50 wins possible for Rinne?

Brodin Show

Aug 15, 2014
He's got three more games against Minnesota, so that leaves around 20 more wins after that, so I think he can do it.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I crunched the numbers down and prorated his pace, which wasn't difficult (I could do it without a calculator) since all I had to do was to multiply everything by two.

Nashville 41 gp 28 wins 9 losses 4 ot losses 60 points

Pekka Rinne 36 games 28 wins 6 losses 2 ot losses 72 goals allowed Gaa 1.98 SV% 93.0
Carter Hutton 5 gp 0 wins 3 losses 2 ot losses 14 goals allowed GAA 2.75 SV% 89.9

Prorated

Nashville 82 gp 56 wins 18 losses 8 OTL 120 points

Pekka Rinne 72 games played 56 wins 12 losses 4 ot losses 144 goals allowed
Carter Hutton 10 gp 0 wins 6 losses 4 ot losses 28 goals allowed

These are just numbers and multiplications, but I find them interesting still. I have no idea which categories will change the most during the season. Most likely if and when Nashville is close to securing a really good playoff position, it could mean that Rinne plays less games. This might not still be true, since as someone mentioned before, Rinne likes to play in the majority of the games and 72 would not set a new record for him in games played in a season.

Whatever the final result will be, the amount of wins he has is amazing at the moment. I was amazed when I compared his wins to losses ratio compared to all the other big game goalies in the league this season. Rinne has 4 or more wins for every loss while most of the goalies just below him have a ratio of 2 wins to 1 loss.

Also, here is a list of goalies who have had the most wins in a season, just for comparisons sake.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/most-wins-in-one-season-by-nhl-goalies.html

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Rinne close to set a new milestone record

NSH is 28-9-4 and Rinne is 28-6-2. His back-up goalies are left with 0-3-2. Quite impressing. If he maintains this level of play and finishes with over 50 wins, could you see him winning the Hart Trophy? Last time that was given to goalie in 2001-02, Jose Theodore.

Last edited:

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
NSH is 28-9-4 and Rinne is 28-6-2. His back-up goalies are left with 0-3-2. Quite impressing. If he maintains this level of play and finishes with over 50 wins, could you see him winning the Hart Trophy? Last time that was given to goalie in 2001-02, Jose Theodore.

If he breaks the NHL record for wins, how could he not get the Hart? It'd be like a forward scoring 110 goals and not getting the Hart.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
If he breaks the NHL record for wins, how could he not get the Hart? It'd be like a forward scoring 110 goals and not getting the Hart.

Except that a forward has much more individual control over scoring 110 goals, while a goaltender has much less individual control over winning 50 games.

And except that 110 goals is 20% more than the current NHL record, while 50 wins is 4% more than the current record.

And except that forwards regularly win the Hart Trophy, while goalies are usually an afterthought.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
It would be incredible to see. I think he finishes with next to his career peak thus far. Then again, if his sv% holds and his team can continue scoring.....

The guy is fantastic. It's pretty remarkable to think about his hip infection and the way he's bounced back from the time off. He had what, month+ of last season in his return and that was it? Incredible.

May 23, 2012
i just noticed these guys have 60 pts. How?

What's different this year than in previous years?

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Rinne just left the ice after a collision with Chris Higgins behind the goal. I hope he's okay.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
i just noticed these guys have 60 pts. How?

What's different this year than in previous years?

Pekka Rinne has been healthy and they added a ton of offensively talented players along with a offensive-minded coach without losing the good defensive habits that Trotz instilled in them over the years.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Even with his injury (hopefully very minor), he still recorded the win. His 29th win... considering Nashville has played 42 games this season, he is on a RIDICULOUS pace of 57 wins this season. Assuming he is healthy, he can cool off dramatically and still break the record.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I hope he is OK. He's now described as "day-to-day". I really hope his incredible season is not ruined by injuries. Dude deserves his Vezina.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Pekka Rinne has been healthy and they added a ton of offensively talented players along with a offensive-minded coach without losing the good defensive habits that Trotz instilled in them over the years.

I wouldnt say added a ton of offensive players-Ribeiro, Jokinen and Roy were the 3 FA forwards. Robs has been good, Roy waived, Jokinen ok.

The kids-Forsberg, Wilson, and Smith have confidence, not afraid of being benched if they screw up.

Defence is more active, and Ellis, Ekholm, and Jones are getting better. People forget how young they all are

and a healthy Rinne-the biggest thing

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Jokinen OK? I know he's been solid on the PK and defensive game. But his offense is pretty much gone.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I wouldnt say added a ton of offensive players-Ribeiro, Jokinen and Roy were the 3 FA forwards. Robs has been good, Roy waived, Jokinen ok.

The kids-Forsberg, Wilson, and Smith have confidence, not afraid of being benched if they screw up.

Defence is more active, and Ellis, Ekholm, and Jones are getting better. People forget how young they all are

and a healthy Rinne-the biggest thing

I didn't mean that you just added offensive players via FA. I would say Neal was a big add for you guys even if it was via trade and Forsberg was a big addition as a full-time player from your prospect pool.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Nashville should probably look into getting a capable backup. No need to run Rinne into the ground before the playoffs.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Nashville should probably look into getting a capable backup. No need to run Rinne into the ground before the playoffs.
Hutton wasn't terrible when Rinne was injured last season. If he's doing nothing more than playing a few back ends of back-to-backs and some spot starts here and there to give Rinne a rest, he shouldn't be a big problem.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Hutton wasn't terrible when Rinne was injured last season. If he's doing nothing more than playing a few back ends of back-to-backs and some spot starts here and there to give Rinne a rest, he shouldn't be a big problem.

I agree. Hutton is a good backup. No goalie is going to play really well when they only get one game per month. Hutton's MO is to let in a soft goal early, then settle in a play a solid game. Pretty much what you would expect from someone shaking off the rust.

I think that Peks will get the record. The Preds are showing no signs of tapering off; just the opposite really. The PP and PK have been good lately, and the offense has heated up. I don't expect the Preds to have the opportunity to coast into the playoffs due to playing in the Central; the division race will go to the end. The biggest hindrance to him getting the record will be the number of back to backs remaining translating to less starts.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I think it's definitely possible and shouldn't be ruled out, but one would have to think a bad stretch is coming for the Predators. Every team has one and they have yet to have theirs. I think he gets around 45-47, depending

It'd be really cool to see Rinne break 50

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad