54% linkage of total gross revenues or net revenues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
What are we talking about? Is the 54% linkage to be based on the total revenues of the all the teams divided by 30? Or 54% of each team's gross revenue is what a team can spend. Or must spend?

Can someone explain linkage for me as I'm confused. :dunce:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The players will end up with 54% (or whatever percentage they end up with in the final negotiations) of net revenues, by a formula agreed upon within the CBA and also audited independently if owners hide revenues.

They work this out in the NFL, NBA, etc. They merely adjust the Cap yearly based on last years revenue calculations.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
QQQ said:
What are we talking about? Is the 54% linkage to be based on the total revenues of the all the teams divided by 30? Or 54% of each team's gross revenue is what a team can spend. Or must spend?

Can someone explain linkage for me as I'm confused. :dunce:
League Revenues .. Based on last Season Levitt report

$ 2.1 Bil (league revenue) / 30 teams X 54 % = $ 37,800,000 Per team .. Hard Cap Ceiling .. based on 54% linkage

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
so the owner gets 46% for himself

Not bad. How much is 46% of the 2.2 billion? Math is not my strong suit. Must be in the 30 million range? So 30 million a year? Is that right? :help:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
QQQ said:
Not bad. How much is 46% of the 2.2 billion? Math is not my strong suit. Must be in the 30 million range? So 30 million a year? Is that right? :help:

Owner pays for the GMs, office staff, coaching staff, community work, general team costs, rink rentals,interest, etc. They don't just drop $30m in the pocket and head off to the race track.

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
Net revenue or gross?

Jaded-Fan said:
The players will end up with 54% (or whatever percentage they end up with in the final negotiations) of net revenues, by a formula agreed upon within the CBA and also audited independently if owners hide revenues.

They work this out in the NFL, NBA, etc. They merely adjust the Cap yearly based on last years revenue calculations.
Jaded Fan says 54 % of net revenue.

When I took business accounting, way back when, net revenue meant after all expenses were deducted and what was left over was profit.

So if 54% linkage is based on net revenue or profit- the players could be playing for nothing seeing as how the league has lost money?

CMUMike

Feb 13, 2005
QQQ said:

When I took business accounting, way back when, net revenue meant after all expenses were deducted and what was left over was profit.

So if 54% linkage is based on net revenue or profit- the players could be playing for nothing seeing as how the league has lost money?
54% of whatever the NHL and NHLPA agree on as hockey related revenue. So if that is tickets, TV, and merchandise (for example) and those 3 revenue streams add up to 2B, then the salary cap would be 2B * 54% / 30.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
QQQ said:

The 54 percent is gross hockey-related revenues.
If you took accounting way back when you'd know that the owners weren't going to profit $30 million a year.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
CarlRacki said:
The 54 percent is gross hockey-related revenues.
If you took accounting way back when you'd know that the owners weren't going to profit $30 million a year.

"Net Revenue" is a bit of an invention. It doesn't mean gross revenue, it basically means gross revenue less any costs to get that revenue. Big things like player salaries, front office staff, and rink maintenance aren't deducted. But for things like concession sales, the cost of the hot dog and the guy that sold it to you are deducted from the price of the hotdog to get "net revenue".

mackdogs*

gc2005 said:
"Net Revenue" is a bit of an invention. It doesn't mean gross revenue, it basically means gross revenue less any costs to get that revenue. Big things like player salaries, front office staff, and rink maintenance aren't deducted. But for things like concession sales, the cost of the hot dog and the guy that sold it to you are deducted from the price of the hotdog to get "net revenue".
Like CarlRacki mentioned, and you quoted, it would be a percentage of gross revenue. Net revenue is an invention? Haha, that's funny. Try Accounting 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->