GDT: [#52] Stars @ Pantaloons 6:00 CT (BSSW+)

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
This is why the excuses make no sense. Josi and Tolvanen (their second best forward) led Nashville in even-strength icetime tonight. In Dallas? On Bowness' watch? Lindell (maybe our 4th best defenseman on a good day), and Cogliano (lol). Dallas has 3 players that would lead Nashville in scoring. They've been without Josi, Ellis, Duchene, and Forsberg for lengthy stretches. Even with injuries, Dallas has the better roster. Coaching sinks this shit ship, time and time again.

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
The good news is the the Dallas Stars actually do draft well—e.g. Nichuskin, Campbell, etc. Maybe it’s the development (in the past?) that was the problem...

I've thought this for a while now. You can add Reilly Smith, James Neal, Matt Niskanen, and Jamie Oleksiak to that list too. Who knows how Honka, Nemeth, Brunnstrom, and Glennie could have turned out under different circumstances? All around the same time period.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The good news is the the Dallas Stars actually do draft well—e.g. Nichuskin, Campbell, etc. Maybe it’s the development (in the past?) that was the problem...
More that if you draft guys with attitude problems (Nichushkin) or major confidence problems (Campbell), don’t be surprised when they struggle, flame out, and need years to get things straightened out between the ears.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I've thought this for a while now. You can add Reilly Smith, James Neal, Matt Niskanen, and Jamie Oleksiak to that list too. Who knows how Honka, Nemeth, Brunnstrom, and Glennie could have turned out under different circumstances? All around the same time period.

Glennie was never going to have an NHL career. The rest, who knows. Glennie was a bad pick from day one.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
What a frustrating season it’s been, but with Seguin, Radulov, and Bishop out most of the season I’m happy that we were in the running until the end of the season. This offseason and next year are going to be interesting. Lots of contracts coming to an end

serp

Jan 17, 2016
#1 priority at either draft is to tell Khudobin to get the hell out. He clearly can't play the amount he's been asked to and there simply is no roster spot for him moving forward.

It's not even the amount of games. He just can't be the #1. He didn't play that much less when Bishop was the starter . I don't know if he feels pressure when he's the #1 but he's been clearly so much worse than the 22 year old rookie

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's not even the amount of games. He just can't be the #1. He didn't play that much less when Bishop was the starter . I don't know if he feels pressure when he's the #1 but he's been clearly so much worse than the 22 year old rookie

I don’t think its so much the number of games but more the timeframe - he’s never had a workload like this before. The pressure is valid, too.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don’t think its so much the number of games but more the timeframe - he’s never had a workload like this before. The pressure is valid, too.

Didn't he play like 15 ish games straight in his first year because Bishop was injured ? Khudobin is 21st in minutes played this year . He's not getting overworked. He just hasn't been that good this year.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Robertson now officially has more points in his rookie year than Benn and Klingberg had ( in less games ) . The only guy who had more points in his rookie season in Dallas is Jussi Jokinen with 55 . Not enough games this shortened season for him to get there.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
And JRob would be even further behind JJ, if they included shoot out goals, LOL.

But, good to see an impressive rookie year from an offensively gifted, guy with hockey sense, who tries to hit and play a bit of D, on the Stars. Keep those kind coming!

As to Dobby, yeah, down a bit. Had a few stretches where his techinque seemed off, but was corrected, and seems a bit less good these last few games, but I am not looking up actual stats on that one. We have to consider that, even with the same personell on D, with the mish mash of forwards, who are important to the D scheme, maybe the team in front of him wasn't as consistently good at defending either.

Still, all things considered, he will be gone, unless Bishop really has an injury problem we don't know about. I strongly disagree with those who are so disgusted by Dobby's performance this year that we should just give him away. Goalies don't always fetch great returns, but even a 5-6-7 pick would possibly be worth something down the road.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
And JRob would be even further behind JJ, if they included shoot out goals, LOL.

But, good to see an impressive rookie year from an offensively gifted, guy with hockey sense, who tries to hit and play a bit of D, on the Stars. Keep those kind coming!

As to Dobby, yeah, down a bit. Had a few stretches where his techinque seemed off, but was corrected, and seems a bit less good these last few games, but I am not looking up actual stats on that one. We have to consider that, even with the same personell on D, with the mish mash of forwards, who are important to the D scheme, maybe the team in front of him wasn't as consistently good at defending either.

Still, all things considered, he will be gone, unless Bishop really has an injury problem we don't know about. I strongly disagree with those who are so disgusted by Dobby's performance this year that we should just give him away. Goalies don't always fetch great returns, but even a 5-6-7 pick would possibly be worth something down the road.

I'm not confident anyone will offer a late round pick for Dobby.

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Dobby has been consistently inconsistent

Last five games:
SV% .733 / .971 / .833 / .941 / .667
GA 4 / 1 / 5 / 1 / 3

Month-to-month
January – 3-1-1 .922 / 2.17
February – 1-4-0 .910 / 3.26
March – 2-4-3 .891 / 2.39
April – 5-1-2 .910 / 2.22

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Khudobin might be a guy who is hurt by the team basically never practising because his technique , which was never his strong suit to begin with , is starting to slip rather easily without regular practises . IRC thats what Shapiro speculated could be a factor when he was on the Hockey PDO cast .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I'm not confident anyone will offer a late round pick for Dobby.

Not sure why you are overly pessimistic. It seems like every year, at least some teams are unhappy with either their starter or backup, and Dobby could easily fill the bill, although obviously a bit more easily as his 1B position here last year.

Kraken are rumored to be eyeing Chris Driedger as their top goalie, which makes some sense. We never thought Dobby would be the first choice there, lowering his value. I tried to quickly find a list of goalie trades, but couldn't in the limited time I had.

I did see Dobby's stats put him as the 32nd ranked goalie this year (Otter is 13) which puts him right at his 1B or 2A status throughout his career.

Last edited:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Not sure why you are overly pessimistic. It seems like every year, at least some teams are unhappy with either their starter or backup, and Dobby could easily fill the bill, although obviously a bit more easily as his 1B position here last year.

Kraken are rumored to be eyeing Chris Driedger as their top goalie, which makes some sense. We never thought Dobby would be the first choice there, lowering his value. I tried to quickly find a list of goalie trades, but couldn't in the limited time I had.

I did see Dobby's stats put him as the 32nd ranked goalie this year (Otter is 13) which puts him right at his 1B or 2A status throughout his career.

Very few teams have cap space and/or room in the budget league wide. Unless the player is really special, I just think it's tough to see teams absorbing salary without sending money back.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Meh , although I’ve liked the stars last few drafts , I wouldn’t really have any interest in bringing either of those guys back .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Khudobins always been either on or off . One game he’s a brick wall and the next he couldn’t stop a beach ball . One thing that’s the same each game though is that he struggles with handling easy shots .

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad