Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
So Räty has 11 points and is the best scorer by three points before his teammate Roni Hirvonen. Only three players have over 5 points.

The Flyers picked Samu Tuomaala, Räty's teammate from Kärpät, before Tuomaala. Tuomaala was projected quite high so the pick itself wasn't that surprising, but he was one of the many players that should've been behind Räty IMO. Tuomaala has one less game played and 1+1=2 (+2). He is not a bad player and those points are about what top-20 picks have scored, but it just emphasizes how well Räty has been producing.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's under contract for one more season in Europe so it's unlikely.

And with COVID and his meh draft season, it's better that he stays in his home country for at least one more season anyway in my opinion. After that, I would say a year in the minors to adjust to NA and learn the "systems"/earn his keep, and then after that I hope he forces Lou/Trotz hand. But it's not like their is a lot of roster spots up for grabs in general (depending on the future of the B4LIH).

scud9

Jun 2, 2006
is there any chance that this kid is signed, and sticks with Bport?
Zero. Like said it before he is signed for pro-contract in Finland and he was drafted at 2nd round. Only way he could be playing in USA is by playing in Islanders. Let him be 1-2 years in Kärpät and bring him over when he is more ready.

scott99

May 13, 2005
How many games do they play. I never knew they played 6+ games in this mini tournament. But all I know is, from the highlights, Raty has a great shot. Also I know that he’s making damned sure they add him to the WJC team this year as opposed to last year. I would guess he would be the 1st line center in December/January.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
is there any chance that this kid is signed, and sticks with Bport?
I think he may well get signed now, but whether he comes over depends on how things are going in Finland. If he is looking at another season buried on the 4th line in Karpat I think they may well look to bring him over sooner rather than later.

Reactions: buud

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Here's the final points of the players that were drafted before Räty in this tournament:

4th pick defender Luke Hughes 0+0=0 (-1) / 2 games
10th pick Tyler Boucher 1+1=2 (-1) / 4 games
13th pick Matthew Coronato 0+2=2 (+0) / 4 games
14th pick Isak Rosen 1+0=1 (-4) / 6 games
18th pick Chaz Lucius 2+0=2 (-1) / 3 games
-----------------------------------------------------------
21st pick Fabian Lysell 0+0=0 (-5) / 6 games
24th pick Matthew Samoskewich 1+1=2 (0) / 2 games
28th pick Oskar Olausson 3+1=4 (-2) / 6 games
36th pick defender Shai Buium 0+0=0 (0) / 1 game
37th pick Josh Doan 0+0=0 (0) / 1 game
40th pick defender Scott Morrow 0+0=0 (-1) / 1 game
44th pick defender Aleksi Heimosalmi 0+1=1 (-3) / 6 games
46th pick Samu Tuomaala 1+1=2 (+2) / 5 games
51st pick Ville Koivunen 1+1=2 (+2) / 6 games
------------------------------------------------------------
52nd pick Aatu Räty 6+8=14 (+8) / 6 games

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I think he may well get signed now, but whether he comes over depends on how things are going in Finland. If he is looking at another season buried on the 4th line in Karpat I think they may well look to bring him over sooner rather than later.

Agreed, sign him now and take advantage of the contract slide, and loan him to Karpat, if they are still burying him then recall him from the loan.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Kärpät only has 4 centers on the roster, Räty will get plenty of icetime

But it's unsure if the team will handle him properly. I'm scared that they will use Räty in the bottom-6 again, but hopefully there's more pressure towards the organisation now. I suppose a bottom-6 place isn't terrible if they give Räty at least one good winger (not juniors or 4th line plugs) and give him plenty of PP time. I've rarely been as disappointed towards my otherwise pretty good FEL team than how they handled Räty in the first half of the previous year.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
But it's unsure if the team will handle him properly. I'm scared that they will use Räty in the bottom-6 again, but hopefully there's more pressure towards the organisation now. I suppose a bottom-6 place isn't terrible if they give Räty at least one good winger (not juniors or 4th line plugs) and give him plenty of PP time. I've rarely been as disappointed towards my otherwise pretty good FEL team than how they handled Räty in the first half of the previous year.
hey, thanks for all the input. i hope you stick around and provide us with updates.

P.S. are you his father? just want to know if your opinion is skewed... :D

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
hey, thanks for all the input. i hope you stick around and provide us with updates.

P.S. are you his father? just want to know if your opinion is skewed... :D

No it's Aatu here :)

I had honestly decided that I won't write here (or anywhere else) for the next few months as I need to concentrate on finishing the jobs for my business. The points chart was supposed to be the last one, but I'll step aside for a while now.

I don't think there's anything that'd skew my opinion to be honest. If something it's the passion that I feel towards top prospects and the annoyment I feel when I see them handled badly. Some FEL fans are of the old "player has to earn" school, but I've seen it so many times how the best results are got if a super prospect gets a bit too much too early and some of the resposibilities are taken off if he continuosly fails at that.

I don't claim to be a pro, but I have hockey history and I feel I've usually (if not always) been correct about what kind of an effect handling done by the team has towards young prospects. At the beginning of last season I was already pretty sure Räty would fail under those conditions, just like I think almost every top prospect would've done.

With Räty the question was his downside and if he manages to bring the best out of him. I've felt none of the other top forward prospects have a higher ceiling so in that sense Räty is just doing what he's supposed to do now. Let's hope it continues well, but a nice start to this season anyway. Now I step aside for a while, all the best to you and other Islanders fans!

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
No it's Aatu here :)

I had honestly decided that I won't write here (or anywhere else) for the next few months as I need to concentrate on finishing the jobs for my business. The points chart was supposed to be the last one, but I'll step aside for a while now.

I don't think there's anything that'd skew my opinion to be honest. If something it's the passion that I feel towards top prospects and the annoyment I feel when I see them handled badly. Some FEL fans are of the old "player has to earn" school, but I've seen it so many times how the best results are got if a super prospect gets a bit too much too early and some of the resposibilities are taken off if he continuosly fails at that.

I don't claim to be a pro, but I have hockey history and I feel I've usually (if not always) been correct about what kind of an effect handling done by the team has towards young prospects. At the beginning of last season I was already pretty sure Räty would fail under those conditions, just like I think almost every top prospect would've done.

With Räty the question was his downside and if he manages to bring the best out of him. I've felt none of the other top forward prospects have a higher ceiling so in that sense Räty is just doing what he's supposed to do now. Let's hope it continues well, but a nice start to this season anyway. Now I step aside for a while, all the best to you and other Islanders fans!
i have coached at the lower levels, but i've always been aa fan of just about all sports. one of the things that i've come to realize, is how important motivation is. and how tricky! some people need a kind word, others need a kick in the ass. it's quite the science.

i think this kid has all the tools, and i have faith that Trotz and LL are going to handle him very well.

another quick question. has he ever shown any kind of 'mental weakness'? like, giving up easy, feeling that he was treated unfairly by the coaching staff, wasn't liked by his mates, etc...

honestly, i feel like the kid is a top round pick, and it's just a matter of time and patience, before we see him on our top line. the only ? is attitude/personality. IMO.

really excited about him!

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
i have coached at the lower levels, but i've always been aa fan of just about all sports. one of the things that i've come to realize, is how important motivation is. and how tricky! some people need a kind word, others need a kick in the ass. it's quite the science.

i think this kid has all the tools, and i have faith that Trotz and LL are going to handle him very well.

another quick question. has he ever shown any kind of 'mental weakness'? like, giving up easy, feeling that he was treated unfairly by the coaching staff, wasn't liked by his mates, etc...

honestly, i feel like the kid is a top round pick, and it's just a matter of time and patience, before we see him on our top line. the only ? is attitude/personality. IMO.

really excited about him!

Exactly, I definitely agree about the motivation too. But it's also about the position where they can actually succeed and maybe keep playing the kind of hockey they've lways been good at. It's unfair to have someone like Räty, who's been the leading guy all his life, and put him to the 4th line with low minutes and no PP usage. I mean what do they expect this will bring? They should realize this will likely lead to low points, Räty getting frustrated with all the pressure from #1 pick talks and then Räty trying to change the way he plays. Then the negative media talk starts, which just adds the pressure.

I honestly haven't followed Räty quite as closely as you think. I mean I know him pretty well hockey wise, but it's not like I've read all the interviews etc. From what I've seen there's no complaints, I think he is a very healthy minded ambitious young guy. A year ago some fans thought Räty had demanded too much at some point, I think it was from some media article after Räty had played a strong preseason, but whatever it was I felt at the time it was a false narrative.

I also honestly think that a player that's projected to be #1 or at least a top-5 pick is allowed to demand a bit from his team. I don't think Räty did enough, or maybe he did and the coach didn't like it and thus gave him no minutes, that's one realistic possibility IMO. Brad Lambert demanded ice time and selected his team according to it and it was no surprise things were easier for him. Now I'll leave this topic like I said, thanks for your message!

Reactions: buud

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not saying he will end up as good but Raty sort of reminds me a bit of Patrice Bergeron. Seems like alot of his goals come from the same area Bergeron scores from(about 10 feet in front of the net)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It is hard not to be excited about Raty when you see goals like this seemingly every day now after he was picked by the Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->