5̶5̶ 61 years ago - February 13, 1960

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
55 years ago today I went to my first Bruins game with my Dad.

evUHoGF.png

I was 9 years old and my Dad told me to watch #9 in white as he was the greatest player he had ever seen. The memories are still vivid of that day. We sat in Section 44 of the Stadium behind a goal ( $2.50 ) and my love affair with the team began. Little did I know I would not see a playoff game for eight years.

I was there when Bobby scored 'The Goal' and the next year I was at all 7 games against Montreal. The following year I paid a scalper $20 ( big money then ) to see the Bruins win the Cup at home in Game 5 vs NYR but it wasn't meant to be.

I was there when the Philadelphia Flyers won their first ever game at the Garden in 1975 and it wound up costing us the Cup.

I was at the Forum for the too many men game in 1979 and to this day I have no idea how 2 drunk and heartsick Bruins fans made it back to Boston driving through the mountains in the middle of the night. Brad Park's Game 7 OT goal against Buffalo in 1983 was a thrill.

I was there the night the lights went out in 1988 and 2 years later the heartbreak of the 3 OT loss to Edmonton.

But the best night of all was June 15, 2011. It made the 39 long years worth it.

I can say with all honesty that I owe my life to the Bruins as my parents met for the first time in the Second Balcony in the 1930's and started dating.

I am proud to be a Bruins fan.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That's a really cool memory.

I know my first game was a weeknight vs. Chicago, somewhere around 1978-1980.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Haha I was 2 years old and my brother was 2 weeks old...
I wish all of the games going back to the 20's could've had the kind of
broadcast quality so that we could go back and watch them.
I was ten when I first started watching, would love to be able to watch every game that
I missed until then.
Great Read!:yo:

Last edited:

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
That's really cool. My dad got me into the B's as well, took me to the Garden for a B's/Kings game in 1970. I was 10. Espo was my favorite player.

I return the favor now by bringing my 83 year old Dad to one or two games in the spring.

The Last Baron*

Love the story!

Its crazy how much the Bruins can play a part in one's life as a fan.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
55 years ago today I went to my first Bruins game with my Dad.

10965130_10205101061498888_62839866_o.jpg

I was 9 years old and my Dad told me to watch #9 in white as he was the greatest player he had ever seen. The memories are still vivid of that day. We sat in Section 44 of the Stadium behind a goal ( $2.50 ) and my love affair with the team began. Little did I know I would not see a playoff game for eight years.

I was there when Bobby scored 'The Goal' and the next year I was at all 7 games against Montreal. The following year I paid a scalper $20 ( big money then ) to see the Bruins win the Cup at home in Game 5 vs NYR but it wasn't meant to be.

I was there when the Philadelphia Flyers won their first ever game at the Garden in 1975 and it wound up costing us the Cup.

I was at the Forum for the too many men game in 1979 and to this day I have no idea how 2 drunk and heartsick Bruins fans made it back to Boston driving through the mountains in the middle of the night. Brad Park's Game 7 OT goal against Buffalo in 1983 was a thrill.

I was there the night the lights went out in 1988 and 2 years later the heartbreak of the 3 OT loss to Edmonton.

But the best night of all was June 15, 2011. It made the 39 long years worth it.

I can say with all honesty that I owe my life to the Bruins as my parents met for the first time in the Second Balcony in the 1930's and started dating.

I am proud to be a Bruins fan.

If you watch the celebration video you'll see a redheaded kid and his pal chasing Bucyk around the ice. They bought tickets with counterfeit money before the game. He's now a Boston Police Lt Detective.

Reactions: rfournier103

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thanks Fenway. Brought back GREAT memory for me. My first game was in '68 when i was 10.

Also with my. dad. Year before he brought me to. Fenway for the first time.

Two things i'll vividly remember my lifetime. Walking upthose ramps and then seeing the Gahden ice and Fenway grass for the very first time.

Thanks again.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I need to ask my dad when his first game was...hes 85...but I remember my first being a Devils-Habs game in 94-95 when I was around 9-10 years old.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Great stuff.

You've been around, for sure.

My Mom ( who was born in 1907 ) told me she dated Eddie Shore before she met my Dad. She was 43 when I was born which was unusual for 1950.

My Dad died when I was 15 (1966) but by Mom loved sports but was also stubborn. She grew up in Brighton and was a huge Braves baseball fan and the only time she ever went to Fenway with me and my Dad was when the Red Sox would play Milwaukee in the Jimmy Fund game - she HATED the Red Sox.

Her love of hockey never abated - She bought a color TV in April of 1968 because the Bruins were finally in the playoffs.

My Mom passed in November of 1971 and honestly her health diminished when Montreal upset us that spring. My biggest regret in life is I never got to know my parents as an adult.

Here is all you have to know about me and my deep love of hockey. In 1966 when my Dad died I was attending a prep school in Rhode Island ( Mt St Charles ) as a boarder. I had arranged with a classmate before my Dad died to see a Bruins/Rangers game at the old MSG on a Saturday afternoon.

I told my Mom that I was going to the library to study and she said OK but back in 1966 the airlines had youth fare tickets and I hopped on the Eastern Shuttle for like $12 round trip.

The Bruins lost to the Rangers 9-2 but I had learned the drill ( keep in mind I am 15 years old ) and sadly took the 7 train to Jackson Heights and the Q33 bus to the airport.

I was back at home by 6 PM and my Mom just said 'Well you saw an ugly B's game today' - she just KNEW what I had done. ( turns out she saw me on TV as the game was on Channel 5 ) but she didn't care.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-2-12_13-15-22.png

110_modele.jpg

zamboni_going_to_hockey_hall_of_fame.jpg

Getting into the Hockey Hall of Fame is tough enough; but it almost became impossible on July 25, 1990, for one of the original Zamboni machines. Workmen had a long struggle before finally squeezing it through a side door. (Ken Faught/Toronto Star via Getty Images)

Reactions: Agent86

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ties really helping the Red Wings out that season.

Two fewer wins than the B's.

They and the Hawks getting in w/ a losing record!

Just look at those goal differentials.
Montreal completely dominating!

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
View attachment 395565

110_modele.jpg

zamboni_going_to_hockey_hall_of_fame.jpg

Getting into the Hockey Hall of Fame is tough enough; but it almost became impossible on July 25, 1990, for one of the original Zamboni machines. Workmen had a long struggle before finally squeezing it through a side door. (Ken Faught/Toronto Star via Getty Images)

Fenway, thanks for updating this thread. You have lived a charmed life and appreciate the glimpses into the past as it always brings back memories and points of reference. Cool to see Brian McFarlane's name above as well, son of Franklin W. Dixon/Carolyn Keene.

Unfortunately, I am a bit of a neophyte, only attending my first Bruins game slightly over 50 years ago.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
That crippled lineup was not the Oakland Seals

View attachment 395575

Gee Toe, upset that you could only ice 5 Hall of Famers instead of 6? Boo freaking hoo.

What's really sad is I recognize as many Habs names as I do Bruins, and I know Don McKenney and Fernie Flaman from my years at their hockey school, and my sister skated with Doug Mohns' daughter; otherwise it's 50/50 that I would know them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad