Prospect Info: #53 Filip Hronek

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Flint has 3 more games against Saginaw..2 there and 1 here and I'll be at them all...when his season is over in a few weeks I think he'll be in the Griffins lineup

Hronek will most likely play in Grand Rapids this season on an amateur contract after the Spirit season is done. He will at least be practicing with the Griffins, or maybe play a game or two before the playoffs to break him in. Might even get some playoff action as well. The Wings usually send their draft picks to Grand Rapids when the player is done with his (juniors/college) season. Same could be said about Saarijarvi.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Looks like he's starting to heat up. I really want to watch this kid, haven't been able to stream any griffins games yet this year though. Probably the most intriguing prospect we have right now IMO.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Whats his playstyle like? He a dynamic skater? Lots of slap shots or does he prefer wrist shots? Is he purely offensive minded or does he have some hope in the defensive end? I honestly have no clue how this guy plays

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Great skater, heavy and accurate shot, very nifty on the blueline (throws fakes, slap-passes, uses his high-level skating to open up lanes).

Plays with a real physical edge, doesn't back down, defensive game has some pretty sizeable holes and is still developing, but his willingness to play the body and engage in board battles keeps me optimistic.

He's still pretty skinny, so I don't think he'll see any NHL action this season. I hope he plays at least 20-30 games next season though.

Right now he's Nick Jensen (Hronek's top speed is slightly inferior IMO) + elite offensive instincts (which is a top 4 defenseman), it's all about honing that offensive game and developing a better defensive game.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Whats his playstyle like? He a dynamic skater? Lots of slap shots or does he prefer wrist shots? Is he purely offensive minded or does he have some hope in the defensive end? I honestly have no clue how this guy plays
It’s obv early but I’d say a poor mans Brent burns with some fistyness

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
From the griffinscentral:

"Filip Hronek played a super game. He really showed off his skating and puck handling, moving the puck up ice and also being in great position to break up plays and pick off passes. He was solid in his own end, several times making the right play at the right time to move the puck out of danger. Despite only being credited with one shot on goal, he several great attempts, especially on the powerplay where he fired away at every opportunity. He really has improved leaps and bounds since even the beginning of this season, and has played well beyond his years."

I hope he can continue this .5 ppg pace.

Reactions: Leronziia

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Did the same in Saginaw last year too, I believe.

Took half a dozen games to find his groove and become accustomed to his surroundings, then went on a scoring rampage for the rest of the season.

He should be able to put up 35-40 points.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If that's what he becomes, that's a pretty damn good player. I know he was kinda meh when he came here... but a 35-50 point defenseman is a 35-50 point defenseman.

I was thinking of prime/young Zidlicky, fwiw.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If that's what he becomes, that's a pretty damn good player. I know he was kinda meh when he came here... but a 35-50 point defenseman is a 35-50 point defenseman.

Yeah getting a 21 year old Zidlicky for free is better than wasting an asset to get a 35 year old Zidlicky.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I was thinking of prime/young Zidlicky, fwiw.

I'm aware. Zidlicky in his early years was a 35-50 point D-man and routinely was closer to 50 than 35.

I was agreeing with you. If that's what Hronek is at the NHL level, that's a great player and a very successful draft pick.

I was trying to pre-empt someone saying "Man, we had Zidlicky and he sucked."

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Looking at his stats, Zidlicky was drafted at like 24 years old.
Had his career high in goals and assists and points as 26 year old rookie (14-39-53).

I think the Hronek/Zidlicky thing is a Czech/RHD thing as much as anything.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Justin Faulk is maybe the other guy I was thinking of using? Idk, finding a 1:1 comparison is always hard.

I am not sure his shot is anywhere near as heavy as either Faulk and Zidlicky. I like the Zidlicky comparison a lot but he was a bomber at times as a younger player. I hope Hronek develops that a little more, but I don't think he has the howitzer.

Another one I thought of was Visnovsky, obviously a different handedness unlike Zidlicky and Faulk. But a guy that played with his head up and tape to tape consistency. I never thought Visnovsky had an overpowering shot but he still had some massive offensive years. Not sure Hronek would clip numbers as high as Visnovsky but he is an incredibly smart player in terms of movement and his weighting of passes is phenomenal at a young age. Very excited about Hronek.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
handedness aside, how about Darryl Sydor? Could move his feet, was pretty productive in Dallas, and had a bit of jam to his game.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Zidlicky was one of my favorite dmen on other teams. If hronek becomes that I may have to buy his jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->