Prospect Info: #53 Filip Hronek

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
OHL is the best fit for him right now. He had literally never even played on NA ice until a month or two ago.

He needs to get stronger and continue to learn how to play on smaller ice before playing AHL hockey. He also needs to log big minutes, as you said, because last year he played like 4 minutes a game in the extraliga.

Playing this year in the OHL and Saginaw is the ideal fit for him right now.

Totally agree with this. Really pumped to watch his progress this year in the OHL. Think he might be an import draft guy that makes an immediate impact.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was that Saginaw defence rumoured to be somewhat stacked? It will be very interesting to see if Hronek starts outplaying some higher touted prospects inside the team...

Will be close-watched guy at becomin season.

Jimmy D is a partial owner there now, and they spent a 1st round pick on him in the import draft, so I have very little concerns over his usage and playing time.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Why the hell would the pressbox be better than getting some action in preseason games?

I'm not talking about preseason I'm talking about his time in Extraliga. Someone previously quoted him as playing 3:11 TOI. That seems utterly pointless to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not talking about preseason I'm talking about his time in Extraliga. Someone previously quoted him as playing 3:11 TOI. That seems utterly pointless to me.

OHH I thought you were looking at his preseason minutes so far.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

He still played 61 games in other competitions. Czech U20, Czech 2nd level and International junior competitions. It could have been like Red Wings handle Griffins callups.

Guy has played for juniors in a big role on tuesday, and then gets called for men's team on wednesday just for spare part and is on friday again on juniors with big minutes and again just the 7th extra on mens team on saturday.

Or something like that. Special case.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
No he is not. Last name is spelled differently

I have season tickets in Saginaw so I will get a good look at him this year and have seen him at team training camp. Definitely a kid who is uber talented. Needs to get used to playing a north american style game on smaller ice but seems smart enough to figure it out. Played here saturday after the Wings game friday night and I think he played close to 30 minutes. He was out in all situations. Top line PK, PP, and Even strength.

Also I noticed his game is really chippy. At least 3 times saturday he got back at a guy with a little wack or crosscheck after the whistle. Got away with all 3. Will be interesting to see when/if the refs start paying attention.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
He won't be competing for a job. D take longer to develop, and Detroit isn't rushing anyone.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Obviously.

Detroit don't usually bring in D-men to GR after one year of junior, which was the curious point.

It will be his draft +2 season. It is perfectly normal to send a kid to the AHL at that point. He is also on the older side of his draft class. The OHL is actually a step down from the professional league he was playing in last year, but still probably better for his development at this point. Even if he isn't competing for a spot on the Wings in the next two years, I think he is a pretty precocious player, which is the important part.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Obviously.

Detroit don't usually bring in D-men to GR after one year of junior, which was the curious point.

Nah, I get that. Wasn't a shot or anything. I'm not exactly sure about bringing him to Grand Rapids next year with Vili coming up and playing a similar role of sorts. 17/18 I'm expecting Lashoff, Hicketts and Vili to fill up 3/4s of our top 4. We'll see.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I thought this was an interesting comment from Ryan Martin:

.."He's most likely going to play one year of junior before playing in the American League (for Grand Rapids) or competing for a job in Detroit."

http://www.mlive.com/spirit/index.ssf/2016/10/red_wings_prospect_filip_hrone.html

Management see Hronek making the transition to pro in 1 year. Makes sense, he's already played against men.

This is the quote I like from the article

"I hope he's ready to play a lot," Carbery said. "He's going to work in every situation as much as he can handle. He's going to be an absolute difference maker for us."

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
That's how late birthday CHLers are often treated by the Red Wings. Svechnikov, Mantha, Frk, Jurco all were treated the same. Through Hronek is slightly different because he could play for GR already now, not being drafted out of the CHL.

By the way, it's kind of interesting how all those Wings' late birthday CHL picks in recent drafts have been top round picks (1st, 2nd). Overall CHL picks in the early rounds, then Euros and college-bound kids later in the draft seems to be a common trend lately. Probably makes sense since the CHL must be most heavily scouted and not many guys fall through the cracks.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
42 points in 45 games in his first OHL season. Seems to be having a good year so I asked some Saginaw fans what they thought of him.

He looks like the real deal. Could have easily played for the Griffins this year and done just fine. Great puck mover. Could see him put up 30-35 pts next year in GR. Between him Sarajarvi, Hicketts, and Cholowski, the Wings aren't short on offensive minded Dmem in their system.

I like to tell people he reminds me of Sergei Gonchar. Great on his skates in all directions and as Kingpin stated, great with the puck...particularly at home on the PP. Has been making the odd mistake from time to time, coughing the puck up, but I attribute that in trying to do a bit too much with a weak team. Fun to watch.

As stated obove,his offensive skills are excellent and has good vision moving the puck in both ends.
4 of his 9 goals are PP along with 33 assists is 42P in 45 games.
It has been a treat watching him develop into an even more skilled D-man. Future looks bright for him.

If this kid come into AHL next season and continues putting up tons of points he should start seeing lots of hype.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Nah, I get that. Wasn't a shot or anything. I'm not exactly sure about bringing him to Grand Rapids next year with Vili coming up and playing a similar role of sorts. 17/18 I'm expecting Lashoff, Hicketts and Vili to fill up 3/4s of our top 4. We'll see.

Good chance that Saarijarvi spends a lot of time in Toledo because he needs to work on his defense...the offense is fine

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
42 points in 45 games in his first OHL season. Seems to be having a good year so I asked some Saginaw fans what they thought of him.

If this kid come into AHL next season and continues putting up tons of points he should start seeing lots of hype.

Flint has 3 more games against Saginaw..2 there and 1 here and I'll be at them all...when his season is over in a few weeks I think he'll be in the Griffins lineup

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I'm still not sold on Hronek. He looks strong, his numbers are good and He may be a decent player down the road.

But decent players are a dime a dozen. He doesn't look like a dominant force that will be a surefire top 4 defenseman in the NHL. I project him to a similiar player to Oulette. Maybe a slightly better skater, but not enough to move the needle very much.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm still not sold on Hronek. He looks strong, his numbers are good and He may be a decent player down the road.

But decent players are a dime a dozen. He doesn't look like a dominant force that will be a surefire top 4 defenseman in the NHL. I project him to a similiar player to Oulette. Maybe a slightly better skater, but not enough to move the needle very much.

I'd say he's doing quite well in his first North American season on a weak team. Looking like a great 53rd overall selection

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Based on what? Have you seen him play? The guy oozes hockey sense and composure. I'm not sure what you mean my dominant force but he certainly runs the game whenever he's on the ice. And that's as a first year NA player.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

I see what you mean, but Hronek looks like he's on another level than Ouellet. Comparing their draft +1 seasons, Hronek is doing better offensively on a worse team in his first season in North America. And although Ouellet didn't really pan out into the top pairing dman everyone wanted, the only thing holding him back is his skating. A faster Ouellet with a little better offense is a very good dman imo. And thats what Hronek looks like.

But I do agree its hard to get excited with our D prospects because we all had such high hopes for the 2011 class and none of them even came close to their expected ceilings.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Ouellet can be a top 4 dman right now. So if hronek is better in the ozone. Same in the dzone. And a better skater? I'll take it.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Ouellet can be a top 4 dman right now. So if hronek is better in the ozone. Same in the dzone. And a better skater? I'll take it.

If he truly is better in the ozone we should install one of these in the new arena

bBB5PET.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad