Post-Game Talk: #51 - 02/03/20 | stars @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I mean I didn't get to see this game, but from the numbers it looks like we outshot Dallas, Kakko and fox got on the scoresheet, and Hank had a stinker.

Is that a fairly accurate appraisal? Because if so it's hard to be shook up about that outcome.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
but I’m very very concerned we’re going to get this wrong. We’re going to move on from Kreider and Fast and make guys like Buch and Strome longer term players here and we’ll go absolutely nowhere. 2 guys the type that make a living playing on the bad teams of this league.
We have no idea of how things will shake out We are just speculating.

For me, I can actually say that I cannot see them giving a long term deal to Buchnevich.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Close i would say 7-9 range. Buffalo still amazes me how bad they are. Minn is pretty bad too plus the obvious Detroit New Jersey Ottawa Anaheim San Jose Los Angeles. Montreal probably does enough to pass us

Yea, 5 is easy to predict after one particularly bad game but that prediction doesn't sync up with how we consistently play teams tough and win a fair amount of games. Other teams are worse.

Feels like we need 1-2 experienced bottom 6 forwards who can play all over the ice and 1 more dman who actually is good at d for the top 4.

Can we dedicate 10-14 M in cap to that bt the next 2 off seasons? Getting hank and Staal off the books. That'll help. Hopefully we're smart enough to sell high on strome rather than pay him.

We cant just cross our fingers that all our young guns magically get it bc of experience. I think quite a few of them either dont have the brains or skill to play a more complete game...or d at an nhl level.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
he should retire.

Lundqvist is choosing to go out this way.
8.5 Million reasons for that...I doubt anyone of us would do it any differently and would hang tough for the money . I would hate to count how many lifetimes it would take for me to accumulate that kind of coin !!! If he played 1/3 of games next season....he gets about 315,000.00 a game . If he wins a third of his starts he gets little over 900,000 per win . Probably makes staying easier...

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why? He should either retire, agree to a trade at 50% off, or be bought out. I mean, the idea of keeping him on the roster with the holes and his full cap hit is unfathomable to me. We will lose actual assets by keeping him around.

And why? Just for his legacy's sake?
1) Because management will not buy out a player who is so important to the franchise history as Henke

2) Because Henke has no desire to be traded and play in another city.

3) Why would he agree to a 50% reduction in his contract? Nevermind that a contract cannot even be so altered.
I said repeatedly that term was the problem with it. I remember a few on here vehemently disagreeing with me. But my opinion on that contract runs very deep and was very well publicized, haha!
You signed one of the best, if not the best, goalie in the NHL to a market level deal. Want to go back and redo the past? Then there are no runs to the finals or the conference finals.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I said repeatedly that term was the problem with it. I remember a few on here vehemently disagreeing with me. But my opinion on that contract runs very deep and was very well publicized, haha! :)
I was always with you there. He got 8 years (edit: 7, I had 8 in my head bc of the money) with several of them going well into his twilight. If you want the 8.5 with a NMC it should've been for 6 years

But that WAS the market bc NHL Gm's are idiots.

Last edited:

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I’d 100 percent add Buchy to that. I still think Skjei is a top 4 dman on a good team that gets criticized way more than he should but every fan base does this to their big minute Dmen.

but I’m very very concerned we’re going to get this wrong. We’re going to move on from Kreider and Fast and make guys like Buch and Strome longer term players here and we’ll go absolutely nowhere. 2 guys the type that make a living playing on the bad teams of this league.
I agree with this. Unless the organization makes them go on a serious weight and strength training regimen. They lack strength and seem to be pushed off the puck. Just flicking wrist shots into other players. They’re basically adds in a trade package on a well managed. It sadly describes more players then not on the team.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
Why? He should either retire, agree to a trade at 50% off, or be bought out. I mean, the idea of keeping him on the roster with the holes and his full cap hit is unfathomable to me. We will lose actual assets by keeping him around.

And why? Just for his legacy's sake?

AGREED. Just to add, Eli Manning has an ACTUAL legacy that matters - championships - and he was benched early in the year and is now retired. Jeter started to falter a few years before retiring and there was serious buzz about the end being near for him and not being resigned, even after 4 championships (he rebounded nicely and played well again). Even Leetch who won us a Cup got moved at the end.

I'm a huge Hank fan but compiling great stats without a championship is not the same kind of "legacy" so he doesn't get the royal treatment. No one's ego should hold back an organizational rebuild. Thanks for everything, it's time to go.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
I said it when Hank signed his MEGA deal. One year too many and it will get ugly. Not much to do though

Signing ANY goalie to a mega deal is a problem in this sport. Goalies are not the QBs of hockey the are the RB/WRs of hockey. Look at the standings, how many HOF goalies in first place? Hell Pittsburgh found yet another guy lighting it up out of nowhere and two no-names in Columbus have a combined .935 sv %.

Hockey is not like other sports, elite goalies are not needed to win. Same as RBs and WRs in the NFL don't matter for winning - both SB teams had no-name RBs and only one elite WR who wasn't even a factor in the game.

In hockey you just need a hot goalie at the right time.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
8.5 Million reasons for that...I doubt anyone of us would do it any differently and would hang tough for the money . I would hate to count how many lifetimes it would take for me to accumulate that kind of coin !!! If he played 1/3 of games next season....he gets about 315,000.00 a game . If he wins a third of his starts he gets little over 900,000 per win . Probably makes staying easier...

He's made over $100 million so this isn't about money. Like i said, he wanted it this way. So any embarrassment or ridicule he deserves b/c he's selfishly clogging up an extra roster spot for a team clearly in rebuild.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I was always with you there. He got 8 years (edit: 7, I had 8 in my head bc of the money) with several of them going well into his twilight. If you want the 8.5 with a NMC it should've been for 6 years

But that WAS the market bc NHL Gm's are idiots.
Yes, NHL GMs are idiots. Funny how this board is littered with those that would have made more intelligent choices, and yet somehow were not offered such positions at the NHL level. Why is that?

Ok. Let's bite. 6 years or less was not on the table. Henke walks because of disagreement with the contract. Now what? Do you believe that subbing anyone would still result in one of the best periods in franchise history?

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad