Prospect Info: 54th Overall Robert Mastrosimone LW/C

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was he battling injuries this season? I was expecting a much bigger season from him.

I still have some hope in the player, I think he has a nice skill set. Just wondering if anyone has more info.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Was he battling injuries this season? I was expecting a much bigger season from him.

I still have some hope in the player, I think he has a nice skill set. Just wondering if anyone has more info.

Weird to see Jay OBrien come to the team and go a point-per-game. Tuch was another freshman who had a big year.
But it was a strange season for Boston U
Next year will be huge for Mastro.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

He played pretty strong in the BU games I saw. And last year he played great with Zegras but for whatever reason the coach kept him down on the 3rd line in a checking role except in that injury fill in stint.

BU also had probably the weakest team on paper and on ice in as long as I've been a fan. Mastro probably should have had more icetime but for whatever reason just couldn't move up to the top line.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Good to hear that they are concentrating on his 2-way play.

His 2 way play definitely isn't a concern, nor is his work ethic. Last year when playing with Ethan Philips they made a great checking line but Mastro was the line driver. His short stint on Zegras wing saw both Mastro and Zegras producing really well and dominating zone possession.

This year Mastro was jumping between the 2nd and 3rd line and was again counted on being the line driver. Coach Albie O'Connell is the kind of guy that rolls 4 lines and a balanced lineup so I guess from that standpoint that makes sense, but the lack of top talent at BU this year didn't make much sense to try that. They could have stacked the top 2 lines and done better, in my opinion.

That's what BU's lineup looked like most of the time. You can't tell me that Mastrosimone isn't the most talented winger on that team.

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm still high on the kid, I like his makeup and his down year doesn't change that. Next year will be big and I'm hoping he can really tap into some offense and drive his projection closer to a middle-6 type winger with motor. But if not, he still has a pretty solid floor and the tools to be a realgud bottom-6er.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm still high on the kid, I like his makeup and his down year doesn't change that. Next year will be big and I'm hoping he can really tap into some offense and drive his projection closer to a middle-6 type winger with motor. But if not, he still has a pretty solid floor and the tools to be a realgud bottom-6er.

Same. Mastro reminds me a lot of Jack Drury as a prospect, and I think he has similar potential as a middle 6er. Mastro just needs to get consistent scoring line minutes.

Reactions: jaster

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
His 2 way play definitely isn't a concern, nor is his work ethic. Last year when playing with Ethan Philips they made a great checking line but Mastro was the line driver. His short stint on Zegras wing saw both Mastro and Zegras producing really well and dominating zone possession.

This year Mastro was jumping between the 2nd and 3rd line and was again counted on being the line driver. Coach Albie O'Connell is the kind of guy that rolls 4 lines and a balanced lineup so I guess from that standpoint that makes sense, but the lack of top talent at BU this year didn't make much sense to try that. They could have stacked the top 2 lines and done better, in my opinion.

That's what BU's lineup looked like most of the time. You can't tell me that Mastrosimone isn't the most talented winger on that team.

What's your argument that Mastrosimone is more talented than Tuch?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What's your argument that Mastrosimone is more talented than Tuch?

My eyeballs. Like I told you before I watch a lot of BU hockey. I'm an alumni. They're my team. Go Rhett!

Tuch doesnt really do anything better than Mastrosimone. They both project to be middle 6 forwards at the next level. Tuch projects that way because he's not terribly agile or skilled, but he's got good straight ahead speed so the hope is he becomes a power winger type. His puck skills need a lot of work because he flubbed a ton of scoring chances and is not a good playmaker. I think that it's more likely Tuch ends up in the bottom 6 or on a 4th line before playing in a 2nd/3rd line tweener role.

Mastro projects as a middle 6 guy because he's got slightly average speed for a little guy and it's easily the most important part of his game to work on. He's tenacious on the puck and fairly physical for a little guy, at least as much as Tuch was if not moreso. Mastro's shot is also superior to Tuch.

If Mastro improves that top end speed you're looking at a potential Robby Fabbri 40-50 point guy that can play anywhere in your top 9. I'd like to see him play one more season at BU to work on that while in a top line role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad