50 wins possible for Rinne?

dubgeek

Mar 1, 2012
Franklin, TN
I crunched the numbers down and prorated his pace, which wasn't difficult (I could do it without a calculator) since all I had to do was to multiply everything by two.

Nashville 41 gp 28 wins 9 losses 4 ot losses 60 points

Pekka Rinne 36 games 28 wins 6 losses 2 ot losses 72 goals allowed Gaa 1.98 SV% 93.0
Carter Hutton 5 gp 0 wins 3 losses 2 ot losses 14 goals allowed GAA 2.75 SV% 89.9

Prorated

Nashville 82 gp 56 wins 18 losses 8 OTL 120 points

Pekka Rinne 72 games played 56 wins 12 losses 4 ot losses 144 goals allowed
Carter Hutton 10 gp 0 wins 6 losses 4 ot losses 28 goals allowed

These are just numbers and multiplications, but I find them interesting still. I have no idea which categories will change the most during the season. Most likely if and when Nashville is close to securing a really good playoff position, it could mean that Rinne plays less games. This might not still be true, since as someone mentioned before, Rinne likes to play in the majority of the games and 72 would not set a new record for him in games played in a season.

Whatever the final result will be, the amount of wins he has is amazing at the moment. I was amazed when I compared his wins to losses ratio compared to all the other big game goalies in the league this season. Rinne has 4 or more wins for every loss while most of the goalies just below him have a ratio of 2 wins to 1 loss.

Also, here is a list of goalies who have had the most wins in a season, just for comparisons sake.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/most-wins-in-one-season-by-nhl-goalies.html

The problem with this calculation is it doesn't factor in that in the 3 back to backs the Predators have had to date they were preceded and or followed by multiple days off affording Rinne the chance to start both games a couple times. This isn't the case for the six back-to-backs to come, so he won't get the same number of starts as in the first half.

Now, with the injury (looked like he tweaked his right knee) I bet his sits the next game or two at least.

Still. IF he and the team maintain their current level of play I think he'll get the 50 wins. I don't expect that to happen, though. I keep waiting for them to drop off a bit, but it's just not happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad