GDT: [#52] Dallas Stars @ New York Rangers, 6:00 PM CST (FSSW+, ESPN+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
4pm Pacific start for this one (and tomorrow) makes it tricky to watch. Not sure even I can sneak away from work that early :laugh:

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Man more changes in fwd lines...at some point you neee to allow players to get familiar with each other.

Going to be a disadvantage come playoff time..we will have minimal chemistrt amongst our lines, compared to the avs and blues who will be in sync and familiar with each other.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Man more changes in fwd lines...at some point you neee to allow players to get familiar with each other.

Going to be a disadvantage come playoff time..we will have minimal chemistrt amongst our lines, compared to the avs and blues who will be in sync and familiar with each other.
or more advantageous when injuries happen and everyone can play with everyone without significant adjustment time.

Also Benn and Seguin have played together for years (rads now too) and when all 3 are together they look like hot garbage,
Chemistry is important but there isn't any 2 players, let alone 3 players who gel together in an offensive capacity

Reactions: eartotheground

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
What's up gentleman...longtime Ranger fan coming here in peace obviously. Looking forward to tonight's game tho whenever we play you, it's always a gritty tough fought game. Main reason I'm here is this tho:

Wasn't so long ago that when the Rangers played the Stars, the main guy we'd have to shut down was Jamie Benn. Not exactly sure what has happened to him the past few years but he is far from elite these days and in fact has been downright mediocre at best.

From 2013 to 2017, Benn was an absolute stud and pretty much a point per game guy and he even won an Art Ross.

The new Benn of the past two years has 41 goals-37 assists-78 points in his last 129 games which is a very pedestrian 0.60 ppg pace.

Now I know all you guys know these stats but figured I'd toss them out there in just in case.

Is it the system he plays in now? Has the money effected his work ethic? Is he injured more than is known?

I don't know what happened to him and figured maybe one of you Stars fans or even Benn fantasy owners who follow him closer than I do seeing I never owned him ever can tell me what the heck has happened to this former stud.

Anyways thx in advance fellas for any input....cheers and let's have a good one tonight!!!

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
What's up gentleman...longtime Ranger fan coming here in peace obviously. Looking forward to tonight's game tho whenever we play you, it's always a gritty tough fought game. Main reason I'm here is this tho:

Wasn't so long ago that when the Rangers played the Stars, the main guy we'd have to shut down was Jamie Benn. Not exactly sure what has happened to him the past few years but he is far from elite these days and in fact has been downright mediocre at best.

From 2013 to 2017, Benn was an absolute stud and pretty much a point per game guy and he even won an Art Ross.

The new Benn of the past two years has 37 points in his last 129 games and that is not a mis-print.

Now I know all you guys know these stats but figured I'd toss them out there in just in case.

Is it the system he plays in now? Has the money effected his work ethic? Is he injured more than is known?

I don't know what happened to him and figured maybe one of you Stars fans or even Benn fantasy owners who follow him closer than I do seeing I never owned him ever can tell me what the heck has happened to this former stud.

Anyways thx in advance fellas for any input....cheers and let's have a good one tonight!!!

That has to be a misprint. You're saying that he has 37 points in his last 129 games. That means you take away his 25 points and 51 games this season and you have it down that he has 12 points over a 78 game span to end last season. Do you mean goals or something? Cause it's certainly not points. I think we'd all know if he began last season with 41 points in 4 games. He has 70 points I believe in his last 129 games. Still not good, but not 37 points level bad. Add in his first 4 games of last season and its 78 points in 133 games.

He does however have 37 goals over his last 129 games

To answer your question though, I think it's a combination of everything. He can't play the way he used to every night his body just won't physically allow it I'm sure..he seems to play better whenever the team has a bit of a break. He still shows up and dominates every once in a while so he's just a player in decline. His playstyle just could not be maintained although sometimes he makes some really lazy and dumb mistakes that end up costly which has nothing to do with his playstyle so there's some effort and contract comfort issues I'm sure too

Also what are Benn's career stats against the Rangers? Doesn't he only have 1 goal against them in his career or something? I remember it took him forever to score against them

Last edited:
Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
That has to be a misprint. You're saying that he has 37 points in his last 129 games. That means you take away his 25 points and 51 games this season and you have it down that he has 12 points over a 78 game span to end last season. Do you mean goals or something? Cause it's certainly not points. I think we'd all know if he began last season with 41 points in 4 games. He has 70 points I believe in his last 129 games. Still not good, but not 37 points level bad. Add in his first 4 games of last season and its 78 points in 133 games.

He does however have 37 goals over his last 129 games

My bad...it was a missprint. ...the 37 was for assists the past two years...I omitted the only 41 goals for some bizarre reason. But yeah 78 points in 129 games is a very mediocre as it's a 0.60 pace which extrapolated over an 82 game season is 49-50 points for the year.

That aint the Jamie Benn I know or you know that's for dang sure!!

As an comparison. I used to be a huge Mike Modano fan...huge. Had him in fantasy back when he was in his prime. Now I'm not saying Benn is even close to Modano but as a comparison, what has happened to Benn over the past 2 years would be like Modano at age 30 all of a sudden going from stud to what Jere Lehtinen was offensively...ya follow? Lehtinen was an excellent complimentary player and was great at doing all the little things and Modano loved playing with him.

But offensively Lehtinin was what he was...a 45-50 point guy. That's what Benn has somehow turned into...Jere Lehtinen and he is ALOT better. I don't know, it just doesn't make sense. Some of my buddies on my Ranger board think it was the $76 million that has caused this downward spiral. Who the heck knows. I like Benn alot and would love to see him back to his former ways as you guys do.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Not sure what else can be said.

Yeah, Benn is getting paid for what he did and not what he is doing now, like alot of high profile FAs. We wish he was a 70 point guy still, but he's not.

And comparing him to JL at any point in either players' career doesn't make sense.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Not sure what else can be said.

Yeah, Benn is getting paid for what he did and not what he is doing now, like alot of high profile FAs. We wish he was a 70 point guy still, but he's not.

And comparing him to JL at any point in either players' career doesn't make sense.

Maybe my comparison didn't come thru the way I was attempting too. I'll try one more time.

What has gone on for Benn the past almost two years going from a 70-80 point guy to more of a 50 point guy while he should be still smack dab in the middle to later end of his prime would have been like Modano back in let's say 2002 still in his later prime years all of a sudden going from 70-80 points which he usually had to more like Jere Lehtinen type of scoring pace which was more like 45-50 points back than....ya follow?

Hopefully that better explains where I was coming from.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
For some reason I feel mildly optimistic about this game. Like the boys might just turn up and do the business. Don't know why.

Reactions: Satan

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Maybe my comparison didn't come thru the way I was attempting too. I'll try one more time.

What has gone on for Benn the past almost two years going from a 70-80 point guy to more of a 50 point guy while he should be still smack dab in the middle to later end of his prime would have been like Modano back in let's say 2002 still in his later prime years all of a sudden going from 70-80 points which he usually had to more like Jere Lehtinen type of scoring pace which was more like 45-50 points back than....ya follow?

Hopefully that better explains where I was coming from.
I don't know why Jere Lehtinen is getting dragged through the mud here.
Lehtinen was a more complete player than Benn has ever/ will ever be.
Yes Benn has the better offensive numbers, and is certainly a flashier player, but I wouldn't ever refer to Benn as "ALOT better" though he absolutely does do some things better than Lehtinen did.

That said the reason for his scoring decline, is 2-3things.
One is the teams system.
It is a horrible system for offensive production. the only players who appear to be producing well, are players who are fast enough to score off the rush. That is why everyone on the team is having a down year, the offensive system is a joke, watch this team get setup in the offensive zone.
On the rare occasion they do, it is, pass the puck around forever, getting 0 shots. Shot from a low percentage area that doesn't get through traffic/blocked, or turn it over.
The PP is the same way. On more stagnate PK's (where they sit back) it works because of having 1 extra player. But it is horrible overall.

The Second reason is effort
he has always had periods of laziness, even when the system was more accommodating offensively. He would just float around for long periods of time, he got paid, for a nice long time and his effort level plummeted quite a bit more than his norm. When he decides to put in effort, he can still be a difference maker, but most days in just isn't there.

The third is Style of play
Modano, and Lehtinen didn't play an overly physical game like Benn does, and that style does take its toll on a players body, that coupled with his double hip surgery (IIRC) could also be a factor in both his lack of effort most nights, and the overall drop off. Tons of players who play a physical style drop off in their early 30's. There is exceptions but typically a power forward doesn't last as long as a more skill based forward will.

4th call it a wildcard
The organization has spent the better parts of 2 years, talking about how bad they(Benn and Seguin) are calling them out after games, calling them horseshit, etc. They've been hearing how the team regrets giving them the contracts and so on. It doesn't inspire a lot of reason to put in a ton of extra effort or fight through injuries/pain, regardless if some of it is warranted or not.
Yes every player goes through it to some degree, but the railroading by the team the last couple of years is above what your average player goes through. Nor is it really media talking/speculation like you'd get in Toronto/Montreal, this is people high up in the organization dogging on them constantly. I'd assume it too, plays a factor, as it would with 90% of people

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Great write up dude...awesome shit that makes perfect sense. Thx for the input.

GL tonight...no injuries to any of our guys and no doubt Benn gets a hatty to shut my ass up for trashing him...lol. We'll see...cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->