Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
When the 2020-21 season began, many were projecting Aatu Raty as the first overall selection in the 2021 NHL Draft. However, Raty really struggled to start the year and questions were raised about his potential. He got better as the season went on though. Raty put up just three goals and three assists in 33 games for Karpat in the SM Liiga, playing against men in Finland’s top men’s league. However, the 17-year-old was much better when facing opponents his age. He scored three goals and seven points in eight games in the Finnish Under-20 league.

In 2019-20 Raty scored two goals and four points in 12 games in the SM Liiga. He also added two goals and 21 points in 30 games in the Finnish Under-20 league. He had nine points in nine games playing in exhibition tournaments with Finland’s Under-18 team and even made the World Junior Squad as the youngest player in the tournament. As a 17-year old, he scored two goals and three points in the seven-game tournament against the best under-20 players in the world. He also had four points in three games at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup.

2021 NHL Draft #16: Aatu Raty Scouting Report - LWOS

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Very happy with this pick. He's a November 2002 birthday, still only 18. I think its a steal. He played against men for the first time this past season and though he struggled, he was one of the youngest players in the SM Liiga. And, I'm sure all of the hurdles in a pandemic didn't help his development as he tried to play in a men's league for the first time. Has the potential to be a home run steal if we let the kid develop.

scott99

May 13, 2005
This is a GREAT pick. Thrilled with this pick. I think sometimes players get over analyzed, and I think Raty is one of those players. Even with the over analyzing, The Hockey News still had him at 20, Draft Pro had him at 15, and FC had him at 17. This is insane value at 52.

I think he’ll be an excellent #2 center in a few years. Has excellent offensive skills, but still plays well defensively. This was a steal.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Love this pick. By all accounts, this guy has top 10 pick level skills. Even in the final rankings after his stock dropped he was still considered the 3rd best European forward and around 25-30 in the draft overall. To get him at 52 seems like a steal. And we have just about no center prospects in the organization, so this could be huge.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Incredible pick at this stage. My FEL team handled him very badly after a pretty promising preseason. That caused him to be left out from the WJC-20 team, which was also affected by the fact that there was Brad Lambert (potential top pick next year), who got one place and as there were lots of experienced forwards available (e.g. the top scorer a year before was left out) they didn't give another roster place to a youngster. Especially as he wasn't given barely any ice time in his team.

I think this is a case were a lot of scouts got this wrong. For sure it's possible he won't be worth a top10 or even a top20 place, but I'd say he has the potential to become one of the best forwards of this draft.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Seems like a boom or bust pick, I like that considering our lack of prospect depth. Especially at C.

I don't even know if there's real bust threat when picked this low and due to his skills as a 2-way forward. I find it hard to believe he won't at least become a decent NHL player, but the top potential is just huge.

If you guys try to imagine all the worst things a team can do to a top prospect at the beginning of the season trust me my team did all that to Raty. Then the ball started rolling to the wrong direction and in the end this obviously affected his game and confidence too.

E: boom -> bust

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't even know if there's real boom threat when picked this low and due to his skills as a 2-way forward.
I find it hard to believe he won't at least become a decent NHL player, but the top potential is just huge.

If you guys try to imagine all the worst things a team can do to a top prospect at the beginning of the season trust me my team did all that to Raty. Then the ball started rolling to the wrong direction and in the end this obviously affected his game and confidence too.

Boom is the good part, bust is the negative. :laugh:

Reactions: Whyme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->