Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Here's the final points of the players that were drafted before Räty in this tournament:

4th pick defender Luke Hughes 0+0=0 (-1) / 2 games
10th pick Tyler Boucher 1+1=2 (-1) / 4 games
13th pick Matthew Coronato 0+2=2 (+0) / 4 games
14th pick Isak Rosen 1+0=1 (-4) / 6 games
18th pick Chaz Lucius 2+0=2 (-1) / 3 games
-----------------------------------------------------------
21st pick Fabian Lysell 0+0=0 (-5) / 6 games
24th pick Matthew Samoskewich 1+1=2 (0) / 2 games
28th pick Oskar Olausson 3+1=4 (-2) / 6 games
36th pick defender Shai Buium 0+0=0 (0) / 1 game
37th pick Josh Doan 0+0=0 (0) / 1 game
40th pick defender Scott Morrow 0+0=0 (-1) / 1 game
44th pick defender Aleksi Heimosalmi 0+1=1 (-3) / 6 games
46th pick Samu Tuomaala 1+1=2 (+2) / 5 games
51st pick Ville Koivunen 1+1=2 (+2) / 6 games
------------------------------------------------------------
52nd pick Aatu Räty 6+8=14 (+8) / 6 games
damn that's insane

Reactions: JoeM and Whyme

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I thought for sure that Philip Tomasino would be our pick last season when he slid a bit, over Holmstrom and others (I have to admit, I was not in on McMichael but probably should have looked at him more), but Raty is really helping to assuage that debatable/questionable choice.

Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT a Holmstrom hater and I am still hoping for the best.

I believe Holmstrom might have a future as a Josh Bailey-type player (lots of assists, lack of goals but solid, two-way play that stabilizes a line), he just needs more time to physically mature and might settle in on the third line.

I was excited about the Bolduc pick and am similarly hopeful for the Raty selection. If those two guys pan out, it would be a huge boost for the Isles system.

Potentially locking in a top-6/9 center and top-4 defenseman, in the second round in back-to-back drafts is huge.

Add in some of the later selections the past few drafts that seem to be developing nicely, and look like they can fill out at least fourth line/third pairing/depth spots on the cheap, and that should enable the Isles to spend for some high-end talent up front down the line.

Reactions: buud

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
The page I got the stats from didn't show stats of American players correctly so I calculated them manually (some players were in both USA Blue and USA White teams so just added them manually). These should be the correct stats and in fact Räty's points just look more impressive to me now. Now I'll be away for a while, but may come and update Räty's situation at some point.

4th pick defender Luke Hughes 0+0=0 (-2) / 5 games
10th pick Tyler Boucher 1+1=2 (-3) / 5 games
13th pick Matthew Coronato 0+3=3 (+2) / 5 games
24th pick Matthew Samoskewich 1+3=4 (+1) / 5 games
36th pick defender Shai Buium 0+0=0 (0) / 2 games
37th pick Josh Doan 0+1=1 (-1) / 4 games
40th pick defender Scott Morrow 1+0=1 (+1) / 2 games

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I thought for sure that Philip Tomasino would be our pick last season when he slid a bit, over Holmstrom and others (I have to admit, I was not in on McMichael but probably should have looked at him more), but Raty is really helping to assuage that debatable/questionable choice.

Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT a Holmstrom hater and I am still hoping for the best.

I believe Holmstrom might have a future as a Josh Bailey-type player (lots of assists, lack of goals but solid, two-way play that stabilizes a line), he just needs more time to physically mature and might settle in on the third line.

STOP hating on Holmstrom!

Geez Louise, I mean give it a break already...

:sarcasm:

I was excited about the Bolduc pick and am similarly hopeful for the Raty selection. If those two guys pan out, it would be a huge boost for the Isles system.

Potentially locking in a top-6/9 center and top-4 defenseman, in the second round in back-to-back drafts is huge.

Well, there was the 2020 draft in between there, but we didn't have a 2nd rounder, so I guess that's what you're thinking about.

Add in some of the later selections the past few drafts that seem to be developing nicely, and look like they can fill out at least fourth line/third pairing/depth spots on the cheap, and that should enable the Isles to spend for some high-end talent up front down the line.

Definitely gotta think that Newkirk, Dufour, Rajaniemi, and Malinen are all guys who could make a depth difference along the way.

BTW, this is only with respect to Future Considerations' draft rankings, but this author points out that the Islanders had the best draft whatsoever when taking a "Sport taken/Pre-Draft ranking" analysis into consideration, pointing out that Raty was huge, but Malinen is actually the guy that puts the Isles over the top.
ANALYTICS APPROACH: How each team fared at the 2021 Draft - FCHockey

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
4th pick defender Luke Hughes 0+0=0 (-2) / 5 games
10th pick Tyler Boucher 1+1=2 (-3) / 5 games
13th pick Matthew Coronato 0+3=3 (+2) / 5 games
24th pick Matthew Samoskewich 1+3=4 (+1) / 5 games
36th pick defender Shai Buium 0+0=0 (0) / 2 games
37th pick Josh Doan 0+1=1 (-1) / 4 games
40th pick defender Scott Morrow 1+0=1 (+1) / 2 games

The scouts definitely know what they're doing...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
At 10th, Tyler Boucher was also a reach..Not sure if he was pegged for the 1st round even.. One drops and one rises..

Still think Holmstrom will be good and will be more Pasternak-like.....though am wondering how much covid has affected the progression of players.

If the draft were to happen today, Aatu has to be in consideration for top 5

Reactions: JoeM

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
At 10th, Tyler Boucher was also a reach..Not sure if he was pegged for the 1st round even.. One drops and one rises...

Ottawa's draft has gotten a LOT of criticism - and basically throughout the 7 rounds.

Seen in a vaccum, it was pretty rough, because they just basically went off the board everywhere.

However, when you look at the 748 picks they've made over the past five drafts approaching this one, you'll realize that they went for a very specific type of grinding, sand paper player just about throughout after having loaded up on skill guys and scoring in recent years.

Thus, there was a definite method to their madness, even though they clearly strayed away from anything resembly going after the BPA.

Still think Holmstrom will be good and will be more Pasternak-like.....though am wondering how much covid has affected the progression of players.

Every time you write this, I have to follow up with "From your keyboard to the hockey Gods' ears".

If the draft were to happen today, Aatu has to be in consideration for top 5

Dude, the draft was like 9 days ago.

That's putting a lot of weight into one WJSS.

But maybe Montreal would have taken him at 31.:sarcasm:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Aatu Raty, C, New York Islanders (Finland)
The Aatu Raty revenge tour was in full swing at the showcase as he was a consistently impressive player and a leading scorer in the tournament. This event doesn’t mean he’s back to where he was a year ago and we will want to see how he does in Liiga versus men, but it was nice to see consistent displays of puck skills, playmaking and finishing from Raty. He was competing hard and showing his skill, which helped him stand out and keep the puck. His skating isn’t great and it will limit him at higher levels, but there was a lot of buzz among NHL scouts at the event for Raty, the most I’ve seen for him since two seasons ago.

World Junior showcase: Jake Sanderson looks NHL ready, Aatu Raty gets buzz; plus USA's projected roster

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
STOP hating on Holmstrom!

Geez Louise, I mean give it a break already...
I think after last year, I should give him a rest for the way the season was handled, how few games they played, and how poor the schedule was by playing only two AHL clubs. Holmstrom has promise, but Tomasino and McMicheal have been much better as of late, so i get some concern from our side

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think after last year, I should give him a rest for the way the season was handled, how few games they played, and how poor the schedule was by playing only two AHL clubs. Holmstrom has promise, but Tomasino and McMicheal have been much better as of late, so i get some concern from our side

I was, naturally, being fully sarcastic in the post you're quoting...

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Aatu Raty, C, New York Islanders (Finland)
The Aatu Raty revenge tour was in full swing at the showcase as he was a consistently impressive player and a leading scorer in the tournament. This event doesn’t mean he’s back to where he was a year ago and we will want to see how he does in Liiga versus men, but it was nice to see consistent displays of puck skills, playmaking and finishing from Raty. He was competing hard and showing his skill, which helped him stand out and keep the puck. His skating isn’t great and it will limit him at higher levels, but there was a lot of buzz among NHL scouts at the event for Raty, the most I’ve seen for him since two seasons ago.

World Junior showcase: Jake Sanderson looks NHL ready, Aatu Raty gets buzz; plus USA's projected roster
I'm glad that they're trying to say "hey he's good, but there's still flaws in his game", because I still dislike how he skates. It's pretty clunky and he looks like someone who could struggle at the NHL level. At the same time, this was said about Mark Stone too. Skating can always be improved upon, so I hope Raty starts to get that fixed overtime

Reactions: Hazard78

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I was, naturally, being fully sarcastic in the post you're quoting...
I get it is sarcastic from you but some people (myself included) are way too hard on this kid. Let him develop himself. He still hasn't played a full AHL season yet

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I get it is sarcastic from you but some people (myself included) are way too hard on this kid. Let him develop himself. He still hasn't played a full AHL season yet

He's got time and I'm beginning to think that our scouting department knows what it's doing.

Bolduc, Jeffries, Dufour, Rajamiemi, now perhaps Berg and Malinen...

They've taken a handful of players in recent years who went from being "Who dat?" to "Uh, is he like really overachieving or what's going on?".

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He's got time and I'm beginning to think that our scouting department knows what it's doing.

Bolduc, Jeffries, Dufour, Rajamiemi, now perhaps Berg and Malinen...

They've taken a handful of players in recent years who went from being "Who dat?" to "Uh, is he like really overachieving or what's going on?".
I completely agree. Malinen and Rajaniemi could be solid pieces down the road or even players who at least make it to Bridgeport at the very least. Dufour, Jeffries and Berg all could be solid parts as well. The isles road to success is ultimately through building back a strong backend like the Bolts, Penguins, and even Hawks used when they won. You can't go far if the farm isn't at least able to provide in some facet

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm glad that they're trying to say "hey he's good, but there's still flaws in his game", because I still dislike how he skates. It's pretty clunky and he looks like someone who could struggle at the NHL level. At the same time, this was said about Mark Stone too. Skating can always be improved upon, so I hope Raty starts to get that fixed overtime
John Tavares’ biggest weakness coming into the NHL was skating. He worked on it and became a decent skater. I would say Raty is a better skater now than Tavares was at his age.

Reactions: Hazard78

scott99

May 13, 2005
I completely agree. Malinen and Rajaniemi could be solid pieces down the road or even players who at least make it to Bridgeport at the very least. Dufour, Jeffries and Berg all could be solid parts as well. The isles road to success is ultimately through building back a strong backend like the Bolts, Penguins, and even Hawks used when they won. You can't go far if the farm isn't at least able to provide in some facet
I think some mid range picks have been excellent, and then they absolutely nailed it with recent 2nd round picks in Wilde, Bolduc & Raty. We’ve seen to have forgotten about Wilde, he’s extremely talented, and could turn out to be a solid 3rd pairing defenseman, with some offense.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
John Tavares’ biggest weakness coming into the NHL was skating. He worked on it and became a decent skater. I would say Raty is a better skater now than Tavares was at his age.
And Raty is still young. He's not even in his 20's and still can improve his skating in Liiga and even at the AHL level like Tuch did

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think some mid range picks have been excellent, and then they absolutely nailed it with recent 2nd round picks in Wilde, Bolduc & Raty. We’ve seen to have forgotten about Wilde, he’s extremely talented, and could turn out to be a solid 3rd pairing defenseman, with some offense.
And Wilde is a RHD, which is vital for anyone. they absolutely have taken advantage of round 2 more than round 1 as of late

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Raty should be the best of these 2nd rounders, but we do need to see more out of Wilde.

The complicated ankle sprain and his very mediocre "24-game" season in the AHL have basically tempered everyone's expectations.

In his case, the proof will be in the pudding. Dmen need time and he'll get it (if he's not part of a trade), but at some point in the next two seasons, he needs to show that there's something there that is heading to the NHL, because his pro play to date has not indicated that.

2nd rounders:
Going to be VERY interesting to see how Iskhakov does in Mannheim this season. It's an absolutely loaded team and they are going for not only the DEL title, but the Champions Hockey League title as well. Will he thrive and basically do everything and more that Stützle did there the season before last? Or will he get lost in the numbers.

His season in Finland was an overall positive step in his development, as a hot start was tamed by a long drout, only to see him turn it up over the stretch run and in the playoffs.

Speaking of his time in Finland, do denote that he played for the same team as Liukas. So, looks like that pick was another little bit of that typical Islander "prospect-nepotism", much like what we've seen in the past with Waterloo and Sarnia.

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
We do need to see more out of Wilde.

The complicated ankle sprain and his very mediocre "24-game" season in the AHL have basically tempered everyone's expectations.

In his case, the proof will be in the pudding. Dmen need time and he'll get it (if he's not part of a trade), but at some point in the next two seasons, he needs to show that there's something there that is heading to the NHL, because his pro play to date has not indicated that.

2nd rounders:
Going to be VERY interesting to see how Iskhakov does in Mannheim this season. It's an absolutely loaded team and they are going for not only the DEL title, but the Champions Hockey League title as well. Will he thrive and basically do everything and more that Stützle did there the season before last? Or will he get lost in the numbers.

His season in Finland was an overall positive step in his development, as a hot start was tamed by a long drout, only to see him turn it up over the stretch run and in the playoffs.

Speaking of his time in Finland, do denote that he played for the same team as Liukas. So, looks like that pick was another little bit of that typical Islander "prospect-nepotism", much like what we've seen in the past with Waterloo and Sarnia.
his size always bugged me, but there is room for players like this, if they are skilled enough. hopefully he has put on some weight, and is at least 160 lbs... :O

i did not realize that he finished the season strong, and had a good playoffs.

good for him. good for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->