.520 taper shaft

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
I have an x60 blade but I do not have the x60 shaft. Is there another shaft that will fit the dimensions of the x60 .520 taper for the blade insertion? I've looked online but no luck.. that will suck if I'm required to get an x60. I did get the blade for free though.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
There are only 2 types of shafts, shafts that are tapered (also called "low kick" shafts) and shafts that are not tapered (also called "standard" or sometimes "mid kick" shafts, although honestly the actual kick points can be all over the place with both types of shafts). For a tapered blade you want a tapered shaft, any tapered shaft should do. However, the tenons on Bauer tapered blades (the tenon is the part that goes into the shaft) DO tend to run a touch wider than the tenons/opening from some other companies, best to bring your blade into the shop, any good LHS will install it for you on the spot, and if it doesn't fit I'm sure they'll let you try a different shaft. Or you can always lightly file down the tenon or shaft, the odd time I've had a tenon not fit in a shaft it only required some very light filing that didn't compromise the structural integrity.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
I just want to know what other similar shaft I can buy that will fit my x60 blade. it says .520 so I'm stumped. I don't really want to get an x60 shaft or any shaft over 80.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Isn't .470 tapered and .520 standard? The X:60 is a tapered setup...
.620 is standard, .520 is tapered.

AmazedRink: Any shaft labeled 'Tapered' and not 'Standard' will work. Unfortunately the shafts with a taper are generally only found at the top of the line, so there's not many cheap options out there. They probably start at around $90 and up unless they're on clearance. You can try to find something on clearance perhaps.

Here's a couple I found:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-shaft-dolomite-upgraded-clear-sr.html
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-shaft-dolomite-upgraded-grip-sr.html

One thing to note also, the different companies sometimes differ slightly in the shape and size of the blade hosel and shaft itself. I know I had trouble getting an X:60 blade into my Reebok 8K shaft. The X:60 is a little more square where the 8K is slightly rounded. It was a wood blade so I just shaved the corners of the blade to fit but you can't really do that with composite blades. So I'd generally do my best to match brands but you don't have to.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad