50 Years from now, NHL History books, Top 3 players mentioned (from this era)

delled

Oct 3, 2009
Top 3 players however highest points total doesn't matter, we're talking about the archetype or style of current players, which 3 players represent this era (last decade) the best? Who has made enough difference in this era to be mentioned 50 years from now when you factor in prodigies that will emerge in the next 5 years? I believe the answer rests upon style of play as opposed to number of points.

Stats nerds will always talk about who is best among eras based on some stupid calculations on how their peers did, but I don't care about that in this thread. Style of play. 50 years from now. Who is mentioned? All I know is, Datsyuk will be mentioned by historians. Possibly Ovy too. I feel McDavid will wash out Crosby's accomplishments.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ovechkin and Crosby are the easy 2 to mention, they'll definitely be remembered in 50 years. Maybe McDavid will be the 3rd, but it's way too premature to say anything (and LOL at McDavid washing out Crosby's accomplishments before he even has played a game).

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Everyone who was on the blackhawks roster since 2010 (or before) that has won 3 cups deserves to be mentioned then.

Nope. Being the captain and undisputed 1C on a cup team is entirely different than what you are implying.

The irony is Toews is overrated in regards to being mentioned as perhaps being greater than Crosby but is underrated by statements like this.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
1) Crosby, mainly because of the Golden goals. Just like Henderson.

2) Lidstrom because he was the best complete defenseman in his time. Arguably of all time.

3) Price is the closest thing to a modern Hasek

4) Ovechkin is the Bossy of our time

5) Toews is the closest thing to a Federov, I guess.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

2) Lidstrom because he was the best complete defenseman in his time. Arguably of all time.

Disagree on 5, the closest player to Fedorov is obviously Datsyuk.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

Not yet...

Sid
Ovy
Karlsson if he continues producing like he does.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovechkin
Crosby

Pick from any of twenty players:
Kane (Cup winning goal, tons of clutch playoff goals)
Toews
Lidstrom
Subban
Price
Malkin
Etc., etc.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Ovechkin
Crosby
Sedins

I just personally have this feeling that the Sedin's are going to get a crap ton of love once they retire. We will start to here about how they "revolutionized the game"

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Karlsson got a bit of a head start on Keith in terms of great play at an early age. He'll be remembered as the premier defensemen of this era barring injuries.

Can't see Toews being close to a top-3. Assuming Ovechkin/Crosby is the top-2 in either order, and Keith/Karlsson/Malkin rounding out the top-5, Toews would still probably be below Datsyuk, Lundqvist, and possibly Price.

Won't speculate on McDavid or Eichel, and Lidstrom/Brodeur are probably better suited for the late 90's/early 2000s time frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad