? if you're not a confident enough NHL player to simply hold onto the puck when pressure is approaching you, instead of whipping it around the boards to the other side, then maybe you need to try harder. Dee and forwards on Flyers are at least in synch on this...they both do it with no hesitation, and if it is the answer to something.

Flyers did pile on a lot of shots, but they did not seem very good to me, and they missed so many more than they registered.

Incorrect to call this one of Philly's best games of the season, no way. I see it as a very straightforward, higher stakes game with a division rival where they just did not bring nearly enough to compete.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
In a lot of ways, the Pens did to the Flyers what the Flyers had been doing to other teams --allowing low-percentage perimeter shots while not allowing anything up the middle. Seems to be deliberate strategy, as evidenced by what Letang said. Also, the Pens added a lot of size with the Brassard trade and did a good job of clogging up the middle of the ice. That said, the Flyers had plenty of good chances that they just didn't capitalize on -- Lindblom could have easily had a hat trick; PP2 created a ton of chances even discounting the quick whistle goal.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad