Post-Game Talk: 51| New York Rangers @ New York Islanders | May 1st | 7:00 PM | F/W 3-0

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
this isn't true, I have had some good conversations with Rags fans.

I can wish their team no success but still be objective and recognize that they have a lot of good peices

you guys are hysterical sometimes. I forget you are all jaded New Yorkers and I am a blissfully ignorant, friendly to a fault Canadian ;P
I think the "you are all New Yorkers" part hits it on the head. If you grew up with the Isles-Rags rivalry in the neighborhood and school, especially the older fans, there is no way you'd be going to their board with kind words and discussion.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I think the "you are all New Yorkers" part hits it on the head. If you grew up with the Isles-Rags rivalry in the neighborhood and school, especially the older fans, there is no way you'd be going to their board with kind words and discussion.
It also just comes across as patronizing. There’s a certain etiquette on message boards that isn’t a 1:1 tie with real life. For example, I have Ranger fan friends who I can act friendly with after a game, say “good game” etc. But nobody wants to see that on a message board lol

Reactions: beach

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So only posts that highlight positive results are well-grounded and those that dare to mention potential areas of concern are drama? Is that the way it works. Good to know.

And the Rags have never been in playoff position this entire season, not even for a day.
Nope, but the number of unique posters seems to increase dramatically when things aren’t going well. They are more than happy to point out what is wrong...but seem to disappear when things are going well.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Only a few games ago people were suggesting Sorokin was our number one.
Seems like his rise has really lit a fire under Varly, he's gone to another level.

Reactions: beach

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
Nope, but the number of unique posters seems to increase dramatically when things aren’t going well. They are more than happy to point out what is wrong...but seem to disappear when things are going well.
I'm much more reader than poster but perhaps that's because there is not a lot to say about things going well against the likes of the Sabres and Devils because it doesn't mean much for a team with supposed Cup aspirations, whereas embarrassing losses at critical times against our true rivals rightly invites scrutiny. If the Isles had beaten the Caps and Bruins down the stretch then I'm sure the board would have been lit up with enthusiastic posts from all camps but that's not what happened.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Not to mention the amount of accounts that pop out of nowhere pretending to be different than accounts that are already posting here.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
It also just comes across as patronizing. There’s a certain etiquette on message boards that isn’t a 1:1 tie with real life. For example, I have Ranger fan friends who I can act friendly with after a game, say “good game” etc. But nobody wants to see that on a message board lol
Well for the record I think you are coming across as an asshole

legit bemusing that posters creep the rags board then come whine here that certain islander fans shoot the shit with them... without naming names of course.

we shoot the shit with sid the kidney, it is no different

question my integrity as a fan all you'd like, but from my POV anyone criticizing me for being able to objectively evaluate a team's roster and be civil with rival fans is a gatekeeper

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Well for the record I think you are coming across as an asshole

legit bemusing that posters creep the rags board then come whine here that certain islander fans shoot the shit with them... without naming names of course.

we shoot the shit with sid the kidney, it is no different

question my integrity as a fan all you'd like, but from my POV anyone criticizing me for being able to objectively evaluate a team's roster and be civil with rival fans is a gatekeeper

Zeeker is no asshole, he and many others, are emotionally invested into this team.

I usually the Rags forum after our games, since that’s the only time when people are honest (... and it’s also satisfying observing their meltdown, not gonna lie). The Rags obviously got some major flaws in their lineup, but you will never see them talk about their issues when it’s all happy times.

I like the Isles and despise the Rags. I’m not from the NYC area, nor from North America. But the fact still stands, the Isles and the Rags are rivals, competitors. Posting on their forum, downplaying our performance and wishing them best of luck is just bad taste (going both ways) - and it got nothing to do with “kindness”. I can only talk for myself, but if we lose a game and someone from the other fan base invade our forum telling us how good we will be next season I would get annoyed.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It's all about frequency, if you shoot the shit with other fans all the time then you can be accepted by them.

If you only poke in on them / their board after your team's win - then it can be seen as inflammatory even if the intent wasn't (this goes for HF Isles too).

Sid the Kidney is always around, whether we're good, suck or playing the Pens.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Zeeker is no asshole, he and many others, are emotionally invested into this team.

I usually the Rags forum after our games, since that’s the only time when people are honest (... and it’s also satisfying observing their meltdown, not gonna lie). The Rags obviously got some major flaws in their lineup, but you will never see them talk about their issues when it’s all happy times.

I like the Isles and despise the Rags. I’m not from the NYC area, nor from North America. But the fact still stands, the Isles and the Rags are rivals, competitors. Posting on their forum, downplaying our performance and wishing them best of luck is just bad taste (going both ways) - and it got nothing to do with “kindness”. I can only talk for myself, but if we lose a game and someone from the other fan base invade our forum telling us how good we will be next season I would get annoyed.
I am not going to defend my conduct on this msg board beyond what I have already posted

I could care less what Rag fans think of me, I post on their forums semi-regularly because I like a few of their players (Zib, Breadman, Fox, Strome). I do think they have a good little core, if you compare their rebuild to say, New Jersey or Philly's efforts. If you guys think I am some stealth ranger homer or farming for likes on a random hockey board, go ahead I suppose.

I spend 99% of my time on this board talking isles hockey. it upsets me that people question my integrity as a fan because I like to be nice to people and talk hockey around the league.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
this isn't true, I have had some good conversations with Rags fans.

I can wish their team no success but still be objective and recognize that they have a lot of good pieces

you guys are hysterical sometimes. I forget you are all jaded New Yorkers and I am a blissfully ignorant, friendly to a fault Canadian ;P

Well at least we've identified the issue...

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I enjoy glazing over the rags board i must admit. it's fun to watch them break down. I grew up with a lot of rags fans and there was constant ribbing back and forth, all in good fun

I get most of my hydration out of it...
meriwether-home-garden-kitchen-dining-tableware-drinkware-mugs-i-drink-the-tears-of-my-enemies-ceramic-mug-3601209065541_1024x1024.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->