GDT: #55 – Sabres at Maple Leafs – Sat Feb 11, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
5on5 Corsi was basically even after 2, but the Leafs ended the game with 26 more shot attempts.

Utter joke.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
How many games are you saying would be in that handful?

10 in a season. I'd be shocked if he got 50 career games.

You never say never. Paul Byron is one guy I remember thinking there is just no way. I respect that guy as much as anybody in the NHL. The talent is decent but he's tiny. His determination is unreal.

Evan is a major, major long shot. He's got another couple of years maybe before he's a career AHLer, if that.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I know everyone hates how Bylsma coached after the 1st but we see a lot of coaches do that. Sabres have been the beneficiary of conservative coaches with the lead.

I really dont know what is the best way to play it. They won the game so I cant say he made the wrong choice.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
10 in a season. I'd be shocked if he got 50 career games.

You never say never. Paul Byron is one guy I remember thinking there is just no way. I respect that guy as much as anybody in the NHL. The talent is decent but he's tiny. His determination is unreal.

Evan is a major, major long shot. He's got another couple of years maybe before he's a career AHLer, if that.

He's 23 years old. He has plenty of time.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I know everyone hates how Bylsma coached after the 1st but we see a lot of coaches do that. Sabres have been the beneficiary of conservative coaches with the lead.

I really dont know what is the best way to play it. They won the game so I cant say he made the wrong choice.

No team does it as hard as we do. Dallas did it that one time against us tho :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Teams don't get obliterated in possession like that. And disco does it even when we're not leading.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

You see coaches play prevent when there's like 10 minutes left in the game. Not 40.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

There's a massive difference between doing it with 10 minutes left, and doing it for 40 minutes. I can understand telling the guys to reduce the risk while up 3-0 in the second. In the third this team stopped forechecking and it was completely unnecessary

Eichel Tower

Apr 10, 2016
There's a massive difference between doing it with 10 minutes left, and doing it for 40 minutes. I can understand telling the guys to reduce the risk while up 3-0 in the second. In the third this team stopped forechecking and it was completely unnecessary

The turning point for the 05-06 Sabres was the 10-1 LA game. That's when everyone realized how good that team could be. They were relentless and didn't care about "not losing" the game, never sitting back into a defensive minded game. I don't think disco dan has that kind of game in his coaching arsenal. To him big leads are about conservation, not widening them. We need a coach who keeps Proud Mary burnin.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
In the 3rd the Eichel line had control of the puck in the Leafs zone below or parallel to the face-off dots, opportunity to create a scoring chance - I couldn't believe it they just gave up the puck and went off for a line change.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
BREAKING: Sabres rebuild now OFFICIALLY ahead of the Maple Leafs.

Is that how this works?

Matthews with 0 points and Eichel with 3 points. Mathews not in Eichels league...I think thats how you do it. :laugh:

I almost turned off the game at the end of the first knowing thats how they would play for 40 minutes. WTG Bylsma

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
The turning point for the 05-06 Sabres was the 10-1 LA game. That's when everyone realized how good that team could be. They were relentless and didn't care about "not losing" the game, never sitting back into a defensive minded game. I don't think disco dan has that kind of game in his coaching arsenal. To him big leads are about conservation, not widening them. We need a coach who keeps Proud Mary burnin.

Exactly -- I want "my" team to go out there and lay the kill shot on any team they play. We're up 2 with a period to go? Lets make it three. The second a teams lays off the gas and plays prevent theyre giving the other team exactly what they need -- the puck and easy zone access.

Not that it is always necessary but keeping the peddle to the metal and beating the leafs 5-0 or 6-0 would have been nice. Play the game that was working so well.

How many times as Bills fans have we seen our coaches tell the QB to "play safe," "dont turn the ball over?" Look where that has gotten us over the last 17 years. Go out there and be confident and play a full 60 minutes.

The way this team plays with a lead is clearly an indication that it still lacks confidence that they can maintain the lead. It may not be all on Bylsma but its evident that he is telling them to play passively.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
You can't compare 05-06 Sabres to any current Sabres squad. That was an incredible team with literally 4 scoring lines filled with good players. That was our best chance for a cup Regier dumb lucked his way into that team but my God they were down right incredible. I never felt worried Down by 2 at any point of the game. I think it was after a game against Philly where Grier scored with a few seconds left to win and a Flyer said that the Sabres had 4 #1 lines.

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
Got to do something about the shots against, Lehner isn't always going to save this team's bacon. Also, the 1 power play a game streak disparity can't last forever, can it?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Playing back on your heels doesn't work out well, very often. Disco was lucky the whole strategy didn't blow up in his face.

Still, its ALWAYS great to beat the Leafs!!!

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
lol, I didn't know we had 60 scouts in this forum.

You guy talk like you know what the coaching staff is telling to the players. Anyone else notice that the leafs had a hard time getting to the middle of the ice in the third and the only real optertunities the leafs had where scrambles infront of the net? The leafs can take 100 shots from the outside that's the point, if one goes in than that's on the goalie.

Also Dan has a cup, you know, the thing you win when you win four playoff rounds? Stop with the bloody negativity towards him. So many people want his head. It has been less than 2 years, and his coaching a rebuilding team. He is coaching to the teams strengths, the sabres are not a run and gun hockey team.

Anyways they are back home tomorrow vs Vancouver so hopefully they get some good rest and are ready.

Last edited:

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005

You guy talk like you know what the coaching staff is telling to the players. Anyone else notice that the leafs had a hard time getting to the middle of the ice in the third and the only real optertunities the leafs had where scrambles infront of the net? The leafs can take 100 shots from the outside that's the point, if one goes in than that's on the goalie.

Also Dan has a cup, you know, the thing you win when you win four playoff rounds? Stop with the bloody negativity towards him. So many people want his head. It has been less than 2 years, and his coaching a rebuilding team. He is coaching to the teams streghts, the sabres are not a run and run hockey team.

Anyways they are back home tomorrow vs Vancouver so hopefully they get some good rest and are ready.

Burp!

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Also Dan has a cup, you know, the thing you win when you win four playoff rounds? Stop with the bloody negativity towards him. So many people want his head. It has been less than 2 years, and his coaching a rebuilding team. He is coaching to the teams streghts, the sabres are not a run and run hockey team.

If you were trying to get everything wrong, you succeeded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad